Author Topic: HLP Social media promotion in 2019  (Read 8794 times)

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
HLP Social media promotion in 2019

Hi everyone! I hope you all had a great holiday and new year.

As I’m sure everyone knows, 2019 is the twentieth anniversary of FreeSpace 2. This is the ideal opportunity to publicise FreeSpace and HLP to a wider audience.

This was discussed last year, and the community came up with some excellent suggestions: The link to the thread is https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=95034.msg1872523#msg1872523

Before I really get stuck in with the promotional stuff, I want to check with the community at large to find out what your thoughts are, if you have any ideas or suggestions, if there is anything you feel I should concentrate on, or if there is anything I should avoid.

I updated the ‘getting started’ threads towards the end of last year, so newcomers should be able to get playing with the minimum of fuss. If there are any further updates required please let me know.

There are now three things left on my ‘to-do’ list before I get cracking. I will need help from the HLP community to achieve this, as I am unable to do these myself.

1   Get a higher res image for the FaceBook page banner art. I have seen a higher res image of the symbol, but not of the text, which is a little blurry.

2   Get an updated version of the 2014 trailer showing off all the latest 3.8.X eye candy

3   Get HD banner art for the HLP YouTube channel. NB For the YouTube banner the minimum dimensions for the image are 2048 wide by 1152 high. At least this is what it stated in the error message that appeared when I tried to upload a 1920 x 1080 image. I'm not sure what the maximum dimensions are as it didn't say.

TL;DR – 1080P screen caps will not work :-(

Any assistance with the above will be greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to hearing from everybody soon.

Kind regards,

Iain ‘Nomad’ Baker.
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: HLP Social media promotion in 2019
Eh.. did I not do some of that banner art for you? I could have sworn I finished that.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Eh.. did I not do some of that banner art for you? I could have sworn I finished that.

I don't recall seeing it. Perhaps you didn't send it to me after you completed it. I remember someone sent me the HLP logo (without the text) last year. Was it that?

If you have completed it please send it over and I'll upload it. Cheers :-)
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
I've always seen the screencap contest as a great resource for promoting the engine's capabilities as well as community talent.  :) While the current contest subject was a little "just for fun"  :D, I hope to encourage future submissions that really push the system to the maximum. Putting the best face forward, so to speak. Maybe a rotating carousel of the best of the best of the best high-def high-res EPIC serious DRAMATIC screenshots for the landing HLP page? The FB and Twitter pages? With some kind of blurb: 'Yes. THIS IS IN-ENGINE with FREE ASSETS. NO post-rendering.' :cool:

My time committed to HLP has dropped drastically, but I'd be happy to help from that end as I can.  :nod:

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I can't remember if the Facebook banner is something I threw together in haste or if it was the result of a Google image search.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

I've always seen the screencap contest as a great resource for promoting the engine's capabilities as well as community talent.  :) While the current contest subject was a little "just for fun"  :D, I hope to encourage future submissions that really push the system to the maximum. Putting the best face forward, so to speak. Maybe a rotating carousel of the best of the best of the best high-def high-res EPIC serious DRAMATIC screenshots for the landing HLP page? The FB and Twitter pages? With some kind of blurb: 'Yes. THIS IS IN-ENGINE with FREE ASSETS. NO post-rendering.' :cool:

Actually such things can take several hours to arrange, and also could be used as "memorable moments" for whatever campaign you work on.Doing that exclusively for a contest where several people contribute and you might don't even end up winning isn't everyones favourite time sink. I'm only speaking of my own experience, as the pics of the Shivan Dyson Sphere took me hours to make and were originally intended to be a campaign highlight, I ended up giving those to the contest and didn't even made it under honorable mentions while some generic pics from already existing campaigns won.

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews

Actually such things can take several hours to arrange, and also could be used as "memorable moments" for whatever campaign you work on.Doing that exclusively for a contest where several people contribute and you might don't even end up winning isn't everyones favourite time sink. I'm only speaking of my own experience, as the pics of the Shivan Dyson Sphere took me hours to make and were originally intended to be a campaign highlight, I ended up giving those to the contest and didn't even made it under honorable mentions while some generic pics from already existing campaigns won.

Shivan Dyson Sphere? I haven't see that but would very much like to. Do you have a link pls? :-)

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
Because those images are currently just attachments and will be deleted at some point, I uploaded them to Imgur.
https://imgur.com/a/EBAzQaj
https://imgur.com/a/Ea9URes
https://imgur.com/a/6kPcnCF
Also it's unfair to characterize the winning screenshot that month or any month as "some generic pics from already existing campaigns".  Just because it's from something already released doesn't mean it's not a beautiful screenshot and the poster didn't put a lot of effort into it.
[6:23 PM] PIe: why do I have the feeling that I shouldn't be able to give orders to 22nd armored hq
[6:24 PM] Axem: 22nd armored hq, i order you to get me a cup of coffee
[6:24 PM] PIe: and donuts
[6:24 PM] PIe: BECAUSE THIS IS THE GTVA POLICE
[6:25 PM] Axem: :O
[6:25 PM] Axem: am i under arrest
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: no, just please step out of the myrmidon
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: you have so much to fred for

[9:50 PM] Sottises: wait did you do vassago's verge?
[9:50 PM] Sottises: .. dirge?
[9:50 PM] Axem: yes
[9:50 PM] Sottises: ohh
[9:50 PM] Sottises: well I have that and JAD too
[9:50 PM] Axem: :)
[9:50 PM] Sottises: what a contrast of themes lmao
[9:50 PM] Axem: isnt it
[9:51 PM] Axem: super grimdark thriller about unknowable alien intelligence and over the top colorful action about friendship
[9:51 PM] PIe: jad is grimdark???
[9:51 PM] Axem: :skull:

Yeah OK... but it was still nagging me.

Offline HLD_Prophecy

PIe is right.  :nod:

A) Regardless of the work involved, many skilled users STILL chose to take that time to make incredible entries. As evidenced by that contest thread!

B) The winners don't have to be the ones displayed to advertise the engine!  :D

C) Sorry that you lost that round. Hey, look - your entry was the only one that I remembered until know, if that says something!  :D

C) Sorry that you lost that round. Hey, look - your entry was the only one that I remembered until know, if that says something!  :D

Ahh thanks for these wonderful cookies~ :D

Offline HLD_Prophecy

Ahh thanks for these wonderful cookies~ :D

Really, it was the only one that I immediately remembered when I checked out the thread again.  :nod: *cookies rain from the heavenly above*

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
What's your favourite campaign?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
Since I have only ever played the main campaign, that one. :D

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Since I have only ever played the main campaign, that one. :D

Got some catching up to do then. Don’t worry, it won’t take long, there are ‘only’ 150 others to try out  :D