Author Topic: Indart refueling bug  (Read 1794 times)

after the refueling is complete and the order is given to land in the Theseus, a weird bug occurs. there is no collision in the landing pods...all attempts to land are pointless, and no matter how many times i attempt to touch down, there is no satisfying clunk of the mag locks, i just pass through the model, even if i slow to a stop and apply vertical thrusters... then the Theseus jumps without me and i get killed...its kind of pointless to play the mission if i cant even land...

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
This isn't the first report I've heard of this error but the add-to-collision-group SEXP isn't used in this mission so I'm somewhat mystified as to why this only happens in M5.

Are you getting the Enter Flightpod Directive on your HUD?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Swifty

• I reject your fantasy & substitute my own
What version of Diaspora is installed?

latest version and patch and yes i get the return to flight pod command in the hud with the countdown...

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Then the really weird thing with this bug is that you don't actually need to touch the deck for the game to actually end. You just need to be in the right position.

So it appears we actually are dealing with two bugs.
1) The mission end SEXP isn't triggering
2) Something is wrong with the collision detection that is allowing the player to fly through the deck in M5.

thats the funny thing about coding, it can work fine in one mission, and in the next one it doesnt work at all...

im wondering if the collision on the Theseus pods, or something related is not triggered when the order to return is given? is it turned off at all? or is it related to the ability to combat dock? what things are triggered when the order to return is given? im assuming the pod deck changes state from being a solid object that you can crash into, into a modified solid object with docking characteristics? maybe it gets stuck between the two states? that would explain the lack of collision and the inability to dock...but it is only a state change on the pods, the main hull of Theseus remains the same throughout the mission...

maybe changing the mission to allow for combat landing at any point of the mission? of course this would end up in a failed objective state, or less than desirable outcome, (which could mess the story line tree up a bit for the player if they choose to land prematurely... i guess) but might be a solution...

im not sure what killed me, maybe the Indart blew up, or a raider shot me through the hull enough times to whittle me down below a safe percentage so when i was finally naked (when Theseus jumped) it was an easy kill? not sure, i was too focused on trying to land...

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Best not to guess. I'm an SCP coder myself and I didn't even attempt to guess at why the ship falls through the hull. It's not my area of expertise to I leave it to those (like Swifty) who do know the subject.

As for the mission, no. Changing it would be a very bad idea. If a Raider does manage to get into the pod you couldn't go after it without triggering the mission landing and automatically failing the mission. Even if that wasn't an issue, that kind of large scale hack is a bad idea. If there is a problem with them mission, you fix the problem, you don't hack in a solution. That just makes the entire mission more prone to bugs.

As for what killed you, you should actually get a message on the death screen stating exactly what killed you. It might be worth getting that message again just so we know. It might be unrelated to the problem or it might be the clue that solves it.

ok i guess i can try it again, but no guarantee it will reproduce...might have been a memory overflow or something...could be just a fluke, we shall see...

ok, i could not reproduce the bug, but i did manage to complete the mission and land, which is odd, but it was probably because i did not have the exe registered as a game in process lasso, but now it is, and since then the game has less hanging...not sure why it hangs anyway since my system is not that old...

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
The collision issue sounds like the problem that Goober was describing in the FSO 3.6.14 RC8 thread.  Weird collision issues after playing a few missions, but is also very hard to replicate (note that the executable in that linked thread will not run Diaspora).
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments