Author Topic: High Poly GTD Orion  (Read 118809 times)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
... and I don't recall retail textures implying doors.

Ya, so the GTVA also posses some teleport tech, and the fighters materialize out of thin air nothingness outside the ship? :wtf:

Belated sarcastic answer...

Alt+J
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Old link broke, here's the new one. http://p3d.in/eqbjM

Also a bit more detail work on the front bit done, wiring will come later (when I CBA to do it, it's extremely time consuming)
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Crybertrance

• Conventional warheads only, no funny business
Old link broke, here's the new one. http://p3d.in/eqbjM

Also a bit more detail work on the front bit done, wiring will come later (when I CBA to do it, it's extremely time consuming)

Looking awesome as always Hades! Good job  :yes:

Btw, are those circular thingies (above the Thrusters and elsewhere on the ship) AA beams? 
<21:08:30>   Hartzaden fires a slammer at Cybertrance
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:11:58>   *** The_E joined #bp [email protected]
21:11:58   +++ ChanServ has given op to The_E
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command
<21:14:50>   Hartzaden jamms the transmission.
<21:14:51>   The_E explodes the sun

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Love the progress so far mate
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Luis Dias

I love the way you are hollowing it out. It's amazingly accurate to the canon Orion, while reinterpreting the textured trusses as actual hollow trusses.

Please do more of that!  :yes:

Offline Hades

Btw, are those circular thingies (above the Thrusters and elsewhere on the ship) AA beams?
They're not, it's some texture detail thing, which is probably escape pods like the ones on the CR90 or something.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Nice to see more armour plates on the hull :D Over rounded parts are not as much noticeable as they were before. Can't wait to see the final mesh.

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
Why did you model the name on the nameplate? I know you could just have a separate blank model that makes use of nameplate textures, but it'd be kinda weird to see a modeled name in one mission and a textured name in another.
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline Luis Dias

I really hope that's just Hades having fun.

Offline Hades

It is.
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Hades

----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
*drools*
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
no longer a giant cube of death eh?

nice work :yes:
el hombre vicio...

Looking good, Hades. I like how dense and unified your model is.

A small critique: the recent greebling over top of the nameplate looks a bit arbitrary. I don't know if you have a plan with the texture, but it's something to be aware of.

Offline Hades

A small critique: the recent greebling over top of the nameplate looks a bit arbitrary. I don't know if you have a plan with the texture, but it's something to be aware of.
The place above the nameplate was the same tex as near the front, I'm just greebling it too for consistency's sake.
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Aren't things like all those tiny pipes near the front the kind of thing that's best left to normal maps?  Not that more detail is a bad thing, but freeing up polygons there would allow more detail in other places.  Plus, the difference between details that small and well done normal maps is barely going to be noticeable.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Doesn't he need a high poly model in order to make the Normals? Afaik, Hades is not as foolish as I would be about poly counts!

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
According to p3d it's only at 38k. He's got -plenty- of polies to spare if the new Sath, Hades, Arcadia, Typhon are any example.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Doesn't he need a high poly model in order to make the Normals? Afaik, Hades is not as foolish as I would be about poly counts!

Baking a super high poly mesh is one way to create normal maps, but it's not the only way, and not the way most FS normal maps are done.

According to p3d it's only at 38k. He's got -plenty- of polies to spare if the new Sath, Hades, Arcadia, Typhon are any example.

If the wireframe view is to be believed it's not entirely triangulated though.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 11:12:36 pm by blowfish »

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
OK, and? At worst it's at 76k. But I doubt it's that high.

Hades is 104k total for detail0 (includes all subobjects and destroyed variants, not lods or debris.). Sath is 199k. Arcadia is 80k.

He is definitely not at a point where he needs to be cutting polies. Let's just let Hades do his thing and we can worry about the poly count later.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.