Author Topic: Forum game: Rules/Discussion  (Read 163705 times)

Offline Lorric

Re: Forum game: Rules/Discussion
This will be hard for me to keep track of. If you are unsure if you will make next turn I'd rather you'd appoint someone else to do the turn for you (and let me know about it in here)
Why are you being so stubborn? Just let them move. It doesn't take a genius to figure out they would want to make the same moves I gave. You've still got loads of time to process the turn. Let the people who are sorry have nothing to be sorry about.

Also, what if we all make a pledge that anyone can move our fleets any turn if we're not there? Then will we be allowed to prevent this?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Lorric, something like this takes a LOT of bookkeeping. Not only would Spoon have to track all moves of all players for the current turn, it also means keeping track of future ones.

I don't know how much time and energy Spoon has to invest in this already, but I would imagine that that amount is limited.

Finally, this is his game, and you are playing by his rules. If he says that posting moves for future turns is not allowed or that those moves will be ignored, those are the rules.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Lorric

Finally, this is his game, and you are playing by his rules. If he says that posting moves for future turns is not allowed or that those moves will be ignored, those are the rules.
I know that if he's adamant in the end there's nothing I can do. But I really believe he's making a bad mistake with this for everyone, including himself. I just want to talk. Even if he says no to this turn, maybe we can discuss a workable plan for prevention in future turns.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I believe we already have a workable plan for the future.

If you are unsure if you will make next turn I'd rather you'd appoint someone else to do the turn for you (and let me know about it in here)

I understand where Enioch is coming from with the orders-for-future idea, but I doubt I'd ever use it. It's too hard to consider all factors & make an informed decision when you don't know what the Hierarchy is going to do next.  I'd much prefer to say (for example) "AndrewOfDoom / 1st UGCR can give orders for the 2nd UGCR next turn".
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Lorric

I believe we already have a workable plan for the future.
The idea of appointing someone to do your turn if you're unsure you can make it would not work if you missed it when you didn't think you would miss it.

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer
I offered the suggestion, because of Spoon's 'not-a-single-player-game' response, in order to allow each player to control his fleet when unavailable. I agree that any 'old' orders would probably be not perfectly adapted to the situation as it develops; but they would probably be better than the fleet just standing there and taking it (while occupying valuable front-line system slots).

However,

Finally, this is his game, and you are playing by his rules.

And the case is closed. Since it will be possible to assign other players as emergency commanders, the point is moot anyway.

EDIT for Lorric: OK, then. On the record, and for the future, if I fail to give orders to my fleet, you are permitted to do so yourself (pending Spoon's veto). Should you do give any orders before the deadline, and I show up in time, I reserve the right to submit my own orders.

Now really, calm down. You offer some valid arguments and I realize that some of the others and myself have somehow ruined the experience for you and I have apologized for it, but it is still just a game.
'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)

Offline Lorric

And the case is closed. Since it will be possible to assign other players as emergency commanders, the point is moot anyway.

EDIT for Lorric: OK, then. On the record, and for the future, if I fail to give orders to my fleet, you are permitted to do so yourself (pending Spoon's veto). Should you do give any orders before the deadline, and I show up in time, I reserve the right to submit my own orders.

Now really, calm down. You offer some valid arguments and I realize that some of the others and myself have somehow ruined the experience for you and I have apologized for it, but it is still just a game.
If we're allowed to assign others as emergency commanders on a permanant basis, and not a turn by turn one, I'm fine with that, I can get behind that. And thank you for your trust.

I do not bear any of the absentees any ill will. I just want to help us all get the best we can out of this.

We also need a plan for if someone drops out of the game, not just a turn.

If I know that I don't have access to the internet for some time and can't give an order, can I allow someone else to give the next order in my place?
And yes, you can. If its for a limited time (say, 3-4 weeks tops) and I know about it.
If you are unsure if you will make next turn I'd rather you'd appoint someone else to do the turn for you (and let me know about it in here)
This would be bending the rules as Spoon explicitly stated that it can't be permanent. You can repeat it every 3-4 weeks but that's also kind of stupid. Let's just do things as they come and if someone misses his turn without knowing it beforehand then that's unlucky. Spoon said he expected it and won't go total badass by killing people off directly. Can't we trust him on that matter instead of trying to change the rules of his forum game until he's completely annoyed by it?
I sincerely hope no one here will hold a grudge against someone missing his turn and causing some really huge problems in the game. These things happen frequently in most realtime based browser games and are just part of playing them. I'll have my fun even if we go down cause of this.

We also need a plan for if someone drops out of the game, not just a turn.
I think if it is absolutely clear and there is someone else interested who is not yet playing the game (and Spoon allows it), this person may take over command. Otherwise we get a static fleet sitting around somewhere or it gets destroyed. Might still be of tactical use for us...
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 10:26:46 am by Admiral MS »
Here goes scripting and copy paste coding
Freespace RTS Mod
Checkpoint/Shipsaveload script

Offline Lorric

This would be bending the rules as Spoon explicitly stated that it can't be permanent. You can repeat it every 3-4 weeks but that's also kind of stupid. Let's just do things as they come and if someone misses his turn without knowing it beforehand then that's unlucky.
It would be so easy to fix though, that's what's bugging me. Spoon wouldn't even have to do anything, just leave it to us to take care of. We're quite capable of creating a contingency plan for this among ourselves, he doesn't have to lift a finger.

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Well, now that Spoon has agreed to let people appoint emergency commanders, we have a solution. Problem solved, in the future anyway. I empower Lorric, or anyone else, to take my turn for me if I'm missing (not that I think I'll actually miss a turn, but still). I propose that each of us, now, decides who can control their fleet if they're absent, in case this happens again.
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline Lorric

Well, now that Spoon has agreed to let people appoint emergency commanders, we have a solution. Problem solved, in the future anyway. I empower Lorric, or anyone else, to take my turn for me if I'm missing (not that I think I'll actually miss a turn, but still). I propose that each of us, now, decides who can control their fleet if they're absent, in case this happens again.
I don't know if he's going to let us do it on a permanant basis, but as I said before I would be okay with this as a solution.

I too would be okay with anyone else. If I have to pick a specific person, would you be willing to be my second, and do you think you will be available near the deadline? I'm not sure what timezone you are on.

Maybe if we follow your proposal, Spoon will too.

I would be happy to be anyone's second. Perhaps others could also declare if they are willing to assume the role of second.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 11:29:07 am by Lorric »

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
You guys have no idea how many times I've mistyped Aldebaran as Alderbaron

I don't know if he's going to let us do it on a permanant basis
I won't.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Lorric

You guys have no idea how many times I've mistyped Aldebaran as Alderbaron
I did this for a time, but I did Alderbaran. But I sorted it out. I can't remember where it was, it might have been FS1, but after that I heard the commander pronounce the system name, it wasn't how I expected, and yet it fits the way it is spelt. The deberan part sounds a lot like it is spelt, but think how Debra is said. And the end part is pronounced "on", not "an".

I won't.
I just do not understand you... why...? :confused:

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I just do not understand you...

Or in other words, because this is how I rule it. And that's my final say on the matter. Further attempts to argue about this will fall on deaf ears.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Lorric

Well, you know what I think about it. But...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yaGOS9KyE4&hl=en-GB&gl=GB#t=0m40s

So let's put this behind us and move forward.  :)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
AdmiralRalwood, Admiral MS lemme know here what traits you wanna pick for your promotion (Both of you have admiral in your name, it seemed fitting)
Urutorahappī!!

I'm going to go use Combined Arms and beat the crap out of 2nd Zy in Aldebaran.  Anyone interested in helping me?
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Veers

Ladies and Gentlemen, children of all ages (13 and over), may I present to you a kick in teeth. The 1st Hertak Fleet, accompanied by the 1st .... I mean Fura'ngle fleet.

I suggest we kick them back, in the b*lls if they do have them. The 1st CRF and 1st DD won't be able to hold Draco, even with the 3rd SF at full strength.

So if we don't play our cards right, we are going to take a huge beating in the Southern Sector this and next turn. Not to mention Tauri

In other news, congrats DD Admirals. Don't spent all your time playing with your shiny new badges and 3rd gen tech! :D
Current Activities/Projects: Ideas and some storyline completed.

ArmA 2&3 Mission Designer and player.

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Okay, here's my thoughts.

Missed players or no, that turn didn't go too bad, but yes, we've got to contain the situation in Tauri and Draco.

Do you think we should just hit the 1st Nordera as hard as we can with our current forces in Hydra and fall back from Draco to avoid destruction by the enemy forces there? Or should we rotate the 3rd DD and one of our fleets from Hydra into Draco, so that we can stall the Hierarchy in Draco for another turn, even if it means having less fleets to attack the 1st Nordera in Hydra with? I'd really like to savage the 1st Nordera with a full three-fleet attack and start wrapping up in Hydra, but the enemy fleets in Draco are simply too powerful to let rampage unchecked.

In the north, I'd say move the 2nd SF into Aldebaran and move the 2nd UGCR or 2nd CRF up into Tauri to attack the 1st Zy and then absorb the Tauri forces' counterattack on their next turn. The 4th SF is well-rested enough to join the 2nd CRF/UGCR in this attack. Hopefully (I haven't done the math), if those two fleets can hit the 1st Zy hard, our two hypothetical fleets can survive the next turn, while having done significant damage to the 1st Zy. Pull the 1st SF out to rest up, of course. That way, we'll still have three strong fleets in Aldebaran to hit the 2nd Zy, and also start hitting the enemy fleets in Tauri. I still think that we need to retake Tauri eventually; that way, we'll be able to hold them at Aldebaran much easier. Hopefully, we should have the fleets available to eventually do that.
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline Lorric

Okay, here's my thoughts.

Missed players or no, that turn didn't go too bad, but yes, we've got to contain the situation in Tauri and Draco.

Do you think we should just hit the 1st Nordera as hard as we can with our current forces in Hydra and fall back from Draco to avoid destruction by the enemy forces there? Or should we rotate the 3rd DD and one of our fleets from Hydra into Draco, so that we can stall the Hierarchy in Draco for another turn, even if it means having less fleets to attack the 1st Nordera in Hydra with? I'd really like to savage the 1st Nordera with a full three-fleet attack and start wrapping up in Hydra, but the enemy fleets in Draco are simply too powerful to let rampage unchecked.

In the north, I'd say move the 2nd SF into Aldebaran and move the 2nd UGCR or 2nd CRF up into Tauri to attack the 1st Zy and then absorb the Tauri forces' counterattack on their next turn. The 4th SF is well-rested enough to join the 2nd CRF/UGCR in this attack. Hopefully (I haven't done the math), if those two fleets can hit the 1st Zy hard, our two hypothetical fleets can survive the next turn, while having done significant damage to the 1st Zy. Pull the 1st SF out to rest up, of course. That way, we'll still have three strong fleets in Aldebaran to hit the 2nd Zy, and also start hitting the enemy fleets in Tauri. I still think that we need to retake Tauri eventually; that way, we'll be able to hold them at Aldebaran much easier. Hopefully, we should have the fleets available to eventually do that.
I don’t know if I’ll get my plans out tonight, but the way the turn went has restored my enthusiasm, so I’m just as enthusiastic as ever again.

For the bottom, I’d need to start working things out but I’m thinking stall the Nordera and attack the Hertak. The Nordera are just a minor annoyance and should be treated as such.

For the top, I’m actually looking at the 3rd Cordi as the primary target, because I believe we can kill them, while we can’t kill anything else. I need to do the math.

Oh and I’ll add on the promotions, surely the only choice is the morale one, to correct the greatest weakness of the DD.