Author Topic: Freespace trademark, to be bought by "Stompy Bot Productions inc." game company?  (Read 20729 times)

Offline -Sara-

Re: Freespace trademark, to be bought by "Stompy Bot Productions inc." game company?
There is always that chance that Stompy Bot is so new that they have no idea how things work and (wrongly so) figured that if they owned the trademark, they could make the game.
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Re: Freespace trademark, to be bought by "Stompy Bot Productions inc." game company?
Watch it be Derek Smart again.
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline AtomicClucker

• Runnin' from Trebs

Somehow the image of Derek Smart trying to buy the Freespace trademark from a dumpster using rats as currency comes to mind.
Blame Blue Planet for my Freespace2 addiction.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Actually, the only thing that comes into my mind is YMCA spelled out with FreeSpace ships.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Luis Dias

Probably they were very curious about the JAD mods and are now trying to make a pro version of them.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
I blame Axem.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

"When in doubt, blame Axem."

Offline -Sara-

Atleast he wouldn't have a trademark conflict with BOSE's FreeSpace 3, as he'd probably call it Freespace 3000. :P
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/840/carrierhangar1.jpg/

:)

Your implications, good sir, are bold indeed.
I doubt Chris Roberts would ever work on a Freespace title. As I understand, the relationship between Wing Commander and Freespace is like the relationship between Star Wars and Star Trek.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 11:54:14 am by haloboy100 »
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Yo just got it from a games-news report about a new freespace, so they got the **** wrong

Also, I just noticed -
:welcome:
You're new. Have fun here. :)

Really? Perhaps...or perhaps they may have reason for calling it Freespace? ;)
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
It also seems silly to buy the rights to Freespace and then make a game unrelated to it. That would just cause confusion among gaming fans. You would just call your game a different name otherwise.

*COUGH*X-COMFPS*COUGH*
 :p

Ahem, yes I definitely hope it will be a space sim... maybe even with some of the ex-staff from :v:!

Offline iVoid

So all this remains in the arcane undecipherable writings of the law? No news?

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/840/carrierhangar1.jpg/

:)

Your implications, good sir, are bold indeed.
I doubt Chris Roberts would ever work on a Freespace title. As I understand, the relationship between Wing Commander and Freespace is like the relationship between Star Wars and Star Trek.

More like between Star Wars and the original Battlestar Galactica...
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Yeah, I don't think Trek and Wars have any legit bad blood, only some silly general nerd-sniping.  Hell, I saw Lucas himself on a TV special about Gene Roddenberry, saying how much he'd made possible because of TOS.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Exactly, the whole Star Trek/Wars debacle is nothing more than galactic size forced fan wanking on the trek of a franchise's life.

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
Thank you. Thank you for saying that.

That is why I no longer participate in the Star Trek or Star Wars fandom. No-one wants to have fun or have silly ideas. They just want to argue and throw insults at each other most of the time, and go "MY STAR**** HAS MORE PIGGATONS THAN YOUR SPACE**** DOES!!!!1111

I hated it then, and I still hate it now. It's toxic to trying to simply have fun. You can't even mention liking both, because in most places someone will throw a hissy fit, because god forbid someone liking the "enemy".  :nono:

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
well thank god freespace doesn't have any rivals, only predecessors.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 10:46:37 pm by yuezhi »
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Tell that to some of the Wing Commander community.  Apparently there's a vocal minority that feels like FS2 killed the genre. :p