Author Topic: Ghost no more  (Read 9463 times)

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
I was getting tired of the phantom Sobek that Raa's HTL version has become, so I plugged it through Max real fast.  I haven't tested it extensively, but it should be at least very, very close to a MediaVP version.  Raa's HTL Sobek v1.2, now with full collision.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2005, 11:29:18 am by 570 »
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
I'll have the Ares ready in a moment. And at one point there was a Nahema Bomber that I fixed the UVing on, and reconverted, but Lightspeed has the only copy of that, and he was going to make new maps for it before his life took over him.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline adwight

• Neo-Terran
  • Go Gators!
Neo-Terra Victorious

The Lightning Marshall

158th Banshee Squadron

Gay people are rejects who can't get girls. Period. -DragonClaw
Can I have sex with it yet? -KnightTemplar

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Lazy, lazy, lazy ;)

It's a sobek, so there's only so much to show.  There are screens in this thread.

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
Is that floating turret gone?
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
I know I fixed it on my version, but I don't think I was able to release mine. :doubt: Hopefully Stratt fixed it, else, I'll send him the latest copy I have of the Sobek, with the fixed turrets, and a slight rounding of the engines.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
I did fix the turrets.  If you've rounded the engines then send it on and I'll slap it in, but otherwise it's taken care of.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Nah. It's not worth the effort.

I'm getting a bit sick of the ares. When I get everything lookinf like it's fine, the damned exporter puts the cocpit glass texture ahead of the cocpit texture.

It shouldn't, since it's last in the multi-texture material, but max is a ***** and I don't feel like putting up with it. I'm too tired/depressed/angry to deal with it tonight. I don't know when I'll finish it, if I do. If you want to take care of that one, do so.

I don't care about my rep any more...

[color=002800]:sigh:god, I feel like just finishing what I owe people and just leaving. leaving and never coming back.[/color]

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
Thanks for all the effort, StratComm, its great to see all these ships properly converted an in game! :)

Once the Ares gets fixed up, chop off the tail extrusions and presto! instant Herc II! :)
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Originally posted by Raa
Nah. It's not worth the effort.

I'm getting a bit sick of the ares. When I get everything lookinf like it's fine, the damned exporter puts the cocpit glass texture ahead of the cocpit texture.

It shouldn't, since it's last in the multi-texture material, but max is a ***** and I don't feel like putting up with it. I'm too tired/depressed/angry to deal with it tonight. I don't know when I'll finish it, if I do. If you want to take care of that one, do so.

I just ran it through, and I think what you're describing should happen as long as the cockpit is a seperate submodel.  As long as the cockpit texture isn't on the hull itself, then the glass will render properly.  [EDIT] The game renders things by submodel by texture on that submodel, and then the hull as the final object, again by texture.  Transparent parts should be the last textures on the hull, not necessarily the last textures in the model. [/EDIT] Here's proof:

And the model: Raa's HTL Ares v1.1.  The shield is still wrong, but that's not my concern.

As for the Herc II, the Ares, while using the same hull shape, has drastically different detailing and the cutouts made for that detail would be quite wrong on the Herc II.  So no rapid update for anyone there :(

And Raa, I don't mean to step on your toes with this.  If there's any problem with me working on these models, please let me know.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2005, 11:28:56 am by 570 »

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
I don't have a problem with that, Stratt. I'm glad that these two are finally done, and out of the way.
I'll go back to TVWP, and Origins now, I guess.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
*Watches thread*
-C

Offline Grug

• From the ashes...
Originally posted by Raa
'ooh, ahh that shouldn't be like that'

:p

Very purty.

Would the shield probem be related to the Max Exporter? Or SCP problem?

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
The Ares shield problem is because it's the original shield, and V did a crappy job :p

I never made a new mesh for it, since I don't like making shields.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
And I never touched the shield.  PCS doesn't export the one that's there with the model, and like Raa I had no intention of poking at it.  The shield is fine, but like the original Ares, pieces of hull poke out through it in places.

Offline Grug

• From the ashes...
Ahh. Shields are easy to make. Hell, I'd do one for it even.
But I just can't seem to get them to work properly.
Between the max exporter supposedly not being able to do it correctly and the SCP having some shield collision detection bug, I just can't seem to fix them.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Why not do what I do and edit the shield proportions in MODview until the sides of the ship no longer exceed its preimiter?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Shields are fun in Max. Just make a sphere and use that modifier that gives you push-n-pull thingies to deform it. :p
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Maybe you could take the original Ares model, slightly enlarge it, and use it as a shield mesh.
-C

Offline Grug

• From the ashes...
Yeah its easy to make the shield mesh. But I've been trying to get it to export, and then import via modview. It shows up allright in the pof viewer and all, but in game they seem to be all out of wack. In some places there is no shield at all it just hits the hull, and in others you hit it and the effect appears somewhere else on the shield.