Author Topic: "Fan activities"  (Read 3296 times)

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Just what is this category supposed to be about?

"Fan activities" would mean just about everything having to do with FreeSpace other than the retail data, and a lot of the stuff in the category has nothing to do with the other stuff in the category.

Suggestion: either rename it, get rid of it, or put its contents into their own categories and get rid of it. Or go through every single thing and see if it is a fan activity of some sort, and put that in the category... but that's not really a viable option.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Getting rid of it is not a good idea, as it would again leave some pages categoryless. Renaming is the way to go, but I was low on ideas about it when I created it. The pages that are in there don't belong to any other category in my interpretation of it, so handle it as a placeholder category. Perhaps Lightspeed's Nebula Pack could go to Modding.

I'm open to suggestions.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 09:12:48 am by TopAce »
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Well, looking at the list:

The two subcategories really have nothing to do with each other, and since they're categories already I see no reason to keep them as subcategories.

The articles about BitTorrent ... they probably belong in whatever category there is (and I'm sure there is one) about obtaining the game.

Criticisms of the Shivan Manifesto ... (although I find some of the points questionable in both the manifesto and its criticisms) put it with the Shivan theories, methinks

The list of fan sites ... many of them are defunct or have been incorporated into the hard-light domain as hosted projects. And we already have the whole "Community Portal" for that anyway.

Headz... this one is tough. The article is very short, and doesn't really fit in one specific category... I vote we wait for more suggestions for how to deal with that aspect.

Lightspeed's nebs should be in modding, and any other categories they are relevant to. Articles can be in more than one category after all.

All the "... ideas" articles should be in a "Campaign Ideas" category (I think this is pretty obvious).

And user-made music probably belongs in modding.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Why must every page have a category? :confused:

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

What he said.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Idunno, I guess I just assumed that what TopAce said reflected some policy you guys had in place. Some of these should definitely be in a category though, either because they fit together well and need to be grouped or because they belong in an already existing category.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor

Because categoryless pages are hard to find, if you don't know what pages link to it or how the article is titled. Browsing categories is the most convenient way of looking around in a Wiki.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
So that you can "explore the FreeSpace universe through categories."

Besides it makes things easier to find, as said before.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Just make the changed like I said. The portal system is just as good as categories.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
And how many articles are linked to from the categories? Only a few, and some of those links are outdated (redirects).

Besides, I made some recategorization. See Recent Changes.