Author Topic: Release: 3.7.0 Final  (Read 120753 times)

Offline Lorric

Just the ones that don't work thanks.  If they're from a non-well-known mod, a link to the mods download page would be super helpful.
Sure. I've got no idea what to do with this Mantis thing though.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
ok - Mantis is the bug tracker used by the SCP.  Sign up for an account, then "report issue".  Fill in the fields, add as much detail as possible in the description & "how to reproduce", attach the pilots and you're done.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Lorric

ok - Mantis is the bug tracker used by the SCP.  Sign up for an account, then "report issue".  Fill in the fields, add as much detail as possible in the description & "how to reproduce", attach the pilots and you're done.

I'll try.

But suddenly I have a much larger problem. I was trying something with the pilots, went to delete some plr/csg files, and unknowingly deleted my entire Data>Players>Single folder! Only the single one, the rest is there.

I've redownloaded the attachments, so I still have my pilots, but I need the contents of that folder back. Where can I get them do you know?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
The only non-pilot file that needs to be in Data>Players>Single is a folder called "inferno".
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Lorric

The only non-pilot file that needs to be in Data>Players>Single is a folder called "inferno".
Now I know there was some stuff (not much) inside the single folder with the inferno folder. So I'll be okay without those things? So I'll create a single folder and an inferno folder within and put the pilots inside the inferno folder.

Thanks. I've just received the confirmation e-mail and signed up to Mantis as well.

Offline Lorric

I've done the Mantis thing. I hope I did alright.

Sorry if this may sound... rude, but has there been a solution to the pilot conversion stuff? I'm using 1 pilot for all of my campaigns(on 3.6.18), and losing progress in 4-5 currently active campaigns isn't something I'd welcome. So far I haven't been able to convert campaign progress, let alone kills and medals(which I'm also kinda attached to, but that's a bit less important than campaign progress).  Also minor, I think some of my controls are different when I switch, but that's an easy fix.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Also minor, I think some of my controls are different when I switch, but that's an easy fix.
This is intended behaviour. The new pilot format now stores different keybinds for each campaign.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Sorry if this may sound... rude, but has there been a solution to the pilot conversion stuff? I'm using 1 pilot for all of my campaigns(on 3.6.18), and losing progress in 4-5 currently active campaigns isn't something I'd welcome.

Well, there have been fixes for some conversion problems, but not all, e.g. I haven't had a look at Lorrics pilots to attempt to resolve their issues yet.  However, the way the current conversion works it can't convert multiple campaigns associated with single 3.6.18 pilot, it's one pilot one campaign unfortunately.  One pilot multiple campaigns would require some extra code to implement, it may not be too hard but I don't know when I'll get time to look at it.
----
----

Well, that's OK. AFAIK there aren't any campaigns that require 3.7, so I can wait till either it gets fixed or I complete all the campaigns currently in progress.
I guess it's my own fault for being too lazy to create multiple pilots for different campaigns.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Samus

thanks this version works great!

Offline FSHero

Congratulations on the release of 3.7.0 final!
I remember playing FS2 back from when 3.6.12 was still being played; three years have passed so quickly, but this has been worth the wait. A whole generation of mods (e.g. Blue Planet) will gain benefit from your efforts.

Unfortunately I have not played FS2 for a while due to work commitments, but hopefully I can join in some multiplayer in the near future and break this new release out in style!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Hey Goober, I just saw this change in Axem's newsletter:

For wing names with hash symbols, put the ship number before the hash (plus refactor part of wing names code) - Goober5000 (useful if you want wing members to have correct names in identically named but different wings)

Let's say I have a ship in wing Ken#. Under the new change, will that fighter now display as Ken 1 rather than Ken? This is a pretty big issue for BP.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Hey Goober, I just saw this change in Axem's newsletter:

For wing names with hash symbols, put the ship number before the hash (plus refactor part of wing names code) - Goober5000 (useful if you want wing members to have correct names in identically named but different wings)

Let's say I have a ship in wing Ken#. Under the new change, will that fighter now display as Ken 1 rather than Ken? This is a pretty big issue for BP.
I recall there being discussion, at the time, of needing to make sure that e.g. The Blade Itself didn't give you Katana 1, and it has to do with whether or not there's any text after the hash mark. Let me see if I can dig up the relevant thread...

EDIT: Here it is. http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=86223.msg1722806#msg1722806
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Ok, that makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately I'm not sure it's enough to solve the problem; I suspect this might have broken some other stuff in BP, and maybe closed off an important chunk of mission design space.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
Ok, that makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately I'm not sure it's enough to solve the problem; I suspect this might have broken some other stuff in BP, and maybe closed off an important chunk of mission design space.
Are there any instances in BP of wing names with text after the hash mark?

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
That's what I'm worried about - I'm mostly concerned about multiple instances of the same ship (like, say, Ken#, Ken#2, Ken#3) in a mission. This could also be a problem for Transcend, maybe other mods.

If I'm understanding the solution right, Ken#2 will now appear as Ken 1, right? And so will Ken#3?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
That's what I'm worried about - I'm mostly concerned about multiple instances of the same ship (like, say, Ken#, Ken#2, Ken#3) in a mission. This could also be a problem for Transcend, maybe other mods.

If I'm understanding the solution right, Ken#2 will now appear as Ken 1, right? And so will Ken#3?
That's my understanding of the solution, yes. Can you think of another way to do it while also allowing it to work with wings that should have numbers appear, which was what the patch was originally meant to solve?

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Yeah, I've been thinking about that - very tricky. I'm not sure. It might be safe to implement another special character, assuming it's one that hasn't ever been used in ship names before...

Honestly, I think this is almost a total non-issue, since individual fighters don't have to belong to wings. It might have broken one mission in BP, so I'll have to follow up on that.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 04:08:20 pm by General Battuta »

Offline Christopherger

• Beyond Infinity Space Becomes Closer
    • 3D Worlds and Game Developers Research Group
Hello all glad to see development has continued and I hope the Schoolmaster is still around. :)

i am re installing...just grab the downloads in the OP and go? any special instrucitons?

I am still using XP SP3 FX 9600 Vid card..any surprises or no gos?

thanks again for the amazing effort here.
Admin
3D Worlds and Game Developers Group  Linedin
"We Build Worlds"