Author Topic: TEI "Waves"  (Read 13872 times)

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
A good chunk of the TEI is about emulating the best of Shivan tactics against them. Which means that, for the most part (and it isn't completely unintentional), the Tevs kind of feel and behave similarly to Shivans in the Sol theatre.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline -Sara-

If the GTVA wins from the UEF, I imagine the GTVA would use 85% of the UEF facilities to produce more GTVA ships and fighters, while using a mere 15% of facilities and labs to research the possible application of UEF designs and weaponry for use in warfare against the Shivans. My money would be on beam weapons though, not mass drivers. Beam weapons have only now begun to look somewhat refined, they can probably be developed much further to be REALLY efficient.

Also, UEF material would be difficult to maintain. You would probably need to modify all your GTVA facilities to be remotely able of maintaining UEF vessels. And since refitting UEF ships to GTVA standards would be costly and carry a constant risk of having incompatibility issues, not to mention a chance to perform sub-par, wouldn't they just likely scrap 70% of the UEF fleet in favour of keeping the larger vessels as a defense fleet for Sol? Sol has facilities which are already compatible with UEF vessels.

Or, I can imagine that decommissioning the UEF's capital ships will go a long way in propaganda, spreading stories that GTVA capital ships are far more advanced. That way the Sol citizens would somewhat feel the GTVA presence gives them better chances against Shivans, once GTVA propaganda kicks in.
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Having a small number of the gauss cannons on some ships would be useful on fast hulls to soften up large warships prior to jumping in with the main strike.

1 or more corvettes or frigates with sprint drives and a couple of gauss could jump in out of beam range of the target and combined with fighters equipped with TAG B type missile could snipe critical subsystems/weapons prior to the main strike going in.  With the sprint drives they have the capability to jump out at a moment's notice if a significant counter attack is made making them less vulnerable.

I am thinking that there would only be a small number of these ships built and assigned at the fleet rather than battle group level and attached to a BG as needed
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline -Norbert-

I can't say how effective and maintanance/ammunition intensive it would be, but putting gauss cannons in the Titans and Raynors heavy pulse turrets certainly looks great ;)

Offline Qent

That doesn't seem physically possible!

Or you mean the point defense autocannons?

Offline -Norbert-

I mean the big, double barrel turrets.

Bull****, for example their long range torpedos, nothing wirks better then blasting at a Jug with them and jumping away the moment you get yourselve jumped at, sure, SSMs work just fine.
Or the Uriel with its railgun, there are aspects of UEF technologie wich would be stupid of not using.

Go ahead and ask the Wargods how that one worked out. They CAN'T just jump away as soon as they get attacked by shock-jumpers. Heck, a Narayana attacking, say, a Ravana? Sure, it works...until a Lilith jumps in right off its side and opens fire immediately. You'd HAVE to jump out immediately (assuming you don't have any properly equipped Alpha 1's), and the only weapon you'd have against them is your torpedoes, which would now have to be redirected away from the Ravana...which can now close in to hit the Narayana with its beams. Even if the Narayan escaped, it'd sustain major damage without having inflicted much on the Ravana.

The torpedoes are not that powerful; they take a while to kill a capship. They're also interceptable and slow--so if the Ravana has fighter cover, it's all the more difficult.

The Uriel, however, is excellent. I'd test out the concept of equipping a gunship-class attack craft with two of the railguns, while forgoing some of the primary slots and/or missiles. It'd be more dependent on fighter cover, true, but it would be the bane of capships everywhere. Except the Sathanas...
Delenda Est delenda est.

(Yay gratuitous Latin.)

Offline qwadtep

The torpedoes are not that powerful; they take a while to kill a capship. They're also interceptable and slow--so if the Ravana has fighter cover, it's all the more difficult.
They don't kill ships quickly but they absolutely wreck subsystems. With a Narayana's ability to project them anywhere within a 14km radius and a sublight speed faster than anything bigger than a fighter and the only way you're going to have any beams left when you get in range is to jump in within beam range in the first place. Those fighter wings are better off being sent to attack while the Ravana jumps away.

There's a reason the Tevs haven't won the war.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.

You are correct there is a reason, this is not it.  Tevs haven't won the war yet (and barring secret project shenanigans or the next best thing to an act of God, they will) because the vast majority of the conflict up to now has been low intensity.  Full fleet actions, with the exception of the First Battle of Neptune, have just plain not happened in the previous 18 months.

The Narayana is powerful, there's no doubt to that.  It is not, however, the reason the Tevs haven't managed to steamroll everything.  They haven't steamrolled everything because they want everything intact.  Up until the Blitz (where the Narayana was relatively ineffective at preventing damage), at least.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Nah, some big **** has gone down - the Requiem ambush for instance.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

Because committing the forces to win the war in a day would result in a massive cluster****, which they would win, but which would be immensely costly to the GTVA and possibly invalidate their objectives for the war.

It has nothing to do with the UEF being able militarily to defeat the GTVA, and everything to do with the way the GTVA has prosecuted the war; few risks, don't damage the infrastructure.

If the GTVA was solely interested in eliminating the UEF as a military force they could easily have done it by now, though probably at some cost. Even if that was their only concern and they didn't want to risk much, they still probably could have done it by now. It's only when you stack all their objectives together that it's taken them this long.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Because committing the forces to win the war in a day would result in a massive cluster****, which they would win
Ahem. You haven't tried Massive Battle, have you ?

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Right, because throwing all tactical and strategic advantages or planning is really a measure of how the rest of the war would go.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Because committing the forces to win the war in a day would result in a massive cluster****, which they would win

I am sure the GTVA has a few extra battle groups they could deploy if they went to overwhelming force strategy.  Would it be costly? Yes both in terms of the human cost and their ability to counter a Shivan invasion in the next few years.  Also the GTVA would also risk largely failing in their strategic objective in minimizing collateral damage to Sol's industrial capacity
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I thought "Massive Battle" seriously disadvantaged the GTVA because beams do damage per frame, and framerates are terrible in that mission  :)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Kolgena

... I totally didn't know that. No wonder UEF win by a huge margin every time for me.

Hmm, I remember thinking that DE might be feeling harder because the new optimised Karunas didn't cause a massive FPS drop everytime they're on screen anymore, after reading this about bp's massive battle. :)

Offline crizza

Bull****, for example their long range torpedos, nothing wirks better then blasting at a Jug with them and jumping away the moment you get yourselve jumped at, sure, SSMs work just fine.
Or the Uriel with its railgun, there are aspects of UEF technologie wich would be stupid of not using.

Go ahead and ask the Wargods how that one worked out. They CAN'T just jump away as soon as they get attacked by shock-jumpers. Heck, a Narayana attacking, say, a Ravana? Sure, it works...until a Lilith jumps in right off its side and opens fire immediately.
I pointed out in some post, that a jump drive would work just fine and the Karuna Mk2 has other weapons apart from torpedos.
And we haven even started to think about jamming shivan beams, since we don't know how their targeting process works...

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
and the Karuna Mk2 has other weapons apart from torpedos.
Karuna Mk2, IIRC, is just a concept design and not a single prototype has even been build - at least officially, hard to know what the Fedayeen might be planning.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

The fact the GTVA has not deployed their entire fleet indicates they do not want to, not that they cannot. It could be over in a day, but at tremendous cost.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story