How did you go on your first 'Dive Dive Dive Hit your burners pilot!"

I survived, my reflexes are amazing
39 (47%)
I veered off, but in the wrong direction and died
24 (28.9%)
I freaked out and died.
20 (24.1%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Author Topic: Your very first dive....  (Read 11520 times)

Your very first dive....
Me, i was like  :eek:, then just smashed into it head first.

Re: Your very first dive....
i made it the first time, but failed the mission. i forgot about it on the retry and got mashed.

I knew it was coming and I survived. HLP lurking spoiled practically every surprise in the campaign. Thanks a lot guys.  :no:

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
my FIRST time?
Dang, I don't recall...

I know I veered off every time, but did I actualyl survive the first time? Not sure, but I think I didn't....or I did? :confused:
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Shade

I survived, though "diving" isn't exactly how I'd describe my reaction. More like "panic then pick a random direction and run like hell", and I'm pretty sure down wasn't that direction :p
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
I didn't have afterburners because I was running the HOTU version on XP, no SCP.

I died.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline shiven_warior

• A true shivan
i was like "huh?........oh thats what he ment by dive......" and u can guess the rest
i know i misspeld my name >_<

The moment I heard "DIVE! DIVE! DIVE!" I think I jumped about two feet into the air... but I also took his advice and DOVE as hard as the afterburner would go. I survived. Go me. :cool:
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

I didn't have afterburners because I was running the HOTU version on XP, no SCP.

I died.

you can make it withought burners, just you have to have reflexes like a cat.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I crashed into it. I was thinking about the Terran Mara and wasn't paying much attention to the game when I clicked commit.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I almost pissed myself. :nervous:

I survived though, but I almost broke my joystick off slamming it downwards.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I kept trying to pull up, since that looked more likely to work, and forgot the Sathanas flares out on top.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net

I died.

you can make it withought burners, just you have to have reflexes like a cat.

I made it on the second or third try.  Just not that first time.  :p
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
My gut instincts took over before I processed the order, and I pulled up instead of diving.  I'm not sure, I might have survived the impact with like 2% hull... if I did, I restarted the mission.  Basically, I reacted to what I was seeing before thinking about what I was hearing... about the time of impact, I'm going "Oh, crap!!  Wrong way!"

I died.

Although prolly of no use to you now, the fix for that problem is to run FS2 in compatibility mode for Windows '95.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I died. I don't remember my first "Dive! Dive! Dive!" pretty well, but I died.

I reacted in a strange way. Like in the second loop mission, when most fighters went down at the beginning of the mission.

"What the?!?"

"Hhmm"

"I'm the player. I can't die. Not yet!"

That's probably why I got killed in "Into the Lions Den"...
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Oh, uh, Vasudan commander, you forgot to add "I freaked out but survived." :P
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
I have reflexes like a cat...well moreso when I first played the mission when it was...what....17?  Anyways I got the heck out of the way but did that ever get my reflexes going.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

I got though the dive without much problems since I still remember getting out of the Sathana's path when I was disabling its foward beams and flak turrets but then I lost a huge chunk of health from the first exploding device along with Alpha 3 and 4. Then I got shot down by overwhelming numbers of Shivan fighters. I was frustrated and used quick start mission then got completely destroyed by the warping Sathanas.

First time out, I still had some classic flight-sim pilot left in me, so my gut reaction was, "Ground impact, BAD!" and I pulled up.  I realized my mistake and had time to gripe about how much the impact was going to hurt, but not enough time to correct.  On successive plays through the campaign, even foreknowledge of the inevitable didn't help all that much....  I didn't start actually diving on my 'first' run of the mission until about my fifth or sixth time through the campaign.

i was like, 8 years old when i started playing this game... so when i first got my DIVE DIVE DIVE it took me a full second or so to actually dive...i survived, frantically enough...
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.