Author Topic: Release: 3.6.12 Final  (Read 225720 times)

Re: Release: 3.6.12 Final
Cool. Hopefully after this version is installed I'll finally be able to get past that level without that stupid error. While I'm here, do I need to do a fresh copy of FreeSpace 2? Or does it know to overwrite?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Cool. Hopefully after this version is installed I'll finally be able to get past that level without that stupid error. While I'm here, do I need to do a fresh copy of FreeSpace 2? Or does it know to overwrite?

What! No, you don't need to reinstall FS2. Just put this .exe in your FreeSpace 2 directory, then select it in the launcher.

What! No, you don't need to reinstall FS2. Just put this .exe in your FreeSpace 2 directory, then select it in the launcher.

Cheers. Unfortunatly I couldn't get it to work. I kept getting an error (sorry for not being able to tell you what it was. I uninstalled the game :P). So I just downloaded the latest manual install instead. Hopefully that will work.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

Cheers. Unfortunatly I couldn't get it to work. I kept getting an error (sorry for not being able to tell you what it was. I uninstalled the game :P). So I just downloaded the latest manual install instead. Hopefully that will work.

Question - have you looked though the forum for similar problems, most likely found in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support?

if you cant find anything to help already on the forum then go to your FreeSpace launcher, look at where the launcher tells you which file it is set to use.  if the file reads  fs2_open_3_6_12r****.exe then change it to fs2_open_3_6_12d****.exe (replace the * with the remainder of the file name)(the difference is the r and the d the first runs the game normally the second runs the game in "debug" mode which alerts you to all errors (some of which are ignored in the r version) and generates a log of them) with the d version set run the game until you hit the error you normally get.  when that happens exit the game if you haven't been forced out by a crash and start a thread in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support detailing the problem and attach the log which can be found \Freespace 2\data\fs2_open.log (this file is as important as the description because it provides technical details behind the error) and one of the guys who know a hell of a lot more than me will take a look
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

That you so much for this release. I can finally continue my game =) I think it even looks better too =D

Ok I found this page, I downloaded the three files and the new launcher, is there anything I need to update like old mods or anything?
All vista problems can be corrected, by upgrading to XP

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
If you mean you grabbed the fs2_open_3_6_12_INF.zip, fs2_open_3_6_12_INF_SSE.zip, and fs2_open_3_6_12_INF_SSE2.zip, you only needed one.  I've added text to the first post to clarify that.

Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius has released another patch for 3.6.12 and the 3.6.12 MediaVPs.  So of course, also grab the new 3.6.12 MediaVPs.  Many mods should work with 3.6.12 and the 3.6.12 MediaVPs without patching though, so give them a shot.  If you run into issues that seem to be 3.6.12 related please mention them in Troubleshooting and they can be sorted out from there.  That's after going through the Troubleshooting FAQ to make sure it's nothing common of course.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

If you mean you grabbed the fs2_open_3_6_12_INF.zip, fs2_open_3_6_12_INF_SSE.zip, and fs2_open_3_6_12_INF_SSE2.zip, you only needed one.  I've added text to the first post to clarify that.

Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius has released another patch for 3.6.12 and the 3.6.12 MediaVPs.  So of course, also grab the new 3.6.12 MediaVPs.  Many mods should work with 3.6.12 and the 3.6.12 MediaVPs without patching though, so give them a shot.  If you run into issues that seem to be 3.6.12 related please mention them in Troubleshooting and they can be sorted out from there.  That's after going through the Troubleshooting FAQ to make sure it's nothing common of course.

Yep, that's the three I grabbed, so far so good on the mods working though Derelict looks better than it did before and I never saw the short movie about Blue Planet before, but I'll grab the update for Blue Planet mediaVPs, thanks for the info though this is my favorite game of any out there, and keeping it totally updated is pretty important to me, I'm not good enough for online multiplayer or anything, but I totally enjoy playing FS, besides I pretend anything in red is my boss at the end of the week :)

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Ok, for ****'n'giggles I tried 3.6.12 on my old gaming PC, which is a CeleronIII 500Mhz with Windows98 SE installed.
I put the fs2open exe and the launcher in a fresh retail FS2 install, but the launcher complains about some missing MSVC6 DLL (which I could probably get from somewhere), but the fs2open exe itself craps out with a message "This program requires a newer version of Windows".

Has WinXP (or newer) become mandatory for FSO, or am I missing some other files. I trawled through the wiki but couldn't find any system requirements regarding Windows.

Otherwise: Fantastic job guys :yes:
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
AS chief said, these are the first builds made using Visual Studio 2008. I guess the runtime it is linked against requires XP by default.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I didn't think that was the case, but the project files may have been configured that way.  Regardless, no one's mentioned this in almost a year of VS2008 nightly builds
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline Timerlane

• Overseer of Slag Determination
Goober gave out an early 3.6.12 RC2 temp build alongside DEM 1.5 that was still 98SE compatible, but I just kinda assumed/accepted that the W98 userbase was too small to make much note of, so I never said anything. :nervous:

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
We may be able to make the VS2008 builds play nicely with W98.  In fact, Goober could even look into it with VS2008 Express and then we could incorporate any needed changes into the FRED project files too.  Anyone with a 98 box could in fact, although you might need a newer box to run VS2008 Express.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Not everyone uses the nightly builds; it's plausible that they would only stick to official releases.  And if you roll your own builds (as I do) you wouldn't even notice.

A few minutes of searching revealed that the Visual C++ 2005 redistributable pack is available for Windows 98, even if Visual Studio 2005 is not.  Maybe it will work for VC++2008 as well; I won't be home for a few days so I can't immediately check...
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=32BC1BEE-A3F9-4C13-9C99-220B62A191EE&displaylang=en

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
I'll donwload that and try if it gets something running.

Anyway, I'm not requesting that FSO keeps Win98 compatibility, it would just be intersting to see how well FSO performs on such an old machine with vanilla FS2.
The lack of complaints about lacking Win98 compatibility demonstrates that the Win98 user base is marginal at best ;)
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
The redist pack shouldn't be needed, as I thought everything for FSO was statically linked?  Unlike the launcher that dynamically links some things to keep down its size.

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
The redist pack shouldn't be needed, as I thought everything for FSO was statically linked?  Unlike the launcher that dynamically links some things to keep down its size.
Yes, no CRTs should be needed for any FSO binary even the win32 launcher (wxLauncher is a different story though (which is why this discussion interests me as wxLauncher is built with VS2008 as well, but to my knowledge there is no reason that wxLauncher will not run on Win98)).

What the problem seems to be, it that the VS2010 and apparently the VS2008 CRT refuses to work on Win98, so it seems that we may have to make VS2008 or VS2010 use the VS2005 CRT.  If that is not possible we will need to use VS2005 to build the binaries as it seems that VS2005's CRT (7.1?) is the last that is available for Win98 (which is not really a surprise as according to Wikipedia Microsoft ended support of Windows 98 in 2006).

Anyway, I'm not requesting that FSO keeps Win98 compatibility, it would just be intersting to see how well FSO performs on such an old machine with vanilla FS2.
The lack of complaints about lacking Win98 compatibility demonstrates that the Win98 user base is marginal at best ;)
You may not be, but Goober5000 has requested that we maintain Win98 compatibility.  Thus if our current build process (using VS2008) is excluding Win98 we need to know about it so that we can fix it.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Hey chief can I install FS and FS2 retail then just download 3.6.12? or do I have to start all over again and get 3.6.10 and update from there ?
I tried installing BP2 and wound up deleting everything again, FS is totally gone off my system :( And I gotta start over again.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
There are guides for installation in FS Open Support, but basically,

You don't need to install FS1, ever.  You can play the full FreeSpace Port without it, and you can't use FS2 Open with FS1 Retail.
You can and should install FS2 retail, and then put the 3.6.12 binaries (you only need to pick one set of binaries to download, plus the launcher) in the FS2 install folder.  You don't need 3.6.10 at all anymore.
Get the 3.6.12 MediaVPs, the latest BP:AoA, and BP:WiH, and install them in their respective folders.

You should already have OpenAL installed but get the TrackIR dll if you need it too.

If Win98 support means having to do stupid stuff with compilers/etc, you really shouldn't be.
It's just plain stupid if it means huge development effort that could be much better spent on other things.
I thought we'd gotten past this issue - if Goober5000 wants Win98 support, he's supposed to be providing it, not everyone else.
STRONGTEA. Why can't the x86 be sane?