Author Topic: Derelict.  (Read 2186 times)

Offline kane544

Question regarding the mission where the Capellan refugees start arriving. Is the Sneak transport supposed to be allowed near Governor M'Kembe? I ask because every time I've destroyed it, the mission seems to stop progressing even after the cruisers go down.

Offline Makhpella

• Kharak is burning!
As far as I remember, no. It's trying to kidnap the Governor, so definitely blow up.

Don't remember much else though.
'I'm from the marksman school of conversation.' -Kovacs

Offline kane544

I do know an Iceni frigate is supposed to show up late in the mission. Trouble is, it doesn't seem to be.

Offline Makhpella

• Kharak is burning!
Do you get the actual lines from the big G about the transport being too close and frying it? I really don't know what might be your problem. I've gone through Derelict several times with no issues.

Offline kane544

No actually. I pounce on the transport as soon as it shows up.

Offline Makhpella

• Kharak is burning!
Wait a little. Don't know, a minute or something. Wait for him to speak.

Offline kane544

Will try that.

I could never finish that mission with MediaVPs because I think something about the HTL Typhon's docking bay doesn't play nice with the original mission's endpoint. When I played it without MVPs, it went just fine. Switched back after that and no more issues I can remember.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Rather than opening a new thread, I thought I'd simply add onto this one.

Possible Spoilers.

I have encountered some odd problems with Derelict recently (the most recent SCP-enabled version).  Some may in fact be code issues, while others are simply oops moments in regards to FREDding.

Firstly, in the mission DL2-10 "Descent" when the Auriga makes its first appearance, I'm not sure if this is code anomaly, or some kind of really elaborate attempt to prevent the player from screwing with campaign continuity.  See, I happened to be packing Trebuchets when I played that mission, and decided to snipe off the Auriga's beam turrets so I could save the Event Horizon base and the Nimrod cruiser.  Then, after my fighters departed and I had eliminated the remaining enemy fighters, I decided I would Treb the hell out of the Auriga and destroy it, getting the kill points for it.  When I had sniped out the last turret, the screen suddenly started whipping around as though someone was doing rapid circles with my stick's hat and it was going rapidly from one view to another.  I managed to clear this by tapping the afterburners, but when the screen settled, the Primary Objective Complete message was up and it stayed up indefinitely.  Then, nearly all of my directives disappeared and slowly started returning, one by one, over the next several minutes.  Also, I could no longer fire primary weapons or my non-Treb bank of secondaries.  I then proceeded to target and destroy every subsystem, and over time, eventually I regained fire control over the other secondary bank (armed with Tornadoes) and my primary banks.  Things appeared to be back to normal (except for the Objective Complete message), and I was getting the Orion's hull pretty low, when it happened again.  I continued my attack until at last the Auriga's hull failed and she exploded.  I had moved some distance out, but was still buffeted by the shock-wave.  I decided that it was time to warp out, and it would begin the power-up sound, but never opened the vortex.  I then realized that I no longer had control over my direction.  I could turn the ship completely around at any angle, but was always traveling in the same direction.  I even tried my afterburners, but they would only accelerate me in the direction I was traveling, not how I was facing.  Eventually, I gave up and abandoned the mission, and restarted Freespace.  I got to the same point and the same screen jumble triggered again.  I aborted again at that point and restarted, deciding I wouldn't try to completely disarm the Auriga, but instead would just create a safe zone from where I could attack in safety, but the same effect triggered again.  I decided to just try to warp out, and it worked.  There was no weirdness in the debriefing, and I moved on to the next mission, but I was still not sure if this was a code anomaly, or some kind of elaborate FRED technique to prevent the player from taking out a campaign-critical enemy target.  It should be noted that I am using the new Leviathan and I was using an Win64 build from this month, though I may have also tried it with a build from Sept. 30th.

Second, in D03-03 "Swimming with Sharks", I had been doing my job to disarm the Shivan cap-ships that were arriving, and I had decided to maxim the hell out of the Tulzscha and get the Lilith kill, when suddenly my view went black.  I could still see my HUD, my afterburners still worked, but that was it.  I could also tell I was getting hit, but nothing else.  I decided to abort and try it again, but got the same result.  On my third play-through (I may have reverted to the Sept.30th build) I didn't try to take out the cruiser, and focused on fighters, and the problem didn't reoccur.

Thirdly, and I am SURE this is a FREDding problem... I was playing DL2-11, "The Stars are Right" when the derelict Lucifer awakens.  It seems that there is no way to end the mission.  The end mission directive tells you to land on Tau Sigma Station, which usually is triggered by a distance check event, with an end-mission sexp.  Unfortunately, the event never triggers, because regardless of the directive, the event is a "has departed, Alpha 1" event, and somewhere along the way the jump drive is off-line.  I had to modify the mission in FRED with the proper trigger conditions (and used a subsystem distance trigger for the fighterbay) and a end-mission sexp in order to complete it.  I also cleaned up the directives to destroy enemy craft so you can tell how many are left, and I gave the Irving transport a departure condition in the ships editor.

Anyone got any ideas regarding the first two?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Firstly, in the mission DL2-10 "Descent" when the Auriga makes its first appearance, I'm not sure if this is code anomaly, or some kind of really elaborate attempt to prevent the player from screwing with campaign continuity.  See, I happened to be packing Trebuchets when I played that mission, and decided to snipe off the Auriga's beam turrets so I could save the Event Horizon base and the Nimrod cruiser.  Then, after my fighters departed and I had eliminated the remaining enemy fighters, I decided I would Treb the hell out of the Auriga and destroy it, getting the kill points for it.  When I had sniped out the last turret, the screen suddenly started whipping around as though someone was doing rapid circles with my stick's hat and it was going rapidly from one view to another.  I managed to clear this by tapping the afterburners, but when the screen settled, the Primary Objective Complete message was up and it stayed up indefinitely.  Then, nearly all of my directives disappeared and slowly started returning, one by one, over the next several minutes.  Also, I could no longer fire primary weapons or my non-Treb bank of secondaries.  I then proceeded to target and destroy every subsystem, and over time, eventually I regained fire control over the other secondary bank (armed with Tornadoes) and my primary banks.  Things appeared to be back to normal (except for the Objective Complete message), and I was getting the Orion's hull pretty low, when it happened again.  I continued my attack until at last the Auriga's hull failed and she exploded.  I had moved some distance out, but was still buffeted by the shock-wave.  I decided that it was time to warp out, and it would begin the power-up sound, but never opened the vortex.  I then realized that I no longer had control over my direction.  I could turn the ship completely around at any angle, but was always traveling in the same direction.  I even tried my afterburners, but they would only accelerate me in the direction I was traveling, not how I was facing.  Eventually, I gave up and abandoned the mission, and restarted Freespace.  I got to the same point and the same screen jumble triggered again.  I aborted again at that point and restarted, deciding I wouldn't try to completely disarm the Auriga, but instead would just create a safe zone from where I could attack in safety, but the same effect triggered again.  I decided to just try to warp out, and it worked.  There was no weirdness in the debriefing, and I moved on to the next mission, but I was still not sure if this was a code anomaly, or some kind of elaborate FRED technique to prevent the player from taking out a campaign-critical enemy target.  It should be noted that I am using the new Leviathan and I was using an Win64 build from this month, though I may have also tried it with a build from Sept. 30th.

I've actually encountered this problem too, and in different parts of different campaigns. It's definitely not a Derelict thing, this is apparently a bug that only select people encounter. None of the SCP people I've talked to have ever experienced it, and initially it was thought the cause was TrackIR. If you can, can you record the mission and recreate the wibbly wobbly? You've pretty much described the very issue I've been having, with the difference being unable to warp out.

Second, in D03-03 "Swimming with Sharks", I had been doing my job to disarm the Shivan cap-ships that were arriving, and I had decided to maxim the hell out of the Tulzscha and get the Lilith kill, when suddenly my view went black.  I could still see my HUD, my afterburners still worked, but that was it.  I could also tell I was getting hit, but nothing else.  I decided to abort and try it again, but got the same result.  On my third play-through (I may have reverted to the Sept.30th build) I didn't try to take out the cruiser, and focused on fighters, and the problem didn't reoccur.

That's a NaN error, also a code thing. Try playing through the whole mission with the October 10 nightly. Seems the NaN stuff has been cropping up again recently.

Thirdly, and I am SURE this is a FREDding problem... I was playing DL2-11, "The Stars are Right" when the derelict Lucifer awakens.  It seems that there is no way to end the mission.  The end mission directive tells you to land on Tau Sigma Station, which usually is triggered by a distance check event, with an end-mission sexp.  Unfortunately, the event never triggers, because regardless of the directive, the event is a "has departed, Alpha 1" event, and somewhere along the way the jump drive is off-line.  I had to modify the mission in FRED with the proper trigger conditions (and used a subsystem distance trigger for the fighterbay) and a end-mission sexp in order to complete it.  I also cleaned up the directives to destroy enemy craft so you can tell how many are left, and I gave the Irving transport a departure condition in the ships editor.

Odd, because this never happened to me. Played through the whole thing and only experienced the weird NaN stuff.

I could never finish that mission with MediaVPs because I think something about the HTL Typhon's docking bay doesn't play nice with the original mission's endpoint. When I played it without MVPs, it went just fine. Switched back after that and no more issues I can remember.

This isn't an issue anymore.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 10:27:38 pm by Cobra »
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

I'm pretty sure you guys got a haunted Freespace install.

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
I have fixed that mission a long time ago. Well, the old old version. Just added new events in FRED.