Author Topic: W-H-I-Y-L - boom shake-shake shake the-room.  (Read 3035168 times)

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
Re: W-H-I-Y-L - Asante Sana Squash Banana.
One week using Windows 7 and I'm already sick to death of UAC.  Why in the hell isn't there a built-in whitelist to make it stop *****ing about certain executables?

Someone (Symantec? McAfee?) actually made a useful utility like this for Vista, but it didn't work for 7.  Instead of the normal UAC prompt, you got one with an additional option to stop prompts for that program.  If I could find something like that for 7 I would enable UAC again, as my kids tend to click on things they shouldn't.
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline BirdofPrey

• Help! I see GIMP in my sleep
I've pretty much gotten uses to the uac by now, but it is assanine what sort of regular tasks trigger it.
The Great War ended 30 years ago.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

In testing: Radar Icons

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
Slowly learning to adult.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
My mother was staying with us for a few days. She chose not to lock her car.

This guy made a mess of tissues and papers.. and, luckily, my mother left nothing of value in her car. He then tries my car and my wife's car (both locked) and walks off.

The cops scolded my mother for not locking her car and didn't file a report. Crazy.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Something started resonating inside my case, and it's just loud enough to be easily noticeable, but possibly not loud enough that I feel like opening it up and touching everything to figure out what it is.  Dilemmas.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
You'll kick yourself tomorrow for not acting quicker if it leads to breaking today.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Nah, it wasn't anything breaking-like, just my PSU.  It stopped when I touched it, so I might have to re-tighten those screws.

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Nah, it wasn't anything breaking-like, just my PSU.  It stopped when I touched it, so I might have to re-tighten those screws.

Might want to clean up the PSU while you're in there, that fan shouldn't be making any major vibration. I'm thinking some dirt or gunk might've built up on the fan, nocking off its balance enough. Or, less optimistically, it could be your fan's bearings going out.
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline Sololop

Just bought tickets for "Sensation" in Quebec City. Anyone ever been to a Sensation concert before?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something

Might want to clean up the PSU while you're in there, that fan shouldn't be making any major vibration. I'm thinking some dirt or gunk might've built up on the fan, nocking off its balance enough. Or, less optimistically, it could be your fan's bearings going out.
As it turned out and I kind of figured, the noise wasn't from the PSU itself, but from the pull-out dust filter on the bottom of the case directly below it.  The thing's made of fairly-thin plastic, and I guess the vibrations from the PSU's normal operation were enough to hit its resonant frequency.  Fiddling with it for a bit shut it up.

On my way to Alaska on a hiking trip, posting on a Boeing 737

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam
On my way to Alaska on a hiking trip, posting on a Boeing 737

Say hello to Nuke if you see him. Although you probably won't...
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Behold the Bacon Wrapped, Salsa Cheddar-Dog!

Farm fresh fruit salad and Dampfbier optional, though highly recommended.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I want to eat that

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
Stepped on what I'm pretty sure was a jellyfish dome out in the water.  The people around me can't have known that.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Not allowed to strangle clients.

No matter how much they deserve it.

Why the hell isn't Bahrain handling this.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
Seriously, everyone reading this, go watch the Learn to Fly video in the music thread.  I'm on view... like, 43 now.  And I'm not even that big a fan of the Foo Fighters or that song in particular.  I just can't get over how awesome that event was and how much I want to do it.

Offline Vrets

My computer freezes exactly every other boot ever since I upgraded videocards. The predictability of the issue has led me to do an extra reboot in the morning and then put the computer into sleep mode all day.

I can live with this problem. The status quo is fine. Everything is just fine...I'm OK with how things currently are...

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam
My computer freezes exactly every other boot ever since I upgraded videocards. The predictability of the issue has led me to do an extra reboot in the morning and then put the computer into sleep mode all day.

I can live with this problem. The status quo is fine. Everything is just fine...I'm OK with how things currently are...

Hm, power supply issues, maybe?
chief1983

------------

Offline Vrets

Hm, power supply issues, maybe?

It's definitely some kind of hardware issue. The computer freezes so hard that the reset button doesn't even work...I have to pull the power.

I'm only home (and awake) for 3-4 hours per day so whatever the problem is, I just have to live with it until it burns down my house or fails completely.