Author Topic: Questions about Source Code Project  (Read 4561 times)

Offline Lonestar

• Fred Zone Guru
    • United Gamers Coalition
Questions about Source Code Project
What is the goal of this project?
What kind of changes are being made?
What kind fo changes would you like to make but cant?
When do you think this will be finished or ready to demo?
Do you guys have a website to show off your purdy stuff if any?
Will this be FS3?

I would like any and all relevant info on this project.

What do you guys need?

I cant help with programming or anything, but being one of the biggest fans of this series and wanting to see something from this source code i want to try atleast to get involved in a positive way.

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Re: Questions about Source Code Project
What is the goal of this project?

To modify the Freespace code to take advantage of more modern graphical advancements, fix any bugs, make modding even easier and to add features that the community wants to (such as nebulas you can fly in and out of for instance).[/quote]

What kind of changes are being made?

Lots. But it varies from little things like removing the size cap on table files to big things. Read the forums for more info on what people are doing

What kind fo changes would you like to make but cant?

I think is for many people to answer... I won't go into detail :)

Since it's in an almost WIP form the project won't be done for some time yet. Although results can already be seen such as fighter beams and modifications to the asteroid code.

Do you guys have a website to show off your purdy stuff if any?

Yes, but at this stage it needs some more content: http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/fsscp/

Will this be FS3?

No, there won't be a new story. So it won't be FS3, however if someone made a campaign based around what happens with this new code it could be called a sequel - but not a true one.

What do you guys need?

Coders, ideas... anything you think you can bring to the party!

And thanks for showing entheusiasm! (I think that's spelt wrong...heh).

Offline Inquisitor

Enthusiasm ;)

I meant to release an EXE yesterday of work to date, but couldn't circle back to everyone in time.

Expect one tonight.
No signature.

Offline penguin

• Eudyptes codus
  • Still alive.
Re: Questions about Source Code Project
Originally posted by Lonestar

1. it will never be "finished," as in "we're done, nothing left to do."  We can continue adding on to it forever :D  And unlike a commercial product, where there are release schedules, etc. we can put out a new release every week if the changes warrant it...

2.  As Inquistor posted, we will have an executable soon... anyone with a C compiler can download it now and play it.  In fact, I rarely use the (commercial) FS2.exe anymore; I always play the fs2_open version -- among other things, it doesn't nag me to put in CDs ;) and the only thing missing is the cutscenes :( but I've seen them all a thousand times anyhow...

This will not be a "demo," rather it will be the first of hopefully many releases.
your source code slave

Offline Lonestar

• Fred Zone Guru
Thanks for the quick response guys. Nice website BTW.

I wish i could code and help with the project. Ive got grande ideas about this game and what it should be or could have been. Heck I would learn coding just to help but I know it takes alot of time to learn it and at the time im in college for Multimedia webdesign. At this time i could only help you out with flash, website, databases and other website stuff.

Once the source code that you guys have manipulated is finished i can help make FS 2.9 a reality since ive made several validated missions for FS2 this is one thing i would be happy to do. Maybe i can get Fredzone into the mix, this is after all the biggest community project ive ever seen.

As for ideas, ill throw a couple out right now although the possiblity of it coming true are probably null:

Two seater bombers, one guy drives the bomber and one watches the rear and uses a turret while the driver controls missiles and primary guns.

The ability to drive capships, have many seated pilots at the help, some for weapon control, some for maneauvering (SP?)

Support ship able to be flown by the player and able to defend itself. Player can help rearm other players.

Thats a few ideas, ive got more and some are far better but i wont go into too much detail right now.

Offline Dranon

• 158th On Station
What compilers are you guys using?  And is there anywhere i can find a decent one that is free?  i am to broke to go out and buy a big programming thing....
Steak for Mayor!!

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Once the source code that you guys have manipulated is finished i can help make FS 2.9 a reality since ive made several validated missions for FS2 this is one thing i would be happy to do.

Why do you mention FS2.9? The only thing I recall with that moniker was Ascraeus' aborted (?) campaign loosely based off BEL... He did some top-notch mission scripts for it, got me all excited and eager to help, and then it all died without a squeak. :(

Do you know something that I'm dying to know? :D
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Possibly 2.9, because the response to someone mentioning...:nervous:
-C

Offline Lonestar

• Fred Zone Guru
I know many things. Like the fact their will be an unofficial sequel based of the source code that is being manipulated. These coders who work day and night, will have something to play based off it.

Su-tehp and I are working out some details now, he is the unofficial smarty pants when it comes to FS2 and its history and timelines. We got something in the works.

All i can say right now is look for an upcoming MPEG showing where this story might be going and what the future for FS holds.

Stay tuned.......

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Um... surely every campaign set post-Fs2 is an unofficial sequel?

what about PS?

Offline Lonestar

• Fred Zone Guru
Sure you could say that. Honestly its really an Addon though not an actual sequel. A sequel is more a continuation of the FS storyline with new ships and such.

It is debateable however.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Lone and I have just begun our collaboration on "Devil and the Deep Blue." He and I have just begun exchanging ideas for an introductory mpeg movie; talk of a website for "DatDB" is also in the works.

At this point, I don't think any Source Code developments will be in "DatDB", although that could change in the near future. Right now, I'm fleshing out my vision for "DatDB"; it's still very much in its early stages.

I think that lots of help will be needed with this campaign; I'll be sure to ask the HLP community here for help once I get the campaign script done.

Aldo, since you've provided a great deal of foundational work with those exceptional mods of yours, you are going to be one of the first people I call. In fact, considering your previous work, your help will be invaluable. Hopefully, you will have finished Reciprocity by the time I need your help (although, I know that is probably unlikely). :) ;7

CP5670, who is presently working on his own campaign [pImp]Procyon Insurgency[/pImp] :D, is going to be another possible candidate for assistance.

Of course anyone who wants to help will be welcome. Once I finish the script, I'll know what I need and then I'll ask the community for volunteers to help. :)
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I know many things. Like the fact their will be an unofficial sequel based of the source code that is being manipulated. These coders who work day and night, will have something to play based off it.

Su-tehp and I are working out some details now, he is the unofficial smarty pants when it comes to FS2 and its history and timelines. We got something in the works.

All i can say right now is look for an upcoming MPEG showing where this story might be going and what the future for FS holds.

Stay tuned.......

Ahh, ok, so it's not like you're in "secret" contact with Ascraeus... I've been wondering where he's dissappeared to... :doubt:
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Originally posted by sandwich
Ahh, ok, so it's not like you're in "secret" contact with Ascraeus... I've been wondering where he's dissappeared to... :doubt:

Sorry, sandwich. Lone is really excited about my campaign vision and he believes it has the potential to be a worthy successor to FS2, hence his "FS2.9" comment. I don't think I can sanction him for such a comment, though. My campaign will need his enthusiasm to stay at the forefront in the coming months. :) :cool:

Speaking for myself, I won't make any claim how great my campaign is; that will be for the FS Community to decide once they play it. So far I've got a beginning of a story and part of the middle. I need to come up with a suitable ending; that's gonna be the tough part.

And then there's going to be the actual building of the campaign and the missions... Thank God I learned how to delegate authority! :D

As for Ascraeus, I have no idea what happened to that guy. I was really looking forward to FS2.9, but it looks as if we'll have to fend for ourselves, same as it's always been.:sigh:

In any case, the FS Community will survive; it always has before. :nod:
« Last Edit: August 12, 2002, 08:08:13 pm by 387 »

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Su-tehp

So far I've got a beginning of a story and part of the middle. I need to come up with a suitable ending; that's gonna be the tough part.

Ok, well just don't step on the toes of the campaign I have in the.... oops, the cat's out of the bag! Quick, where's that darned edit button! ;)

Offline Lonestar

• Fred Zone Guru
I was not hasty in my reply about it being fs2.9

Su-tehp your story Idea is absolutely amazing and have thought of everything. In my eyes this should be Fs3 but i guess it can be called fs2.9

You dont give yourself enough credit Su-tehp the idea is absolutely amazing and would be surprised to see anyone find wholes in its story. Although fs 3 could be written in an infintie number of ways, yours just fits. It fits so good that im going to shut up now before its given away.

ALL FEAR SUTEHPS STORY YOU WILL TREMBLE IN ITS PRESENCE!!!

And i mean every word of that, FEAR THE SU-MEISTER!

Sorry Su-tehp ill shut up now......

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue

Su-tehp your story Idea is absolutely amazing and have thought of everything. In my eyes this should be Fs3 but i guess it can be called fs2.9

You dont give yourself enough credit Su-tehp the idea is absolutely amazing and would be surprised to see anyone find holes in its story. Although fs 3 could be written in an infintie number of ways, yours just fits. It fits so good that im going to shut up now before its given away.

ALL FEAR SUTEHP'S STORY YOU WILL TREMBLE IN ITS PRESENCE!!!

And i mean every word of that, FEAR THE SU-MEISTER!

Sorry Su-tehp ill shut up now......

LOL! See what I mean about his enthusiasm?

Of course, Lone, you know of the pact we spoke of. If you dare break it, I'll whop you so hard, so fast and so many times, Oldman will start getting cane-envy! :p ;) :D ;7
« Last Edit: August 12, 2002, 08:30:14 pm by 387 »

The Order of the Stick

Offline Lonestar

• Fred Zone Guru
LOL, i wouldnt dare, i know oldmans cane tactics and to imagine you weilding one with your intelligence is scary to say the least. I mean Old's mind has deteriorated with age, meanwhile your in your prime, i couldnt just point behind you and say "whats that?" and you would look. Oh no, you would whack me while i point.

GJ dude. This MPEG to show your Elitness in story telling will be a joy to create.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

Ok, well it sounds like you missed the point, as well as the thread(s) a while back... I'll hunt them up, but let's just say for now that you can't really call it FS2.9 any more than you can call it Blackwater Ops... the name/moniker's already taken - even if it is a "dead" campaign, it'd just cause too much confusion.

Edit: Here's the link to that topic, but I'm afraid that the sublinks don't work anymore... :-/

Offline Lonestar

• Fred Zone Guru
Ok fs2.8 then :p