Author Topic: master of orion 2  (Read 6037 times)

Offline Dagolith

• Whatever
I got MOO from a friend of mine, and i think its IMPOSSIBLE to run on XP.  :sigh:

They dont make games like they used to....games like MOO had it hands down on most games out there today.
well, actualy since i made this thread, i've downloaded and instaled it long ago.
umm... So i was looking for some of those fun times on the internet that my friends are always talking about... lying ****ers.

The REAL successor to MOO2 is Galactic Civilizations II.

Eh....GC2 ain't a bad little game, but it's way too abstracted to be a successor to MOO2.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
GalCiv 2 is boring.

Swarm my Hiver minions! Swarm!
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Moo3, with the lastest addons, isn't that "bad" (was MUCH worse before). It simply is somewhat different than what everybody expected (myself included) it to be.

And regarding Moo2 and XP, have a look here: http://lordbrazen.blogspot.com/ or here: http://masteroforion2.blogspot.com/.

Anyone in for some multiplayer? :D
----------------------------------------------
GTD Swiss Pride - Orion Class
Swiss 1st Fleet, Sector 32 - Ore Belt - Sol
----------------------------------------------
"I'm an engineer!"

Eve: Since Beta Phase 2
Civilizazion Fan: Seems like forever...
SimCity Fan: SC 2000 is still the best
TT Fan: Since 1995
Switzerland: Since 1291

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Which is the dogs nadgers, really :)

...is that a good thing? :nervous:

Very good.  Especially for the lady dog.

The reward for good management in MOO2 was being able to personally oversee the destruction of large enemy fleets with your own. The tactics you could use in battle were pretty varied if you invested in the special techs, and capturing Antaran ships was definitely the most fun part :)

Offline Dagolith

• Whatever
i think the most fun part of MOO2 was building doom stars devoted to either missiles or fighters, just swarms of death closing in on the enemy was always fun.
umm... So i was looking for some of those fun times on the internet that my friends are always talking about... lying ****ers.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
99 heavy mount plasma cannon Doomstars :-)
Ace
-Alfred Hitchcock

I used autofire disrupters myself.

Most fun parts:
Doomstar / Phase Cloak / Hyper X Capacitors/Time Warp Facilitator - anything not equivalently equipped dies without firing a shot
Minaturizing up to the point you can fit a stellar convertor on a battleship
Specialized Antaran capturing vessels
Tier 5 Shields:  Class 5 shields and Gauss Cannons.  Evil, evil tech.

Offline Dagolith

• Whatever
hello, does no one remember the stellar cannon or the mauler devices? besides, i loved to make light class ships with as many death rays that i could fit on it (whoraa for battle pods) and attack people with swarms of them :)

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
    • http://www.angelfire.com/games2/fsarchive/index.html
I could never get a handle on tactical combat or ship designing.  Always ended up getting creamed near the end fo the game because of it.  Though I may change my method now that I have some new ideas on how to do it.  That said, I usually play strategic and with uncreative races.  Makes the game that much more fun.
Warpstorm  Bringing Disorder to Chaos, And Eventually We'll Get It Right.

---------

I know there is a method, but all I see is madness.

Maulers were interesting in theory, but not especially useful since they didn't miniaturize as well as plasmas or disrupters, and couldn't be fitted with autofire mods.  Their always hit bonus was kinda meh too, since they were late game tech and by then you couldn't miss anything short of a cloaked alkari frigate.

Converters were very nice, but not for combat - the space/damage ratio was just too low.  I considered them a resource enhancing device myself.  Assuming there are at least 2 planets in a system, blow one up, take the other, reconstruct the one you blew up into a large barren world, give the other to an enemy, blow that up and repeat.
It was the only was to improve planetary size, or get rid of the ****ing toxic worlds.

Oh, and I habitually blew up other races homeworlds.  But that was more a political move then a resource one.

Offline Dagolith

• Whatever
well, i usually tended to invade all worlds with more than 12 buildings, just because, once you get all of the buildings techs. it's a bith to build another from scratch, also with a lot of planets that were generally advanced, i could use some to make money, and some to build ship constantly (lots of light class fighters with death rays) 20-25 of those things took no time to build, and i could take on a whole fleet of any other race easily.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
CalCiv II: Dark Avatar is out now, btw... some of the features look quite fascinating, like the ability to define ship templates for both yourself AND custom opponents.... FS mod, anyone? ;)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
...and the ability to be bored with even more spreadsheets.

*Launches siege driver rounds*
Ace
-Alfred Hitchcock