Author Topic: Release: War is Hell demo  (Read 3226 times)

Release: War is Hell demo
Remember the thread with a short vid that I posted some time ago?

Here's a demo version of this little mod of mine.

It includes 2 trainings and 1 SP mission.

Now, a few things that need to be said.

This mod is not for everyone. When I came up with the idea of making it, it was just because I was bored of this "artificial atmospheric" flight model and few other arcadish things. Then the whole idea evolved, into something like this.
Now, this mod is only playable on Insane level of difficulty. I didn't checked anything else so it probably won't play as it should on other levels.
The second important thing, is that this mod is almost not playable without some High-end stick. I use X-52 and use all available buttons/switches/hats. Playing without it can be a pain in the ass.
The mission included in a demo can be a bit unpredictable. This is because that was to be the first mission of a non-linear campaign and I wanted to make it random. As a result, each time you fly it it may start with different conditions.

In case the previous post have been missing the mod features:
  • Semi-Newtonian flight model with much faster fighters.
  • Changed missile properties (now fighters have much few missiles, but they are more capable).
  • Increased difficulty.
  • Other cosmetic changes

And here's a few tips if you find it a bit too difficult.
1st. I strongly suggest finishing the tutorials. They're not very good in terms of mission design, but help in understanding new flight model and fighting system.
2nd. Before you even start fighting make sure that you have side-thrusters controls and shield controls close. These two are very important in a battle.
3rd. Use your missiles carefully. If you'll use them in a default FS2 style you'll soon end up without your ordnance and with empty kills count.
4th. Command your wingmans. This is crucial in the mission, in which you're a squadron leader.
5th. In the mission, after killing fighters, focus on destroying large beam cannons that are pointed at the node. This will surely help with keeping your capships alive.

And last but not least, here's the download link:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/a7tgr7

Enjoy, and share your opinions.

PS. Mod is compatible with the latest RC.
PS2. "War is Hell" is not the final title, but I couldn't figure out anything else. Post your ideas, if you have any.
no.one

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
  • Permanent yuri goggles.
    • Twitter
Re: Release: War is Hell demo
Well, I played through, and well, getting blown off by a Fenris feels weird. First time through it tore me to shreds. =(
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Okay, you need to redo the mod.ini on this one. Using the one supplied with the mod will lead to A LOT of errors fixed by simply loading it with the mediavps.

Models: Your Ulysses, Herc, Perseus, Sekhmet and Bakha models have inverted bounding boxes. While the game will correct this automatically, it can not be guaranteed to work correctly.
The Ares is missing its cockpit glass.

Tables: There's an "asteasdroid.tbl" in your tables folder that the game will never, ever read.
You are using both a -wep and a main weapons.tbl; This may not work as expected.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline est1895

Could you have another Mirror besides this one please?  :hammer:

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Pretty interesting mod!

Weaponloadout issue: Vasudan fighters can't equip subachs, so the whole wing is without weapons
The message about protecting the escape pods got repeated like 4 times in a row for me.

Also, the joystick comment is silly, a mouse and keyboard work just fine  :p
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Solatar

It's already been said, but Beta wing has no primaries.

Other than that, I actually enjoyed the flight model.  It was a lot of fun.

Ok, I fixed the highlighted issues. Now it has a new mid.ini and much few files. Also fixed the issue with missing guns (the problem was with the campaign file).

Models: Your Ulysses, Herc, Perseus, Sekhmet and Bakha models have inverted bounding boxes. While the game will correct this automatically, it can not be guaranteed to work correctly.
:confused: These models are straight from mediavps with just changed weapon banks. And I checked them in PCS, they have the exact bounding boxes as original ones.
The Ares is missing its cockpit glass.
That's strange everything's alright in PCS.

Here's the new link:
http://www.filefront.com/15987071/War%20is%20Hell%20Demo%201.01.rar
no.one

Offline est1895

error: ai.tbl/line24.
error: Required token=[#End]or[8Name:]
Found [$Shockwave Evade Changes Per Sec ]
File:PARSELO.CPP
Line: 670

I'm using the 3.6.10 final build I'm using the updated v1.01

Questions are greatly welcomed

Ralph :warp:

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Please use 3.6.12 RC1. Should that not solve the issue, please provide a fs2_open.log.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns