Author Topic: After near-death experience, boy says "Heaven is Real"  (Read 9084 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: After near-death experience, boy says "Heaven is Real"
I have to say that for this sort of thing to be true, it implies that God and his mechanisms for determining when and where you part with this mortal shell are very fallible.

That doesn't sound very godlike.

That's only a small part of the implications of this being true that I mentioned before though.

The kid quite clearly mentions that everyone in heaven is corporeal. I'd always understood that only your soul went to heaven. Pretty much every priest ever heard on the subject said something similar cause there are some serious problems with having a body there. Being corporeal in heaven opens a lot of issues. In heaven you're supposedly free of sin, but what are the implications of having a body there? Can you get thrown out of heaven for ****ing someone there you weren't married to on Earth? Hitting them? Trolling Jesus? Will you see your pet dog there?

That sort of question was nullified by the explanations I've heard about heaven previously but this kids experience would, if true, mean that they are all back on the table again.

Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
A lot of people would say that you are corporeal there. That's not terribly unusual. However, they'd also argue if you've gone to heaven you wouldn't have the urge to troll the system and/or you cannot, which is a pretty way of saying in Heaven your free will is damaged or removed.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I'm getting closer and closer to wanting heaven to be oblivion just so I don't have to listen to all the ****ing arguing anymore.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I'm getting closer and closer to wanting heaven to be oblivion just so I don't have to listen to all the ****ing arguing anymore.

Your wish has been granted!

Believe me, I know the feeling.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline newman

The way I see it, either there is afterlife, in which case I'll find out in due course; or there isn't, in which case when I die I'll cease to be and certainly won't care.
While I can't claim with any degree of certainty that there isn't something after death, however, it seems to me that any sentient race would invent some sort of heaven as a means of coping with their own mortality over the course of their evolution; I find that the chances of this coping mechanism actually being true are rather low.
In short, nobody can claim for certain whether you keep existing in some form after you die, but I think there's a high degree of probability that every religion on the planet is wrong on the matter.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
A lot of people would say that you are corporeal there. That's not terribly unusual.

Even that brings its own issues though. Why was his grandfather a young man but his unborn sister a child?

However, they'd also argue if you've gone to heaven you wouldn't have the urge to troll the system and/or you cannot, which is a pretty way of saying in Heaven your free will is damaged or removed.

Yep, that was the big one I was thinking of when I posted the first time. The logical conclusion of a corporeal existence in heaven is that you have no free will.

See why I said it was ****ing terrifying? :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
A lot of people would say that you are corporeal there. That's not terribly unusual.

Even that brings its own issues though. Why was his grandfather a young man but his unborn sister a child?

From a purely hypothetical perspective regarding this specific issue, with the assumption that it is real, I see two distinct possibilities:

#1. You have some control over how you appear to others.
#2. Since it (apparently) wasn't the child's time, he was shown something different, rather than some incorporeal vision.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
in the afterlife people argue about the existence of a postafterlife.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

In Soviet Heaven, afterlife questions the existence of you!

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...

Welcome to your afterlife, I guess?