Author Topic: Reaction to Blue Planet  (Read 12189 times)

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Re: Reaction to Blue Planet
Actually that is another problem with BP, IMO... I don't like how Alpha 1 now has a predefined personality, and even speaks, OMG! Not true to the Alpha 1 Code of Badass Silence.

Actually I loved it, it made it more like

Brothers in Arms: Freespace
and not

Freespace: Mod no.502

The Alpha One code of badass silence was something that I suppose fitted the retail campaigns, but now with a personality, you can empathize with the character and feel what he feels in a way, like in Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway (yes, I'm a fanboy of THAT TOO!)

It's also more realistic IMO, I mean, how many pilots put a wad of duct-tape across their mouths before they put their helmets on?

DON'T SAY ALPHA 1!

Offline Darius

True, but Sam Bei isn't Alpha 1 and therefore not as badass :P

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.

Yes, Sam Bei has "FEEEEEEELINGS"

Making him Human, rather than badass   :P

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Never really understood why Alpha 1, supposed squad leader, never even utters a word in retail. =/

I know it was done to let you feel like you were Alpha 1. Something that Halo also does, but at least Master Chief has a damn voice. :blah:

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Actually that is another problem with BP, IMO... I don't like how Alpha 1 now has a predefined personality, and even speaks, OMG! Not true to the Alpha 1 Code of Badass Silence.
At first I did agree, but later on it adds a lot to the story.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Never really understood why Alpha 1, supposed squad leader, never even utters a word in retail. =/

I know it was done to let you feel like you were Alpha 1. Something that Halo also does, but at least Master Chief has a damn voice. :blah:
Well there was a debate on the pilot claiming his kill on the Bastion cinematic to be Alpha 1 some time ago.

You know what? I disagree. :P Samuel Bei is more badass. ;)

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
He feels more human, I'll take that over Alpha 1 the bot anytime...

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Daz said on the HLP IRC channel that there was going to be a new player character in WiH... I'm eager to find out what he's liek.

QTF... I may also have figured out why I hate him so much... His name! It's sounds so sissy  :ick:
Furthermore the whole Admiral Bei and Commander Bei is simply too similar to Battlestar Galactica's Adama familiy. It almost feels like a traditional rip-off of sorts, with a little variation of cause...

In short: I can't identify myself with Samuel Bei at all... He's an annoyance of epic proportions.
I guess I just like Volitions way of doing it much more. Begin your journey as a simple rookie nobody knows or cares about, and end up as the ultimate badass of the entire fleet.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 10:29:49 am by SPECTRE87 »
Must Crush Shivanism!

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Even the ultimate badass of the fleet (Being an elite squadron leader) has to give orders, why Command has to give out every single little order to a wing is beyond me, even orders are relayed down the Chain of Command.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I'm not sure Alpha 1 in the retail FS2 campaign was actually any kind of ultimate badass. Without stat buffs from difficulty level, you were utterly dependent on warship and wingman cover -- even a pair of Maras might be more than you could handle if you weren't quick.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
I'm not sure Alpha 1 in the retail FS2 campaign was actually any kind of ultimate badass. Without stat buffs from difficulty level, you were utterly dependent on warship and wingman cover -- even a pair of Maras might be more than you could handle if you weren't quick.

Yeah, in retail you had that development of you as a pilot.

Offline eliex

Hmm, I had always thought that the voiceless Alpha 1 was to signify that you as a pilot were insignificant in the general workings of the GTVA - however but it contradicted itself when Alpha rose to become the squadron leader of the most elite squadron in the Aquitaine . . .

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.

Hmm, I had always thought that the voiceless Alpha 1 was to signify that you as a pilot were insignificant in the general workings of the GTVA - however but it contradicted itself when Alpha rose to become the squadron leader of the most elite squadron in the Aquitaine . . .

Yeah, "Nameless cog in a machine" or something like that. I meant you as the player physically getting better as a pilot as the campaign progressed, thus the missions became gradually harder.

Offline tinfoil

• i'm 13 remember
I don't fully love either way of doing it. I've been trying to figure out a good way for Alpha 1 to express feeling for ages. No matter what you do it never really works perfectly.
Alcibades' Gamble - We Love Our Ice Cream

Everything you need to know, and more can be found at The Freespace Wiki

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I think the real joy in playing a campaign with a fleshed-out Alpha 1 persona, particularly a campaign like Blue Planet that pulls off the concept so well, is simply that it's different.  Nearly every user-created campaign out there follows the retail model of the faceless, voiceless player character who's meant to provide a blank slate for the player sitting in front of the monitor.  And obviously, that's a proven model, seeing as how it worked just fine in retail.  But if a campaign designer decides to go for a more story-driven approach with a defined main character and manages to do it right...that's something truly unique, and I think that's what Darius was able to accomplish.  I can understand someone criticizing such a campaign because it was legitimately bad, or because the person didn't feel like the main character was handled well enough, but criticizing a campaign just because it tries something different doesn't make any sense at all to me.  If all you're looking for is that same old experience, just go and play one of the dozens of other campaigns that replicates it.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I think the real joy in playing a campaign with a fleshed-out Alpha 1 persona, particularly a campaign like Blue Planet that pulls off the concept so well, is simply that it's different.  Nearly every user-created campaign out there follows the retail model of the faceless, voiceless player character who's meant to provide a blank slate for the player sitting in front of the monitor.  And obviously, that's a proven model, seeing as how it worked just fine in retail.  But if a campaign designer decides to go for a more story-driven approach with a defined main character and manages to do it right...that's something truly unique, and I think that's what Darius was able to accomplish.  I can understand someone criticizing such a campaign because it was legitimately bad, or because the person didn't feel like the main character was handled well enough, but criticizing a campaign just because it tries something different doesn't make any sense at all to me.  If all you're looking for is that same old experience, just go and play one of the dozens of other campaigns that replicates it.
QFT

Offline tinfoil

• i'm 13 remember
Yup, Mongoose has the idea. Exactly true.

I wonder how a campaign with only small lines for the character, like in that game; Drake's Fortune would work. 
Alcibades' Gamble - We Love Our Ice Cream

Everything you need to know, and more can be found at The Freespace Wiki

Ok, Finally fnished the campaign. Awesome. Just awesome. Thanks goes out to Darius, and all those who helped with my issues.

Now that I've seen the ending, im pumped up for part 2 and can't wait for it. Wish I could help with it, but i've got no Fred skills. Just looking at it confuses the hell outta me.

Darius, your a genius. Cant wait for part 2.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Just finished, adding my reaction. I'll keep it short.

AWESOME!!!

Seriously, after playing through ST:R, I was thinking "that's going to be a tough act to follow." Age of Aquarius did not disappoint. I still can't get over how beautiful the new ships are, as well as how well-done the epic battle sequences are. My only complaint about the missions is that I got a bit tired of taking out beam cannons... other than that, just plain amazing. I played on Medium, and I think I only had to restart a couple of times... none of the missions felt frustrating, but all were challenging (exactly appropriate for medium).

For the record, played with FSOpen and MediaVPs both at 3.6.10. The only "problem" I encountered was that in the epilogue mission, my ship had mysteriously changed and my (now-dead) wingmen spoke with the voice of Command. Kind of weird.

I'm looking forward to the next installment. :D