Announcements > Announcements

Let's talk, HLP!

<< < (90/91) > >>

Wet Orange Ostrich Toilet:
Alright. I did a bit of research, not sure if it will be useful or not.
Here's what I found out about the interest in space games

-People are indeed regaining interest for space games

-People are NOT interested in arcade based shooters.

-The most popular tags within space games are 'MMO' 'Open-World' 'Strategy' and 'Sandbox'

So I concluded that, under the assumption that such a thing is possible, a viable strategy would be to scramble every skilled coder and modder and have them create some sort of 'Open World RPG' version of either original Freespace or one of the full conversions. Have someone gather attention to it on Steam Greenlight and the hype should be coming by itself.

Please keep in mind, I have no idea about the extent to which the source code can be modified, nor do I know if something like that is possible. It's just a small idea really.

FrikgFeek:
The engine could be capable of doing Open-world right now and it still wouldn't make sense to chase that goal. An open world only makes sense if its populated enough to be interesting, and nothing short of a medium-large game studio has the resources to produce that much content.

No matter what you do to the engine Freespace won't become a better open-world space sim than Elite: Dangerous. There's just no reason to compete for that market. Both the engine and the people making content for Freespace are much better suited for finely crafted mission-based SP campaigns than open worlds and FSO might still be the best mission-based space shooter.

You can make non-linear campaigns with JAD's campaign map and BtA's system viewer, essentially letting the player jump anywhere in the system to take on missions but that's not really 'open world', that's just some very elaborate masking of a 'choose mission' menu. You wouldn't really call MW4: Mercenaries an open-world game just because you can go to multiple systems and take on missions, it's still a mission-based game that just lets you play missions in any order you like.

deathspeed:

--- Quote from: Wet Orange Ostrich Toilet on May 05, 2017, 04:33:53 am ---
-People are NOT interested in arcade based shooters.

-The most popular tags within space games are 'MMO' 'Open-World' 'Strategy' and 'Sandbox'

--- End quote ---

I'm in trouble; i avoid 3 of those 4 tags!  I don't do well when games are too open - i need more structure.  Even when there is a mission path, I get too bogged down in side quests and never get to "the good parts."  Mass Effect, Fallout 3, GTA: San Andreas are a few that I looked forward to and started multiple times but never go far into them.  For sim aspects, I like a little complexity, but I don't want running my ship to get in the way of having fun blowing things up.

I keep looking at Elite: Dangerous whenever it's on sale, but then I remind myself that I won't actually play it much, and I go back to FreeSpace or a mod or some other mission-based, arcade-oriented action game (or C&C3: Kane's Wrath skirmishes).

Phantom Hoover:
get house of the dying sun! play it! it's fantastic and structured!

xenocartographer:

--- Quote ---You can make non-linear campaigns with JAD's campaign map and BtA's system viewer, essentially letting the player jump anywhere in the system to take on missions but that's not really 'open world', that's just some very elaborate masking of a 'choose mission' menu. You wouldn't really call MW4: Mercenaries an open-world game just because you can go to multiple systems and take on missions, it's still a mission-based game that just lets you play missions in any order you like.
--- End quote ---

I don't quite agree. I mean, granted, the ability to play missions in different orders doesn't mean open-world (off the top of my head, Advance Wars does that and no one whose brain wasn't a demented weasel would call that open-world), but if the player's actions at one area can affect what happens at other areas, then you're on to something - especially if you can revisit the same area repeatedly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version