Author Topic: Cutscene Upgrade Project  (Read 374820 times)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Cutscene Upgrade [RELEASE: EndGame (FS1)]
Why would someone remake the trailer?
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline BirdofPrey

• Help! I see GIMP in my sleep
Why not?  I've seen people attempt to remake some scenes in engine to achieve a similar effect as a sort of FSO trailer.
Never looks quite right.
The Great War ended 30 years ago.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

In testing: Radar Icons

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Eh.. maybe. The original FS2 trailer would need some serious tweaking to translate it to a modern audience.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
This is relevant.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Ohooooo

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter

Offline Oddgrim

• I like building stuff.
    • Art Thumblr
[GhostOfMjn: I can provide hi res vasudan ass]
[Hades]: we have so much in common we should bang.
My models page:
http://p3d.in/u/Oddgrim

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
2nd run animation check. Some things to fix. Some things work well!

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
The eyes don't give the same panic that those of Lt. Ash in the original do.  For one, there's kind of a black eye-liner on the upper lid, also his eyes are more open, with a higher arch on the top than the bottom.

Lookin' good otherwise.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yeah, I'm not recreating Lt. Ash directly. That black "eyeliner" was an ugly attempt at eyelashes back in the late 90s. Mine has actual modelled eyelashes. Volition barely animated the actual facial features at all, especially leaving the eyes permanently wide open. You try doing that for more than a few seconds and see how it works.

I've spent a good deal of time in front of the mirror trying out Ash's features to match what makes sense and to fix what's weird. In my version his eyes actually widen when he yells for help and other things. Watch the original when he yells "ANYONE PLEASE?!". His face is static. I've changed that, reserving wide eyes and brows up for those moments.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Yeah, those original eyes absolutely scream late 90s CGI cutscene--nothing against that, because that's exactly what they were, but still.  This is a huge improvement. :yes:

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
I'm so used to the late 90s cgi that this looks off :P

Seriously though it's looking great!
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
If you're looking to add some more to the scene, you could rough him up a bit.  Assume that during the battle, damage to his fighter caused electrical shorts in the cockpit.  Perhaps bits of exploding console put some scrapes on some of the exposed sections of his face, along with some soot and grime.  Perhaps even some superficial damage to his helmet.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I've always hated the Star Trek method of space combat.. who designs a battle ship with conduits so poorly connected that hull damage literally causes them to explode? What is IN those computer consoles?

I know the original helmet had some damage on it. I thought about adding it to be consistent, but I'm also lazy. The helmet mesh is mirrored, so to add damage that doesn't obviously look mirrored, I have to split up the UV map.. which I suppose I COULD do... It's work... I'll add that to the bottom of the list. We'll see if I get around to it or not.

I had assumed that his ship hit something or was hit by something that caused him to jerk and bash his helmet against something. Although I suppose those seats/suits are designed to avoid that kind of thing...

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Wear and tear on the helmet makes sense just after years of grabbing it off the shelf, dropping it on the deck, throwing it into the cockpit while climbing up the ladder, etc. It's just that to add wear-and-tear, I need to un-mirror the UV map on the mesh.. which is normally easy, but this mesh is already merged and rigged for animation.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I've always hated the Star Trek method of space combat.. who designs a battle ship with conduits so poorly connected that hull damage literally causes them to explode? What is IN those computer consoles?

I know the original helmet had some damage on it. I thought about adding it to be consistent, but I'm also lazy. The helmet mesh is mirrored, so to add damage that doesn't obviously look mirrored, I have to split up the UV map.. which I suppose I COULD do... It's work... I'll add that to the bottom of the list. We'll see if I get around to it or not.

If you for some really dumb reason routed high power conduits up to the control stations, instead of remotely controlling them (I'm assuming they would then be located in Engineering and the points closest to the systems they service), it would make sense.  Otherwise, not.  Or maybe if they didn't isolate the control circuits from the power lines they controlled.  :rolleyes:

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
Wear and tear on the helmet makes sense just after years of grabbing it off the shelf, dropping it on the deck, throwing it into the cockpit while climbing up the ladder, etc. It's just that to add wear-and-tear, I need to un-mirror the UV map on the mesh.. which is normally easy, but this mesh is already merged and rigged for animation.

I've only spent a few productive hours learning blender, so ignore me if anything I say is stupid:

Couldn't you make a transparent 3d model with a texture over the part of the helmet you want to texture? like a decal? or is that a dumb way to do things? I'm asking as someone who wants to learn this kind of stuff.

Also, with the justification you provided, it seems to me that you will probably end up doing it for something else anyway, may as well.

Looks awesome by the way!
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter

I've only spent a few productive hours learning blender, so ignore me if anything I say is stupid:

Couldn't you make a transparent 3d model with a texture over the part of the helmet you want to texture? like a decal? or is that a dumb way to do things? I'm asking as someone who wants to learn this kind of stuff.

While that is a way that you could get the appearance of something on the helmet, it's more of a hack. And that's only going to work in the additive, really. To get good looking scratches and dents, I need a height map. That's not going to work right as an added on top layer.

Also, with the justification you provided, it seems to me that you will probably end up doing it for something else anyway, may as well.

The pilot model is only used in one other cutscene and just barely (command brief). So this is pretty much his last outing.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Guys. I made it low-res and the compression blocky so it'd be just like the original! So legit.