Author Topic: 3.6.9 Release Candidate 2  (Read 21480 times)

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Re: 3.6.9 Release Candidate 2
So, something got fixed in RC2 that revealed broken media files. Lemme guess, the issue of on-screen corruption regarding those very same nebs on continious play or when repeating a mission, yes? Or something else entirely?
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
So, something got fixed in RC2 that revealed broken media files. Lemme guess, the issue of on-screen corruption regarding those very same nebs on continious play or when repeating a mission, yes? Or something else entirely?
Something else entirely.  The media files have been broken for a very long time (at least 2 years), it's been known, and I have been sitting on several graphical improvements for quite a while because of that.  New features (and me) are getting pretty intolerant of the broken images though and will have issues from now on since the images haven't been fixed yet.  This is one of the reasons that I use my own set of MediaVPs, so I don't have to deal with these issues personally.  All of the data will get fixed, and the only real change, is that now it's no longer an option.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
This one doesn't seem to have voice synthesis just like 3.6.9 didn't. I went to the tech database but no voice.
Yeah, I forgot to enable speech or voice for those builds.  Since I don't use those features I don't think about it when I build.

Offline PotzUK

• PyroPort
Hmm... when I fire up the new launcher now it crashes when I change the executable to the new build.  If I lop the launcher ini and flags file, it crashes on startup :( Nothing particularly useful in the crash log either afaics

I can get the game to run using the previous switches and the ones from the second post in this thread, but the models appear to be more or less transparent.  This is on Chapter 2 of the Revenge mod/campaign. 

I'll try and do some more investigation in the morning. 

WinXP, Radeon Mobility 9800 using the 6.5 catalyst drivers, dx9

PS. Voice syth would be nice  :nod:
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 04:35:19 pm by PotzUK »

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
does anyone have submodel animation working under this build?
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
First post updated with a newer mv_alphapatch.vp (forgot to fix yellow_glow.tga) and also a mv_advalphapatch.vp which has the fixed background nebula.

Offline Backslash

• Bring Our Might To Bear
No problems here.  Very good shape.  I quite like the launcher fixes.

Small question: "Enable mipmaps" only generates mipmaps for those files that don't have them, right?  If so perhaps the option should be renamed for clarity?

Is yellow_glow.tga even supposed to be in effects?  All the others (and a duplicate of it) are in maps.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
w00t! The mv_advalphapatch make's them look even better than they did. In fact, I died just looking at them cuz I wasn't paying attention. ;)

Which let me discover that one problem is still hanging around, I'll try and see if I can determine if it's just there, or if one of my launcher settings is causing it.

This corruption occurs on either subsequent missions after the first, or on quick starting first mission (or even returning to flight deck and then relaunching the mission)
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Small question: "Enable mipmaps" only generates mipmaps for those files that don't have them, right?  If so perhaps the option should be renamed for clarity?
Is that what it says?  I've never really paid any attention to it.  It should really say "Generate mipmaps" or something similar to that.  And in OpenGL it will only generate mipmaps when using -img2dds or when making render-to-texture graphics.  It's pretty much just a waste in 80% of the other cases, and we can't properly filter out interface graphics at load time to avoid making mipmaps for those (since it's 100% useless in that case).

Is yellow_glow.tga even supposed to be in effects?  All the others (and a duplicate of it) are in maps.
Nope, it is supposed to be in maps.  I just extracted the first one I saw and didn't realize where it was (another reason I prefer my own mediavps, no duplicates :)).  I'll get that fixed in the morning.

Which let me discover that one problem is still hanging around, I'll try and see if I can determine if it's just there, or if one of my launcher settings is causing it.

This corruption occurs on either subsequent missions after the first, or on quick starting first mission (or even returning to flight deck and then relaunching the mission)
It's -env that's causing it, though exactly which part of all of that is still a mystery.  The current thought is that it's a FBO bug in our code, or it's triggering a FBO bug on ATI's side.  The problem doesn't appear to happen with any NVIDIA card (that's been reported), and only with a handful of ATI models.  Yet another one of those things which is impossible for me to reproduce and therefore extremely difficult to fix.  I'm reworking some of the FBO code tomorrow so maybe after that the problem will either be fixed, or more easily identified.

Great work!  What's the ETA on the fixed set of vps? :)

PS, the debris/reticle crash is still present.  It's consistently replicatable on the FEP mission 'Battlefield' by hitting 'target in reticle' a few times.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Nope, it is supposed to be in maps.  I just extracted the first one I saw and didn't realize where it was (another reason I prefer my own mediavps, no duplicates :)).  I'll get that fixed in the morning.

I've noticed alot of duplication in the VP's when I went to merge your fixed releases into a copy of the 3.6.8z's. Having just rebuilt them, I can relate that it's a pain to track what's really supposed to be where.

For instance, in mv_effects:
maps\bomber*.* and fighter13-01a-glow.dds should be in mv_textures

maps\blue_glow1_small.tga, green_glow2_small.tga, hornet_bitmap.pcs, red_glow*.tga, teal_glow.tga, yellow_glow.tga and yellow_glow_small.tga should be in mv_models.

models\bomber*.pof, bonus2t-01.pof, fighter*.pof, install01.pof & transport2t-01.pof should be in mv_models.

In mv_textures:
models\cruiser03x.pof should be in mv_models.

In mv_models:
missions\*.fs2 should be in mv_core.

That's not counting having mv_alphapatch and mv_advalphapatch overwrites. Of course, all of those locations could just be arbitrary and they could really go anywhere, but to reduce the amount of duplication, the above works beautifully.

It's -env that's causing it, though exactly which part of all of that is still a mystery.  The current thought is that it's a FBO bug in our code, or it's triggering a FBO bug on ATI's side.  The problem doesn't appear to happen with any NVIDIA card (that's been reported), and only with a handful of ATI models.  Yet another one of those things which is impossible for me to reproduce and therefore extremely difficult to fix.  I'm reworking some of the FBO code tomorrow so maybe after that the problem will either be fixed, or more easily identified.

I feverently hope it's fixable through SCP. Though I've noticed many problems with regards to ATI's drivers. I'm going to run tests starting with Catalyst drivers 4.9 to current to see if it happens in all of them. I don't tend to use drivers past 4.12 (though I'm currently running the 6.4's) for my card simply because of 2 things: Removal of Trueform in post 5.4(?) drivers, and performance issues with certain things in ALL of the 5.x and 6.x drivers. (Things like, WA5's Milkdrop visualizer in Desktop mode halving or quartering FPS when I hover over _anything_ that generates a tooltip or ballon, Oblivion turning into a stop motion slideshow with AA when I encounter an Oblivion Gate, etc)

¤[D+¬>

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Okay, now this is a serious Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot.

The display corruption I linked above? Yeah, it doesn't happen on FSPort missions, no matter how many times I restart one or how many I play consecutively. Still calling to the same (d)neb files, but no corruption. And yes, -env is enabled (and yes, disabling -env prevents corruption in FS2 missions, but you already knew that.)

**EDIT: After having just rebuilt my media vp's (as documented above) I now no longer have any display corruption issues with FS2 missions on consecutive play or restarting (either in mission restart or post-death)

I think I'm going to go drink something stiff and hope my head doesn't explode.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 05:47:53 am by Zacam »

¤[D+¬>

Offline PotzUK

• PyroPort
Hmm... when I fire up the new launcher now it crashes when I change the executable to the new build.  If I lop the launcher ini and flags file, it crashes on startup :( Nothing particularly useful in the crash log either afaics

I can get the game to run using the previous switches and the ones from the second post in this thread, but the models appear to be more or less transparent.  This is on Chapter 2 of the Revenge mod/campaign. 

I'll try and do some more investigation in the morning. 

WinXP, Radeon Mobility 9800 using the 6.5 catalyst drivers, dx9

PS. Voice syth would be nice  :nod:

Can anyone suggest any troubleshooting measures I can try here?

What little info I've gleaned from windows:

AppName: launcher.exe    AppVer: 5.4.0.0    ModName: launcher.exe
ModVer: 5.4.0.0    Offset: 0000dfae

If I use the new launcher with RC1, it seems to work (!)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 10:55:32 am by PotzUK »

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Ummmm, yes
:welcome:
format and re-install windows  :D
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline PotzUK

• PyroPort
I'm not sure I could justify that  :lol:

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Try running the debug builds (the ones ending in _d.exe rather than _r.exe).

If that doesn't give you an error you can post here, try running FS2 with no mods and no media VPs (If you followed my FAQ or have ShivanSPS's 1.5 pack or above that will be a simple as clicking the no mod button in the launcher).

Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline PotzUK

• PyroPort
Hey Kara,

I'm afraid it's not Freespace itself that's crashing, but the launcher.  From the looks of it on my system the new launcher doesn't like RC2 of the executable...

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
In that case you should have posted this on the launcher 5.4 thread really :) I've got no idea why it should be crashing using 5.4 though. You don't actually need the launcher really though. Set up one of the other builds that does work and then simply run 3.6.9 directly for now. It's a bit of an annoyance but it should work :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline neoterran

voice synthesis doesn't work for me at all in this build, even when I activate it. But it works in taylors 6/13 build.
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Read the thread, dude...

This one doesn't seem to have voice synthesis just like 3.6.9 didn't. I went to the tech database but no voice.
Yeah, I forgot to enable speech or voice for those builds.  Since I don't use those features I don't think about it when I build.