Author Topic: Lt. Polpolion Says...  (Read 15333 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Lt. Polpolion Says...
this attitude towards ‘higher powers’ is not dissimilar to that adopted by some factions of the Ubuntu Party Elders.
For me that doesn't sound at all like the Eldar are actually communicating with any higher beings, just that they share the same beliefes about them with the Vasudans.
I certainly wouldn't call the ability to communicate an "attitude".
Given the mystical elements of the Blue Planet storyline. I'd basically say it's a given.

*cough cough*
Aye, perhaps it is the Vishnans influencing the Ubuntu, but that, in my opinion, is even more reason to purge that government. Humanity should be free to choose and if needs be carve it's own path, not forced by some wishy-washy mystical xenos.

Have you checked out the techroom entries in BP? You may find something to your liking.

And if the Vishnans are psychic beings (And all the proof suggests this) then that's even less reason for them to be allowed to get away with influencing us. Where do you demark the line from 'guidance' to outright control?

The techroom may also shed some light on the 'psychic beings' issue.

Offline -Norbert-

Given the mystical elements of the Blue Planet storyline. I'd basically say it's a given.
And considering how AoA managed to surprise me several times during my first playthrough, I'd say nothing in WiH is a given, except the high quality.

I still think we don't have enough information available to jump to conclusions. On some parts we hardly have enough to make an educated guess, so saying something is like that for sure seems pretty premature for me.
Besides, if there is contact between the Elders and the Vishnans, I think you might mistake the cause and the effect here. You seem to think that the UEF is like it is, because of the Vishnans influence. I think it is more likely that the Vishnans are interested in the UEF, because it's the way it is, and became that way by itself.
Besides, if they were in such close communications with Humans before, how could they learn so much (including the full meaning of time to us) from Samuel Bei? Shouldn't they have picked up all those things form the Elders, if they were in their heads before?

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Wow, I go to work and my comment sparks a huge debate.
Well it's a good healthy debate. :yes:

Oh, I would point out that the success of Bosch's ETAK project is... questionable at best. Certainly he caused something, but god (Volition) only knows what it actually was.
ETAK might not be effective, but as the prose section tells us, those with the natural ability to sense Shivan activity (sensitives) would probably be able to communicate to a much greater degree. The Vishnans were clearly able to communicate to the Terrans through people like Samuel Bei. It's a distinct possibility that the Shivans have the same ability, but choose not to use it.

Aye, perhaps it is the Vishnans influencing the Ubuntu, but that, in my opinion, is even more reason to purge that government. Humanity should be free to choose and if needs be carve it's own path, not forced by some wishy-washy mystical xenos.
You're forgetting the fact that as far as we know, the only force capable of opposing the Shivans on equal terms are the Vishnans. Wouldn't it be wise to seek the protection of this race, instead of shooting everything that we don't understand?

And if the Vishnans are psychic beings (And all the proof suggests this) then that's even less reason for them to be allowed to get away with influencing us. Where do you demark the line from 'guidance' to outright control?
Yeah, it's true that while AoA paints the Vishnans as being a benevolent race, we can't forget the possibility that they too can be destructive... After all, they have in the past shown no will to help the Terrans and Vasudans, allowing both of their planets to be exterminated (in the alternate universe) and allowing the Shivans to take billions of lives. It's possible the Vishnans have some ulterior motive, or are bound by the rules of the shattered triumvirate between the Shivans, Vishnans and Brahmans, or something like that. I hope this all gets explained in BP3....

And considering how AoA managed to surprise me several times during my first playthrough, I'd say nothing in WiH is a given, except the high quality.
Yeah, the Elders could just be a bunch of mad old men on acid, but I really doubt that.

I still think we don't have enough information available to jump to conclusions. On some parts we hardly have enough to make an educated guess, so saying something is like that for sure seems pretty premature for me.
The BP team are dropping hints. Some may well be red-herrings, but I really do think a lot of them are true.

Besides, if there is contact between the Elders and the Vishnans, I think you might mistake the cause and the effect here. You seem to think that the UEF is like it is, because of the Vishnans influence. I think it is more likely that the Vishnans are interested in the UEF, because it's the way it is, and became that way by itself.
Worth reading:

Quote from: Project Nagari
Neither Khonsu II nor Aken Bosch (who first replicated this natural communication ability in artificial form via Project ETAK) were aware that other sensitives had played, or would soon play, a critical role in Terran-Vasudan history. Two already mentioned here were Samuel Bei and his father. Another, lesser known, was the pilot who destroyed the Lucifer, who received not only a sense of the purpose of the Shivans, but in fact later reported full-length audiovisual hallucinations of an Ancient narrating the rise and fall of their empire at the hands of the Shivans. Although this pilot was trapped in Sol, and so never came into contact with Project Nagari, he was debriefed extensively. These reported visions were discovered to align perfectly with the myths and legends that the pilot’s Vasudan comrades (also trapped after the node collapse) remembered about the ancient race that had once visited Vasuda Prime.

It is not entirely possible to confirm the notion that this pilot’s visions served as one of the focal points of the Ubuntu Party’s rise to power.

Besides, if they were in such close communications with Humans before, how could they learn so much (including the full meaning of time to us) from Samuel Bei? Shouldn't they have picked up all those things form the Elders, if they were in their heads before?
Iunno.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 05:09:54 pm by Snail »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The BP team are dropping hints. Some may well be red-herrings, but I really do think a lot of them are true.

If you lurk on #bp, you will get more and better spoilers.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Snail

• SC 5
And the occasional slip-up from one of the members copy pasting things into the wrong channels. :nervous:

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Yeah, it's true that while AoA paints the Vishnans as being a benevolent race, we can't forget the possibility that they too can be destructive... After all, they have in the past shown no will to help the Terrans and Vasudans, allowing both of their planets to be exterminated (in the alternate universe) and allowing the Shivans to take billions of lives. It's possible the Vishnans have some ulterior motive, or are bound by the rules of the shattered triumvirate between the Shivans, Vishnans and Brahmans, or something like that. I hope this all gets explained in BP3....
I don't know if we have hard evidence that the Vishnans entirely knew what the Shivans had done in that alternate universe before the events of AoA unfolded.  It seemed to me as though they were focused on Samuel specifically, and it was only after he learned what had happened that the Vishnans took direct action to work against the Shivans and protect the GTVA fleet.  I'll agree that the Vishnans probably aren't as cut-and-dry as we've seen so far, but I'm not sure that they essentially stepped aside and let the Shivans destroy Earth 2.  I could be completely wrong, though.

(Also, I love the story conceit of having the Ancient monologues play an in-universe role.  Very meta. :p)

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
I always thought that the Ancient recordings were translated data-logs recovered from the Altair dig site. Guess I was wrong.
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I always thought that the Ancient recordings were translated data-logs recovered from the Altair dig site. Guess I was wrong.
Well Blue Planet's theory is but one interpretation.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 08:28:15 am by Snail »

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Well the in-universe explanation is only one interpretation canonically.
What? It's not an interpretation if those recordings are recovered data logs - its a fact.
If it isn't then its Ravenholme's interpretation, not the in-universe one.
:wtf:
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
Well the in-universe explanation is only one interpretation canonically.
What? It's not an interpretation if those recordings are recovered data logs - its a fact.
If it isn't then its Ravenholme's interpretation, not the in-universe one.
:wtf:

I think I need to replay FS1, to find out. I'm sure that it was just data logs recovered from the Altair dig (They only started after that) played against a backdrop of the stars and planets.
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I think I need to replay FS1, to find out. I'm sure that it was just data logs recovered from the Altair dig (They only started after that) played against a backdrop of the stars and planets.
No, they started well before the Altair discovery, before the player has even heard of "the Ancients." It's never stated explicitly that they represent data logs, or anything like that; they're just atmospheric interludes meant to establish the game's backstory.

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
No, they started well before the Altair discovery, before the player has even heard of "the Ancients." It's never stated explicitly that they represent data logs, or anything like that; they're just atmospheric interludes meant to establish the game's backstory.

Ah, well, then I guess it's free for the Blue Planet creators to play with. But I always assumed that Volition never intended a mystic path for the series, so that if they had to be explained it would be translated logs.

<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

Ah, well, then I guess it's free for the Blue Planet creators to play with. But I always assumed that Volition never intended a mystic path for the series, so that if they had to be explained it would be translated logs.

Who says there is any kind of mysticism involved in the Blue Planet explanation either?

Read the techroom.

Offline -Norbert-

Or search for General Battutas comments. He mentioned.... quite a few times by now that everything in BP is certifiable by science, even if it looks like mysticism at first glace.
To throw a little quote from one of the proses:
Some Humans beliefe that sufficiently sophisticated technology is indistuinguishable from magic and thus is magic. For Vasudans magic was always sufficiently sophisticated technology to begin with.
There might be some differences in wording, since I wrote it out of my memory, but you get the essence of those two sentences.

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
Or search for General Battutas comments. He mentioned.... quite a few times by now that everything in BP is certifiable by science, even if it looks like mysticism at first glace.
To throw a little quote from one of the proses:
Some Humans beliefe that sufficiently sophisticated technology is indistuinguishable from magic and thus is magic. For Vasudans magic was always sufficiently sophisticated technology to begin with.
There might be some differences in wording, since I wrote it out of my memory, but you get the essence of those two sentences.

Well, that still doesn't override my comments about mind control. Where do you demark the line between guidance and outright control? And can you actually conscience guidance in the first place, knowing how malleable humans will react.

<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Rly?

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
Rly?

He was confused by the wording, he thought you were stating that my interpretation was in fact, well, fact, but that you were also saying that it was an interpretation.

It's just one of those breakdowns in communication that happen all too often on the internets.

<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Eh, semantics. I've edited the post.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Rly?

I meant it this way: if it was canonicalthat the ancient cutscenes were data logs (ie. someone from :v: said that), then it wouldn't be an interpretation.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Snail

• SC 5
But um, I don't think :v: did say that.