Author Topic: 3.6.7 RELEASE  (Read 38350 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
It did say that on the release thread you know :)

Go to the recent builds forum and grab something from this month.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

OK... ive been trying to get the 1.5 pack from shivan in the other thread....

Whats the difference between his packs and this 3.6.7??  And which do i need to get SCP running?

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
A lot of the files have been updated. I've never downloaded the torrent, so I don't know quite how to help you... sorry.

Im just wondering what it is the Shivan's packs are... his 1.5..1.6, 1.8 beta... are these FS2_Open.... or the whole game or something?

Is build 3.6.7 all i need to get Open running?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Basically ShivanSPS takes the SCP releases and uses them to build a pack which makes installation much easier for people new to the SCP. Shivan's pack includes the original game (although there are other ways to get hold of it too). The idea of his release is that you simply unpack them and you're done.

ShivanSPS bases his packs on the latest builds so if you're trying to build your own what you'll have to do is.

1) Get hold of and install FS2
2) Install a recent build of FS2_Open along with the launcher and recent mediaVPs.
3) Install the mods ShivanSPS included (FS1 Conversion and Derelict if I remember correctly)

There's a guide on how to install SCP yourself in my FAQ. Till ShivanSPS started making his packs installing it manually was the way most people got it working so it's not that hard. It's up to you whether you want to wait for him to be done with 1.8 or to do it yourself. There's nothing in his pack that you can't get elsewhere. All he does is make it a lot easier to find the bits and install them.

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
OOOPS Karajorma was faster so I delete my post.

I just have to add:

BUT PLEASE READ FIRST KARAJORMA'S HELP ON HOW TO INSTALL AND MAKE FSOPEN WORK (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/karajorma/FAQ/intro.html). ANOTHER CHOICE IS WIKI (http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/?cat=69).

FSOpen builds, vps and mods can be a little tricky at the begining, but the final result is simply GREAT. For example NEVER use DirectX but OpenGL within launcher (although retail FS2 was a D3D game).
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 03:22:43 am by ARSPR »
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Actually you had a couple of links I'd missed :) Like one to the Launcher.

Ahhh that explains why his packs are so huge...  i didnt realize i was downloading the whole GAME... lol.

I seem to have gotten Open running fine now.  Im pretty sure i have the recent Media VPs.  Thanks for the help. (and i did use your FAQ... very helpful  :D )