Author Topic: 3.6.9 Release Candidate 3  (Read 33537 times)

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Re: 3.6.9 Release Candidate 3
What are the best (optimize) options for compiling a fs2_open_r build for a Athlon64?
I don't offer anything other than the default ("-march=athlon64 -funroll-loops -Os").  You're on your own with anything else since it's trial and error.  Optimization is a balancing act, optimize too much and you make it use more memory and greatly decrease stability, optimize too little and it will run slower.  The defaults are what is recommended for the majority of systems, some systems will have memory and stability issues with some options, other systems will work fine.  So if you wan't more than what I've already given then you'll have to figure out what works and what doesn't for yourself.

And remember to get the alpha patches for the MediaVPs, if you don't have them already:
 - to fix mv_effects.vp:  mv_alphapatch.rar
 - to fix mv_adveffects.vp:  mv_advalphapatch.rar

i can't extract MediaVP Patches... :sigh:
i tried some extracter but don't extract them. (other .rar can extract)
please re-archiving them.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 10:41:26 pm by Arkblade »

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
It is faster and easier if you download WinRAR.

Uploading all Media VP's again as zip archives would be time-consuming and would really serve no purpose. Additionally, I think *.rar compression algorithm is a bit more effective than stnadard *.zip, resulting in smaller files to download.

WinRAR is a small file for you to download, and even if you don't buy it, it'll keep functioning normally and it opens more archives than WinZip.

It's a good program. DL it, install it and use it, and you will get your rar files opened.  :nod:
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I have been playing some LAN games with my brother using this build and I'm running into a few strange problems.  If I host off one of my computers, FS2 locks up on the host machine (game freezes, with no mouse movement possible; the client computer is fine) in some situations. I haven't found any common factor in the crashes, but one place where it was consistently occurring was if I hosted Rebel Intercept (m-04b.fs2) and commited while the other player was still in the ship or weapon selection screen. I have had it occur both ingame and during briefings though. It's not a complete system crash, as I can alt-tab and close down the FS2 process. What's really puzzling is that hosting off the other machine doesn't seem to exhibit any of these problems.

I can try hosting using a debug build if that will help. Do both players need to use debug builds in this case?

The other issue is that the music and many of the sounds stop playing after going through a few missions. The sounds work fine for the first one or two missions, but in any subsequent missions the game stops playing music and starts dropping a lot of sounds (can be gunfire, engines, voices, etc.), both in briefings and during the game. It's not that specific sounds are blocked out; when firing a Maxim for example, I hear the sound once in every three or four shots. Also, if I die and respawn, the music briefly starts up again and inexplicably fades away after a few seconds. This happens on both computers, although not necessarily simultaneously. I am using the "generic software" setting on both of them.

None of these issues are present in singleplayer on either computer, by the way.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 11:22:21 pm by CP5670 »

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
I can try hosting using a debug build if that will help. Do both players need to use debug builds in this case?
Only the host would need to, unless you are wanting to test the client as well.  And be sure to create a debug_filter.cfg file if you don't have one already, we'll need the full debug log that provides since many networking/sound/graphics related errors aren't reported otherwise.

Offline Backslash

• Bring Our Might To Bear
Agreed, a good program, but it is shareware.  Let it be known that there are also completely free alternatives out there:
7-Zip
IZArc
...of course, if these are the ones you tried, Arkblade, please excuse me, and then let me know...

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Agreed, a good program, but it is shareware.  Let it be known that there are also completely free alternatives out there:
7-Zip
IZArc
...of course, if these are the ones you tried, Arkblade, please excuse me, and then let me know...
I use 7-zip, and it works perfectly for me.

ok, i use 7-zip, and it works fine.
thx! :)

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Will test to see if this is a one off, but I got a hard crash in FSport latest version. Mission was first mission with Herc, with the suicidal aten. Crash was in recieving orders. I'll try and replicate it.

EDIT: mission name is tenderizer, while the mission also went ahead, so I crashed, but game registered that I finshed the mission.

A fast post from my worksite ...

Yesterday, I played that mission without problem. BUT I'm nearly sure that in this mission there are kamikaze fighters that are not acting as suicidal guys at all. And I think that in Derelict, in the mission you arrive to a pirate outpost that has been previously destroyed by unknown forces, (sorry I don't remember the mission name), there are also kamikaze fighters against your Levy/Fenris capital ship, (sorry again), and they are not acting properly too.

I will check this possible kamikaze bug ASAP, but if someone can do it too it would be nice (In Spain we say that four eyes see better than two eyes ...)  :yes:

EDITED:

Forget about this, Kamikaze pilots ARE kamikazes.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 08:22:22 am by ARSPR »
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

The windows version works fine for me. But the Mac one I am having alittle trouble.  When ever I start a mission after the breefing i click on start mission and the entire program crashes. I know this could be a multiple of reasons but i am unfamiliar with the debug version on the mac.
There should be a crash log in ~/Libarary/Logs/CrashReporter/ for FS2_Open.  Send that to me and I'll take a look.

Unfortionatly the program froze in such a way as to just freeze and not leave any crash log.  "Rather annoying"  In any case Ive had the program running for a long time and it have been replaceing vp files and patches. It could be that there is an old file inthere that im not aware of messing evreything up. I dont know. Ill try reinstalling later when i have time to eliminate the variables.

Sync crashes 6th mission in with error ai-chase-any-except

Offline Mehrpack

• Flying Monkey
hi,
the ai-chase-any SEXP are removed of the SEXP months ago.
the campaine need a bugfixing.

Mehrpack
Nobody is Perfect.
attention: this english is dangerours and terrible, runaway so fast you can!

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
hi,
the ai-chase-any SEXP are removed of the SEXP months ago.
the campaine need a bugfixing.

Mehrpack

In Mantis, Goober has posted that this bug has been fixed, (I mantised that bug), so RC4 would be fine. OTOH, you can play if you press OK, (the game seems to freeze but AFAIK it is just loading the mission).
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

There's a problem!

Ok, I only discovered this because I downloaded the prey demo. (if you're wondering what that's like, check it out on filefront or fileplanet.. it's pretty fun but not sure if i'd buy it)

Basically, prey had an option for EAX but that I should update my driver. I thought 'what the heck' and upgraded it. My card is a creative audigy 2, and while I can't remember what my install drivers were (they were just the ones provided when i set up my pc) the ones that my pc updated with from the manufacturer's website are vers. 02.08.0004

[EDIT]I would just like to add that these drivers add openAL support to the card as well as EAX updates. I read a post in the previous forum skirting this topic.

Now. I can start vanilla FS2 no problem at all. However, if I try to use open, with the videos on it will crash before starting the intro. With the videos off, it'll crash when the pilot select screen is reached. It's not a fatal complete computer freeze, but it's a crash with an 'there has been an error message'. If I run FS2_open without any sound or music, the game runs fine.

If you need a dump of this just tell me and i'll get it to you. I haven't tried 3.6.7 yet, because I wanted to reinstall the game. Now that I've done that I'll try out the older version of open.

[EDIT] 3.6.7 (with corresponding mediavps or else you get about a dozen error messages about music .oggs) works completely fine. I'll stick with this, despite the no movie support until there's a fix for 3.6.9 RC

« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 05:34:15 am by Honest989 »

Offline ShivanSpS

Well, Icant use the RC3, because my game minimize and crash at the moment of playing the intro :(

I have a ATi 9600XT.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
If at all possible use the MVE movies instead of the AVI ones.  If you do use the AVI ones, and have DivX 6 or newer, then you need to uninstall the DivX toolbar to prevent it from minimizing and messing everything up.  I don't have the link handy right now to uninstall the toolbar, but I'll try and dig that up.  I'm sure it's in Mantis, in a bug about movies playing small, so you should be able to do a search in Mantis for "divx uninstall" and I think you'll get the right bug which has the uninstaller link.

Offline ShivanSpS

No, everything is just fine which any other build except RC3... I never try RC 1 or 2.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Please... Don't use DivX codecs at all, or XVid or any other individual codec package.

Get ffdshow instead. That way you don't need to install XVid, DivX and whatnot ten different codec packs. It works well enough for me. You also get a bit more video overlay options than post processing... At lease give it a try.

Usually I use VLC player anyway, but ffdshow takes care of things when VLC is not feasible - like it is case with Freespace cutscenes.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Only the host would need to, unless you are wanting to test the client as well.  And be sure to create a debug_filter.cfg file if you don't have one already, we'll need the full debug log that provides since many networking/sound/graphics related errors aren't reported otherwise.

How do I make that file? I don't think it creates it automatically.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
No, everything is just fine which any other build except RC3... I never try RC 1 or 2.
A lot of the older builds (for 4-5 months I'd say) actually disabled the ability to minimize.  RC3 turned that back on because it was causing problems in some situations.