Author Topic: Big bugfix build  (Read 12742 times)

Offline Kie99

What do the No_crash and more realistic lighting flags do?
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline AqueousShadow

• Devil
  • Imperial Highway
Originally posted by AqueousShadow
Techroom!! I suppose I have the same problem as Raa....

Click techroom, CTD.

Doh...

New pilot creation...:rolleyes:

Oh but uhh...I still can't play anything. Pressing commit locks up my game. It also seems that all my briefing and techroom anis are all slowed.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Originally posted by Singh
one question. is there a build without all the modifications to the low-res stuff, but with all the cutscene stuff? Will taylor's 01032005 have the cutscene stuff?

Not yet. A lot of these changes are specific to my build; I've been adding the occassional nonstandard res fix and updates to the lowlevel 2D stuffs to try and keep from completely outstripping CVS, but when I commit the cutscenes stuff it all has to go in.

I don't really understand what you mean by the low-res stuff. None of my nonstandard res fixes should effect the standard resolutions (although I don't test in 1024x768 much, so I could've missed a glitch I introduced) and all my nonstandard changes serve to move things where they should be - ie make the briefing icons stay on the screen and be clickable again, move the secondary recticule so if you aim with it you might actually hit something, etc.
-C

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
Originally posted by WMCoolmon

I don't really understand what you mean by the low-res stuff. None of my nonstandard res fixes should effect the standard resolutions (although I don't test in 1024x768 much, so I could've missed a glitch I introduced) and all my nonstandard changes serve to move things where they should be - ie make the briefing icons stay on the screen and be clickable again, move the secondary recticule so if you aim with it you might actually hit something, etc.

by saying low res stuff I was actually meaning your res fixes actually. At least, the ones that were screwing up the backgrouds.

Apologies, I should have been more specific. The other stuff does work fine though, at the least.
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Originally posted by kietotheworld
What do the No_crash and more realistic lighting flags do?

I agree... I tried the "No_Crash" option, but it told me that the No Crash has crashed, asked if I wanted to retry, then told me the retry failed and crashed.  Its a feature worthy of Monty Python from what I can see.  I also noticed a "fix mission" or something like that... what does it do?

However, this build gave me a CTD on commit (Derelic, BR Edition) without error message.  I attempted it with the debug build, but it dropped to destop with an error message about not being able to open Thruster01 on the Pegasus pof for some reason... and we all know, that if you're dropped to the destop and FSO is minimized... good luck trying to resume the game.  WMCoolmon, could you complie a new version of FRED with your next build?  I doesn't have to have too many fixes, just the stricter error checking system so I can fix errors without having to run FSO itself.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline WMCoolmon

The two new troubleshooting options do just what they seem to do. :D Realistic lighting works only in OGL, it changes the lighting somehow...I'm not sure how, exactly, but it can look pretty good: example

The CTD is probably because of a missed check for trails existing in the trails code. I think I caught & fixed this after the last build I posted.

FRED is, atm, pretty much broken. I've been poking around, trying to get the rendering system working, but haven't had any success so far. If you still want a build I can give you one - it seems to mostly work, minus the main window of ships, but I haven't extensively tested it.

You can always run fs2_open windowed, or in OGL mode, which hasn't seemed to cause problems for me the couple of times I've had the window minimized. :nervous: Thank you for trying it with a debug build, though. :nod:

After looking through the relevant code for starfield-drawing, though, I can't seem to find any functions that I changed. Do any of taylor's other builds show that? Can you figure out when it occured? There is a huge space of time between 1/03 and now that the bug could have occured, esp. since the Linux merge was completed between then and now. (Is it occuring in both D3D and OGL?)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2005, 03:36:22 am by 374 »
-C

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
the bug doesnt occur with the C01292005 build. I haven't tried any of the Feb builds yet though...
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board

• lock-perspective

-- Lock it? (False to unlock)
-- 0 for first-person, 1 for chase, 2 for external, 3 for top-down (optional)

Great!
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline WMCoolmon

Originally posted by Singh
the bug doesnt occur with the C01292005 build. I haven't tried any of the Feb builds yet though...

There's this random build (No idea where it came from, but whatever):
http://fs2source.warpcore.org/exes/latest/C02092005x.zip

There's taylor's build:
http://icculus.org/~taylor/fso/testing/20050212-win32.zip

Then there's the cutscenes build:
http://fs2source.warpcore.org/exes/latest/C20050218.zip

Oh, with further thought I'm going to leave that SEXP as lock-perspective, makes more sense since the force part is optional.

Edit: Also, my next build will feature the ability to edit ships.tbl flags without closing FS2, as part of the special feature. :D
« Last Edit: February 23, 2005, 07:05:49 pm by 374 »
-C

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards

New variables in mission file for jump node (see example)[/color]

Example:
Code: [Select]
$Jump Node: 1.0 3.0 4.0
+Jump Node Name: Dave's House o' Fighters ;;Technically a $ will work here too, it was the default, but a + fits in with the parsing scheme better, it is optional after all
;;New stuff
+Model File: FoD.pof ;;yes it works now
+Alphacolor: 255 0 255 255 ;;last variable is for alpha, ie transparency, 255 is full
+Hidden: YES ;;now you have to use show-jumpnode to make it show up
[/color]
[/B]

Well... what's this all about, then? :p
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Solatar

The trails for the player and his wing/squadron seem to be drawn as white squares.  If you aren't aware of a bug like this, I can be more specific and get some screens, etc.

Offline WMCoolmon

I think I've seen this once or twice while testing, but was debugging something already and didn't focus much on it. What are the circumstances? If this is under OGL, it may be that the textures are not being loaded somehow (may be missing, or in jpg/tga formats and no -jpgtga is specified).
-C

Offline Solatar

I'm using Direct3d, ATI Radeon 9000 Pro. What seems to happen is the players ship (no matter what class) draws engine glows as white boxes, but only on the highest LOD.  It appears that the other ships don't have this problem, unless they're the same class as the player ship.

EDIT: In response to below post.:p

Offline WMCoolmon

*In response to Solatar's last post*

This is regardless of ship class, ie it can't be a missing file? (So if you fly a myrmi, myrmis have trouble, if you fly a perseus, myrmis are fine but perseus have white-box trails.)
-C

Offline Solatar

Correct, and I've tested with both .pcx and other files, as well as Vasudan and Terran.

EDIT: it appears that I was wrong, the player's "squadron" suffers. I've got Alpha and Beta flying Horus interceptors and Gamma flying Osiris bombers and all three wings have the issue. In another mission Alpha and Beta fly Valkyries, and they both have the issue, but no Horus interceptors in that mission do.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2005, 08:25:08 pm by 691 »

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Can we expect in this build Shinemaps support for ATI cards with recent Catalyst Driver ??

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Don't expect that with any builds until Bob gets his code thouroughly tested.

It's in Bob's local codebase, and not CVS.

So. no.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Is there a particular reason that this build disallows time compression?
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline WMCoolmon

Human logic error. :p

It'll be fixed in the next update.

Oh, has anyone tried using the techroom in debug mode?
-C

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Yeah, everything worked fine there and I didn't notice anything different.

By the way, does this line in the debug spew indicate that the game has exited?

31638 frames executed in 52072.008 seconds,   0.608 frames per second.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM