Author Topic: Supreme Commander  (Read 4935 times)

I feel like this has already been mentioned before considering how obvious it is, But I haven't heard it mentioned at all, so I must know: Who on the BP team is the huge Supreme Commander fan that they should name one of BPs major factions directly after one of the factions from SupCom, and use a lot of the head animations in AoA?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I'm not actually sure whether the faction was named after the SupCom one.

The animations were probably used because they were convenient and easily formatted.

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
Damn, when I read the topic title I went: "Damn, is the command guy from FS2 going to appear again?"

As far as I know, the name 'United Earth Federation' and it's variants are pretty common names in sci-fi.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I like the UED better.

(StarCraft FTW)

UEF, UED, EDF, GDF, GDI, TC, F, A, are fairly common names for supposedly lawful neutral factions in sci fi settings.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
EA

Offline Deadly in a Shadow

• Buntu!
LSF
"Ka-BOOOOOOOOM!!!!"
"Uh, Sir we can hear the explosion."
"No you can't, there is no air in space. Sound can't travel through a vacuum!"

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
NBI ;)

:warp:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Darius

All the good Earth faction names are already taken  :(

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

Earth Committee on Earthiness

Offline Ypoknons

• Ancient
    • http://www.xwaupgrade.com
At least the UEF structurally looks like a federation (Wikipedia: a type of sovereign state characterized by a union of partially self-governing states or regions united by a central (federal) government.)
Long time ago, you see, there was this thing called the VBB and... oh, nevermind.

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)

Earth Committee on Earthiness

Sounds like a Gardener's convention. So the Vishnans/Shivans would be more likely to attend.
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

The EKAC

Earthlings Kick Ass Club. 

Or, slightly more seriously,
HSF- Human Space Force.  Or stick an H behind any number of other things.  I wonder why people never make sci-fi settings with an Earth faction that actually has humanity in its title. 

More seriously...

Terrain Space Armada?  "Armada" is common to see as a description for a large force or sometimes as an alien space force name.  But it seems remarkably little-used for human space force names, despite not sounding odd or cheesy. 

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Well the UEF isn't a military organization precisely, so Armada might be a bit too militant for the name of what's nominally a civilian government with a navy.

Offline -Norbert-

You could just make up some actual name. While many countries on Earth have republic or somesuch in their name, they each still have a name of their own. With the possible exception of the USA, since Amerika is also the name of the continent I suppose.

Offline Ypoknons

• Ancient
    • http://www.xwaupgrade.com
The thing is, if you a government 'human' this and that, then the state would probably be claiming sovereignty over all humanity. Which could lead to situations like ... that of War in Heaven.

I like Federation for the UEF, since in government structure it is de jure three (or more) loosely affiliated quasi-sovereign states and we see that played out quite clearly in WiH. It also reflects some degree of their noble intentions that central government is limited, even though in practice, the Elders are in ultimate control. A visionary central government + freedom in day to day control of local affairs is quite a good combination if you can make it work.
Long time ago, you see, there was this thing called the VBB and... oh, nevermind.

I've never heard United Earth Federation use in any context other than SupCom and BP. Just using the name of the faction alone could be dismissed as coincidence, but also used the head animations is too much, someone definitely knows about it.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I've never heard United Earth Federation use in any context other than SupCom and BP. Just using the name of the faction alone could be dismissed as coincidence, but also used the head animations is too much, someone definitely knows about it.

Your questions are answered in the first response to your first post. FYI there was only one person involved in Blue Planet at that stage of the game so it's not like 'someone' is a very large option space.

The fact that you've never heard of it used in other contexts doesn't mean much; it has been. Like Earth Alliance, it's one that's popped up more than once. It even fits better here than in SupCom.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
UEC, United Earth Commonwealth is my story's Earth faction. :D