Author Topic: Forum game: Rules/Discussion  (Read 163774 times)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Re: Forum game: Rules/Discussion
While I appreciate the enthusiasm, I don't think you have to tell everyone what exactly to do and what to choose, Lorric.  :p
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Lorric

While I appreciate the enthusiasm, I don't think you have to tell everyone what exactly to do and what to choose, Lorric.  :p
I don't. They can do whatever they want. I'm just trying to help. Discuss things. No one has had a problem with it so far, and we've done well so far.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I'm just sayin', if I was a player myself I would find it slightly annoying to have someone 'recommend' me every possible thing I might or might not do or pick.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Lorric

I'm just sayin', if I was a player myself I would find it slightly annoying to have someone 'recommend' me every possible thing I might or might not do or pick.
I can see that. But I just want what's best for us all, to talk about our moves and our strategy. Surely, that's what we should be doing, planning, discussing the merits of moves. I can't tell anyone what to do. I understand and accept that the final word on their turn must be theirs. As I accepted the final word on the rules of your game must be yours. Everyone has been receptive to my advice so far. And if they take it, they haven't had their turn made for them, they are still making a decision of their own free will, their minds have processed the merits of the idea and accepted it. I want everyone to have the best experience possible, I want us to be a team and maybe even friends.

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer
Hey Spoon, can you please confirm when I will be able to prepare barrage once more? I prepared it at turn 2.

And here's a scenario for you, let me know if I got this right:

I have barrage prepared now. If I double move, and get to Draco, I will be unable to attack. I will probably be attacked, though. When that happens, I will epend barrage for etra delicious damage. Right so far?

Now for the sake of argument, let us assume that I start my next turn in Draco (having just been attacked), with prepare barrage available (Let's say the Countdown just expired). Can I use my minor (first action) to prepare barrage again, and immediately attack with my major (second action) for extra terrible, terrible damage?

And @ Lorric: you suggested I stop at Vega and Defend. Is there any reason why I shouldn't double move to Draco? Are we planning to completely abandon the system? From what I gather, some fleets (1st DD, most notably) are bound to retreat, so doesn't it make sense to plug the holes in the front?
'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)

Offline Lorric

Hey Spoon, can you please confirm when I will be able to prepare barrage once more? I prepared it at turn 2.

I have barrage prepared now. If I double move, and get to Draco, I will be unable to attack. I will probably be attacked, though. When that happens, I will epend barrage for etra delicious damage. Right so far?

Now for the sake of argument, let us assume that I start my next turn in Draco (having just been attacked), with prepare barrage available (Let's say the Countdown just expired). Can I use my minor (first action) to prepare barrage again, and immediately attack with my major (second action) for extra terrible, terrible damage?

And @ Lorric: you suggested I stop at Vega and Defend. Is there any reason why I shouldn't double move to Draco? Are we planning to completely abandon the system? From what I gather, some fleets (1st DD, most notably) are bound to retreat, so doesn't it make sense to plug the holes in the front?
I'm pretty confident this question got asked and that you can't stack specials like that. You will of course be able to use it again straight after your first engagement.

Draco is going to be full if my suggestions are followed. There isn't room for you in the system, the max number of fleets from one side is 3, there will be 3 allied fleets attacking the Hertak.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
You prepared it for turn 3, regardless your barrage should be off cooldown on turn 5 and not 6. My mistake. It's been corrected.

I have barrage prepared now. If I double move, and get to Draco, I will be unable to attack. I will probably be attacked, though. When that happens, I will spend barrage for extra delicious damage. Right so far?
Yes

So one question:
When I use prepare barrage will it hold until the next fight no matter how many turns it takes? Is the cooldown still running during that time? If yes can I use it again after 3 turns and get 4+4 damage (like the zeal ability stacking)?
Once you've prepared the barrage there is indeed no limit on the amount of turns it takes to the next battle. And the cooldown starts its count down after you've prepared it. However you cannot stack multiple barrages for massive bonuses.

So for example you could use prepare barrage on turn 3, then have your next battle at turn 8. The ability has come off of cooldown in this time so you can immediately use prepare barrage again in the next turn. This works the same for the LSF's Combined Arms
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Lorric

Spoon, while you're answering questions, if you please...

I’m just looking at my fleet in the latest post:

2nd CRF Fleet:
- Fighter attack strength: 17 (16+2+1)
- Capital attack strength: 17 (17+1)
- Fighters at 79% Strength, 3rd Gen
- Capital ships at 86% Strength
- Morale: Very High
- Zeal on Cooldown, Available again on Turn 7

I should have +2 for Very High morale, right? So should it be like this?

2nd CRF Fleet:
- Fighter attack strength: 18 (16+2+2)
- Capital attack strength: 18 (17+2)
- Fighters at 79% Strength, 3rd Gen
- Capital ships at 86% Strength
- Morale: Very High
- Zeal on Cooldown, Available again on Turn 7

And may we have intel on the 5th Cordi and 2nd Fura’ngle fleets?

And finally, what happens if the fighter strength is reduced to 0%? does damage start carrying over to Capital Strength then?

Offline Enioch

You prepared it for turn 3, regardless your barrage should be off cooldown on turn 5 and not 6. My mistake. It's been corrected.

So I can use it on turn 5? And it does apply to same-turn attacks, if I use it before attacking?

The 2nd LSF will be on full strength next turn. If it becomes necessary, it can move in on it's first action, and cover your withdrawal on your second action.
If 2nd LSF gets any order this turn and next turn, else I'm alone.

About the promotion: Taking morale assumes I'm getting some heavy beating soon, same for resupply although this might be useful after one battle. Aggressive leader provides a 2/2 bonus that won't go away even under the worst attack. Now what will happen first - loss due to critical morale or due to zero fleet strength?
Why am I so indecisive? :D

So I can use it on turn 5? And it does apply to same-turn attacks, if I use it before attacking?
I used barrage as first order and attacked as second order for turn 2. You just have to use your already prepared barrage this turn so that it can be used again after turn 5.
Here goes scripting and copy paste coding
Freespace RTS Mod
Checkpoint/Shipsaveload script

Offline Lorric

If 2nd LSF gets any order this turn and next turn, else I'm alone.

About the promotion: Taking morale assumes I'm getting some heavy beating soon, same for resupply although this might be useful after one battle. Aggressive leader provides a 2/2 bonus that won't go away even under the worst attack. Now what will happen first - loss due to critical morale or due to zero fleet strength?
Why am I so indecisive? :D

I'l make some worst-case-scenario calculations for you soon then. And if necessary someone from Draco could step in instead.

On the spaecial, I'd take the morale one not only for the reasons I stated, but because damage is something that can be amplified with support from our other fleets, while morale, there is no protection from that that the rest of us can help with. You're already going to grow stronger with the addition of 3rd gen fighters, plus the 1/1 you'd get from the morale boost. Your damage output wil be pretty respectable with that, and the morale thing will clear away your only real weakness.

Offline Lorric

Right, so worst case scenario (barring a suicide attack from the Hertak) I believe would be the 1st Fura’ngle coming in to attack you together with the 1st Nordera.

2nd DD Fleet:
- Fighter attack strength: 15+8=23 (18+1)
- Capital attack strength: 15+8+4 (barrage) =27 (17+1)
- Fighters at 78% Strength, 2nd Gen (59dmg)
- Capital ships at 80% Strength (59dmg)
- Morale: High

vs.

1st Nordera Fleet:
Fighter attack strength: 16+7=23 (10+2)
Capital attack strength: 13+8=21 (8+2)
Fighters at 136% Strength (12dmg)
Capital ships at 137% Strength (14dmg)

1st Fura'ngle Fleet:
Fighter attack strength: 22+14=36 (16)
Capital attack strength: 27+11=38 (20)
Fighters at 136% Strength (12dmg)
Capital ships at 136% Strength (14dmg)
Morale: Normal

I think Spoon might round up these split damage scores.

Now I can tell without calculating an unprotected retreat would destroy you. But you know what this means, don’t you? Only the 3rd Nordera could attack our fleets in Draco. So they’d still be in good shape, so in they’d come to beat on the enemy and cover your retreat if the 2nd LSF doesn‘t move. You’re safe. But I’ve had a little pm exchange with Dragon now. He still intends to play the game, so hopefully he won’t miss the following turn.

The team is back together. :)

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth

Well, in a strategic game like this, it's really helpful to have everyone following a unified plan. That requires having a leader to come up with the plan. Lorric's essentially volunteered to do this, and people have been willing to freely follow his suggestions and not complain about it.

In Hydra, I'd support having the 2nd DD hold the line until 2nd LSF can relieve them on the next turn. The enemy isn't stupid enough to move units back from Draco, with a damaged 1st Hertak and 3-4 fleets pressing them, to try and kill one fleet in a system that they can't hold.
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline Lorric

Well, in a strategic game like this, it's really helpful to have everyone following a unified plan. That requires having a leader to come up with the plan. Lorric's essentially volunteered to do this, and people have been willing to freely follow his suggestions and not complain about it.
It's sort of just happened this way. :D

It would have been your turn last turn if we'd been able to follow your plan, I'll follow what I believe is the best plan. But hey, this way you get to personally get yourself a piece of the Hertak!  :nod:

So if I'm reading everything correctly, everybody in Draco wants to dogpile the 1st Hertak before they steamroll us all, correct? If that's so, then I'll get ready for the charge.

Offline Lorric

So if I'm reading everything correctly, everybody in Draco wants to dogpile the 1st Hertak before they steamroll us all, correct? If that's so, then I'll get ready for the charge.
That is correct. And it's going to look great on the video! :cool:

Offline Enioch

I used barrage as first order and attacked as second order for turn 2. You just have to use your already prepared barrage this turn so that it can be used again after turn 5.

And that is why I am jockeying to get a position in Draco. If I don't, we delay all barrage bonuses of the 3rd DD by a turn.  :blah:

On the other hand, if I double move, I'll have to receive attacks, and not target specific enemies. Which might be problematic (let's say the Hertak target someone else, and I 'waste' the barrage on the Nordies). If, on the other hand, I wait and rotate one of the damaged fleets out, I can hit with a targeted barrage two times in a row (on turns 6 and 7), and knock some heads together. I'll have the benefit of 3rd gen fighters on both attacks as well.  :drevil:

So, on second thought, yeah, Vega looks good for the moment. Don't hesitate to retreat there when the Hertak & Co. have kicked you around for a bit.

Offline Lorric

He he, you're itching for a fight, Enioch!

Don't worry. I think you'll get one on the turn after this one. :nod:

We have Droid!, We have Droid!

I declare total Victory under our Elf-Overlords. :D

That came out in my head in a sing-song type way. Interesting... Welcome Aboard Droid803!
I for one welcome our new space elf overlords!
Called it!
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Oh no, I've been discovered.
And also I was too slow/lazy picking a name D:
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================