Author Topic: Pasting Freespace Folder to New System Questions...  (Read 1903 times)

Offline est1895

Pasting Freespace Folder to New System Questions...
Hi.  What will I need to have to run FSO on a new system that is Win7 pro 64bit? ( I am Copying the Freespace folder to a new machine for testing purposes.  Old machine is an XP 32bit).

1. I need OpenAL - is there anything else?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Re: Pasting Freespace Folder to New System Questions...
If you're using wxLauncher, you'll also need to install that.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I've done it many times with different systems and I don't remember any real issues in the process. It doesn't mean it's a safe option, though.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 04:26:52 pm by Mobius »
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline est1895

I'll be using the Launcher 5.5g.  What about the difference in memory?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
A difference in the amount of RAM between the two computers won't affect FSO (assuming of course that the new computer doesn't have *less* RAM than the old one), and even then as long as you've got 1GB+, I can't see it being an issue)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline est1895

What about JAVA?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
... FSO doesn't use JAVA.  (The installer does, but not FSO itself)

The install guide should also help answer questions about what may need to be done...
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=78710.0
----
----

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
IIRC, you have to run the Launcher once an administrator to create the registry entries, and then you're good (besides OpenAL, but you could just put the .dll file in the FS2 directory for that).  As long as it's the same path (e.g. C:\Games\FreeSpace2) on both machines.  Otherwise, you might have to adjust that in launcher6.ini  That's all I can think of.