Author Topic: What are you working on?  (Read 309152 times)

Offline Oddgrim

• I like building stuff.
    • Art Thumblr
Re: What are you working on?
Wicked!

You gonna make one in a flight suit?

That is planned yes, got a very early setup here.

[GhostOfMjn: I can provide hi res vasudan ass]
[Hades]: we have so much in common we should bang.
My models page:
http://p3d.in/u/Oddgrim

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Is this Blender sculpting tool? I wasn't aware it's that powerful tool. Spectacular work :yes:
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Oddgrim

• I like building stuff.
    • Art Thumblr
Is this Blender sculpting tool? I wasn't aware it's that powerful tool. Spectacular work :yes:

Thanks, yes that's the sulpting tool for blender or more specifically the multires modifer, however it's nowhere near powerful as Zbrush when it comes to polygon editing and handling. For instance if using multires you cannot do any editing to the base mesh or the multires layer risks at becomes distorted.
My models page:

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile

Thanks, yes that's the sulpting tool for blender or more specifically the multires modifer, however it's nowhere near powerful as Zbrush when it comes to polygon editing and handling. For instance if using multires you cannot do any editing to the base mesh or the multires layer risks at becomes distorted.
Thanks for letting me know. I'm about to start my adventure with sculpting and I wonder if Blender sculpting tool is any useful. I want to start with Sculptris so far to learn basics, than switch to ZBrush.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Oddgrim

• I like building stuff.
    • Art Thumblr
BAM!  :D
My models page:

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Nice ... somehow gives me the urge to pose the guy like some renaissance sculptures :)
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Happy New Year!

And to add to the collection...

Rendered with Iray so it's rather noisy.  I can't seem to take screenshots in fs2 anymore, it just captures my desktop instead.  Good news my models aren't actually that texture intensive anymore, however, it's rather poly intensive. Since I don't have shaders to work with I had to use decals... lots and lots of decals. In fact the whole thing is cover in decals.  The good thing is anything from a small fighter to a massive bomber should only need the same amount of textures. My attempt at faking texture atlas-ing.

And I'm kinda switching themes too.  Outside of Star Citizen (cough cough Duke Nukem Forever) WC seems to be kinda dead or at least asleep, so I'm merging the technology with Star trek since I've been playing STO for some time now.  Some of the ships shouldn't be a problem, others I just can't see it working well.

The models don't seem nearly as grimy ingame as they do in Painter for some reason.
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
You need to set longer rendering time. Grainy look is a result of short time you set for Iray to capture light from environment and ship itself. The longer rendering time you set, the more smooth your render will be. You may also need to adjust your rendering presets as pbr-metal-rough will always be a little grainy.

IRay is briliant renderer, but it requires lots of RAM and Nvidia graphics card.

Think I had it set to 40 or 50, didn't notice any real improvement after that and since I've got an AMD card, it's all done via cpu.  What I'm more concerned about was lack of ingame screenshot ability.

Funny thing, I was looking for my original version of the ship... I did manage to get back into photobucket, well it dates back to  3-15-05.   :eek2:

Edit: LOL didn't dawn on me to actually take screenshots of Painter... duh

« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 05:06:31 pm by Scooby_Doo »

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
So basicly there is nothing you can do about it. Your computer lacks power to gather environment lightning faster. Even with some crazy rendering time, it is likely to crash at some point of rendering.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
What I'm more concerned about was lack of ingame screenshot ability.
...? You mean in FSO? Printscreen button shouldn't have stopped working (although like most things they now get stored in appdata).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

What I'm more concerned about was lack of ingame screenshot ability.
...? You mean in FSO? Printscreen button shouldn't have stopped working (although like most things they now get stored in appdata).

Yes, the clipboard shows the entire desktop, it's as if FSO isn't running at all.  Is there suppose to be an entry in appdata for screenshot saves?  I know the Saga version stored screenshot tga files in the Documents folder.

Offline Oddgrim

• I like building stuff.
    • Art Thumblr
Yeah the printcreen in FSO is a bit janky at the moment not sure why its like this though. :/
Anyway, I've started to stuff vasudans into the shuttle using pre-rendered sprites. c:

My models page:

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I have no idea why, but now I'm wondering if zods can use terran toilets o___O

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
Some grudges cannot be forgotten. Some secrets were better left hidden.

Another mini-project, the successor to Lost arrives (hopefully) this year. It's been in highly delayed production for the past year. FREDing is, I'd say, 70% done. How much I can do depends on how I balance it with work on Scroll, which is a higher priority.

This one is even tinier than Lost, so be prepared for a really short story.  ;)

EDIT: A content update for Lost is also in the works, with some cool new stuff.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 01:45:58 pm by PVD_Hope »

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Is there suppose to be an entry in appdata for screenshot saves?
%APPDATA%\HardLightProductions\FreeSpaceOpen\screenshots\
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Is there suppose to be an entry in appdata for screenshot saves?
%APPDATA%\HardLightProductions\FreeSpaceOpen\screenshots\
HardLightProductions\FreeSpaceOpen exists, but it's empty.  I just did a complete reinstall of fs2, didn't solve the problem but at least the brightness issue I was having is gone, probably a remnant from Saga. 

PS. it is the print screen and not some other key?  Just in case  :nervous:

Edit: Ok can we just ignore this problem... my complete fault.  They were being stored in the freespace2\screenshots folder, however, it's in tga format that explorer doesn't have a preview for and the screen0032.tga was made back in 2013.  Since there was no 0033 I just assumed it was not being stored.  Turns out it had started over again at 0001.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 12:14:21 am by Scooby_Doo »

Tada!  Have a few more things to clean up/work on (need to work on animations and I'll have to skip the cockpit for now) and it'll be ready for launch, hopefully.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Recently started for Starwolf. With Joh [Iraklion] and Geb [Moires] already turned into Ancient warships, I think it's Duat o'clock :P. I want to make dedicated Ancient warship killer from it.

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
This looks awesome! It's got "shock-jump" written on it.