Author Topic: GTB Condor Mk I WIP  (Read 5642 times)

So while I worked on cleaning up the GVF Satet, I started this GTB I'm calling the Condor. Split Quad missile banks, Heavy assault cannons under the nose with a dorsal and ventral Anti-fighter turrets. Still need to work on the cockpit area as I don't like the setup.

https://p3d.in/KpUJI

All the best,
Jadehawk
Got Shivans? The SOC Ezechiel is the schnitzel! Don't leave base without it.

I like. I like. Those big things on either side of the cockpit are the missile banks yes? Tried making the furthest ones from the centre smaller or moved them back a bit?

Also this bomber has a pretty unique Silhouette to it.

Offline Thisisaverylongusername

• This is fine.
Interesting. Its like a mixture of the Medusa and Boanerges. I like it, though!
If the opposite of pro is con, then is the opposite of progress Congress?

Guys, thanks! Mommothtank, I did try to move them back as been suggested in another thread. However, I didn't like the look and (in my opinion) would cause some re-loading trouble for the missile banks. Besides, it looks cleaner as shown here. :)

Yes I took elements I liked from them all. :) Still a long way to go.

All the best,
Jadehawk

Interesting. Its like a mixture of the Medusa and Boanerges. I like it, though!

More like an Ursa/Boanerges with bits of the Medusa in my opinion.

Guys, thanks! Mommothtank, I did try to move them back as been suggested in another thread. However, I didn't like the look and (in my opinion) would cause some re-loading trouble for the missile banks. Besides, it looks cleaner as shown here. :)

Yes I took elements I liked from them all. :) Still a long way to go.

All the best,
Jadehawk

I was thinking of making a ship for FS lately. But I have no clue how to. I hope your's turns out well. Your Bomber certainly feels like a FS2 era attempt at replacing the Ursa.
What kind of Bomber is it? It looks to me like a Heavy, but I really don't know how big it is. Besides we always have room for more good bombers! :)

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
How about mounting a pair of BIG anti-cap primary banks between the inner and outer banks?  A weapon with a high damage factor (possibly in the neighborhood of a medium bomb), a ludicrously long fire-wait, and takes up a full, standard weapon energy to fire... meaning if you have your ETS equalized and your weapon energy at maximum, one volley from this will empty it.  If you have your weapon energy maxed-out, it will take up most of the weapon energy, but not all.  If you have less than default power directed at weapons, it will refuse to fire, warning you of low weapon power.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Hi Folks! :)

My idea was to combine the elements I liked in most of the classic bombers in this design. One thing I always wondered is why they have such a large area for so many missiles? Why not just something that had, say..like 4 to 6 missile tubes with 7 to 10 rapid reloads?

Mommothtank, May I suggest you try this 3D program that's free and it's what I use to start all my projects:

http://www.wings3d.com/
And Blender for Optimizing the model and exporting to .pof, .obj and other formats. To be fair, Blender can do everything, but the interface is far more complicated, but can be learned if patient! :) So give wings 3D a try then Blender.
https://www.blender.org/

Trivial Psychic, thanks for the suggestions :)
I never thought of mounting Big Anti-Cap weapons on this bomber. Has this been done before as I'm not sure I seen one. If this is something the community would like to see, I can look into the design. If implemented, I would think it would take up half the Bomber loadout, but might be a good trade off for the fire power?
Folks, chime in on this please!
Condor Mk I is a Heavy Assault Bomber that is used in groups and rarely ever seen alone. In the past, Bombers of this size had maneuvering performance on the likes of a drunken pig trying to do a snappy break dance! Pretty much like the heavy bombers it replaces. But this one was designed from the outset to bring it's maneuvering performance up to a more useful level for both tactical and survival reasons. The two Anti-fighter turrets with Heavy fighter cannons improve it's self defense and make life for attacking fighter difficult in shooting this down with cannon. These have two modes, Auto and manual control used by the Weapons officer and even the pilot if needed.
Due to the large requirement for power, this ship has a 2 complete separate fusion systems, one for the engines, other for the rest of the ship. But can be linked and used in the Assault mode or as needed depending on the mission.

Crew is 2, Pilot and Weapons Officer. Pilot has control over the huge Assault cannons under the cockpit.

All the best,
Jadehawk

So now I think I pretty much got this one done,
The GTB Condor's configuration as you see it I pretty much like now. The Cockpit was the hardest out of the several configurations I tried, this one I feel good with. Seats two crew members, Pilot above the Weapons Officer. I replaced all the guns with what you see now after I installed the full Freespace 2 game and looked at the other bombers.

I need your opinion on something I wanted for a large Anti-Capital size weapon this will carry. I was going to include a twin bomb bay that dropped them from the Bomber's center bottom area. This ship can carry a total of 8, 4 in each bomb bay. The first configuration would be one behind the other, The second configuration would be side-by-side bomb bays. Which one you prefer? Should I make a model of each? Should I actually build a bomb bay? Doors too?  Or just show the doors and call it even?

https://p3d.in/iiAFc

All the best,
Jadehawk

P.S. How do I not lose my turrets when I convert my model to .POF? I think I'm supposed to keep them separate and not combined to the derail01 model right?

Thanks again
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 07:45:25 am by Jadehawk »

Update:

https://p3d.in/hYIJ9

Alternate with heavy armor and some detailing.

All the best,
Jadehawk

Offline Veers

I love those vents behind the pods. L o v e.
Current Activities/Projects: Ideas and some storyline completed.

ArmA 2&3 Mission Designer and player.

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Thanks,  do too :) Guess I'll continue on with the bomb bay :)

All the best,
Jadehawk

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I'm liking the second version.  I also compliment you on the compound-sweep of the missile bays.  I'd also suggest some variation to the engines.  The current ones feel a bit too hard-edged in my opinion.  I'd suggest forward-canting the upper portion of the engines, and perhaps narrowing the bottom portion.  Just a few ideas.  Coming along well regardless.

if i raised this ship some distance in the 4th dimension and then imported it into elite: dangerous would it be an ana condor?
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Thanks again folks! :)

I'll check out the engine mods. I too find them....somewhat wanting more . So yeah I'll give it a spin. :)

Condor was something I came up with in a pinch. Can it be changed? Of course! I liked it at first due to the large size the Raptor is and the long flights it can make.

BTW, I made the bomb bay  doors and have my examples of the Anti-Cap missiles ACM 112 sized to fit. P3D models to come soon :)

All the best,
Jadehawk

Latest changes and the new Anti-Cap Missiles just for comparison. 

All the best,
Jadehawk

https://p3d.in/LnBOh

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Are those missiles gonna be fully external or will they be kept internally and then swing down prior to firing?

If I may make another comment, from the side it looks to me as though the center of thrust is too low compared with the craft's overall mass.  I would suggest that you raise the engines up so that the top of them is level with the platform for the top turret.  The section ahead of the engines that connects them to the main hull could then slope down to connect to the hull, or step down.  Again... just my observations.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 09:07:32 pm by Trivial Psychic »

The missiles are just hanging below the bomb bays. I had them there to get an idea (AS WELL AS SHOWING YOU FOLKS!)

Will look at the engine sections again.

All the best,
Jadehawk

Ok, Stopped on the Concord and back on this pretty much most of the day.
Needless to say, adding them missile tubes was wracking my mind to pieces! But I finally got what I wanted and here is the result. Also, I completed the rear of the engines as well.

Should I add more detailing? Your opinions?

All the best,
Jadehawk

https://p3d.in/mId1I

P.S.
Please note the p3d modeling shows more Tessellating than what is actually on there.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 11:17:30 pm by Jadehawk »

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I know you spend a lot of time on the missiles, but given the size of most of the bombs a ship like this would likely be firing, they may be too small in my opinion.  If you haven't moved too far on that, you may want to consider... at least for the outer or inner bank, giving them fewer, larger missile points.  You could combine this with bank-specific loadout options in the tables so only bombs can be loaded into the "big missile" banks, and only missiles can be loaded into the "small missile" banks.  I would also suggest some detailing to the sides ahead of the engines.  Show recesses with exposed machinery, kinda like on the Herc. 1.

I was not 100% certain adding this many missile tubs would be necessary and in all honesty, I feel about half would suffice  that's shown. In reality, having this many would cause a nightmare in a very complicated system for managing this many missile tubes. You're right, bigger is better in this regard. Glad I have a habit of saving multiple copies at different stages of my work for this reason :)

Thanks and bring in more comments folks! :)

All the best,
Jadehawk