Author Topic: Mouse Control  (Read 25911 times)

Is there a way I can use the Freespace style mouse controls? I know it was changed to match the controls in the WC games, but I prefer the Freespace style.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 06:25:23 pm by Jake2447 »

Uh, could you be a bit more specific? Where exactly?

I was wondering the same. I masively prefer the Freespace style mouse controll. This new style actively dimishes my fun with the game as targeting is a major pain in the a** and I cant hit the broadside of a barn.

yes i agree..
The classic Freespace Mouse Control is much better.
The idea behind this control is cool indeed but if you playing both games you will lost the aiming.

Ideal was a toggle between the 2 Mouse behaviors.

Greetings Peter

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I'm playing full keyboard because this mouse control is... 'not my cup of tea' to put it politely.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/03/22/back-in-the-cockpit-wing-commander-saga/  :

Update: Comment-Hero Dominic White points out that you can adjust the deadzone problem from the joystick controls. I hadn’t really looked over there since I wasn’t using one, but a quick tweak there indeed completely fixes that control and makes the mouse floaty and lovely.

The mouse control is sluggish for me in the menu system?  FYI have all mouse acceleration disabled in Windows if that matters (via registry hacks etc. for FPS competition).

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
You could turn up the sensitivity in windows... not sure if the in-game mouse sensitivity (F2 key) will change the menu responsiveness or not.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
I'm still downloading... did they actually adjust the mouse-handling code? Or is this using some variation of the mouse script?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
I'm guessing the latter, as the joystick deadzone options affect the mouse... but I really don't know for sure.

Offline chaotic

I agree, please bring back the Freespace mouse control! With the current mouse control I fly and aim like a drunk and can't even hit a target directly in front of me  :doubt:

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
If it's a script, it should be fairly easy to override it with a dummy script of the same name. If it's hardcoded, then you're screwed.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

You could turn up the sensitivity in windows... not sure if the in-game mouse sensitivity (F2 key) will change the menu responsiveness or not.

To be clear, this has nothing to do with sensitivity or the deadzone (the joystick deadzone slider affect the mouse, btw). The problem here is, thats its a entirely different type of mouse control than in FS.

Freespace mouse control was like an FPS: the movement of the mouse directly translated into an equivalent turn of the ship. That means if you dont move the mouse, the ship will not turn. This has two effects:
1) to contantly turn you also have to move the mouse constantly in the same direction. If you reach the end of the mousepad or any other obstacle you have to lift the mouse and set it on a convinient spot at the mousepad manually.
BUT 2) it provides an extremely high precision with the ships "nose" itself.

With this new control scheme your position of the mouse cursor on the screen determines the direction and turnspeed of your ship. Instead of directly controling the ship you only set the direction and speed of the movement. This means if you want to stop turning you have to position the mouse cursor back into the center of the screen. But unlike a joystick, which has itself a center it can "snap" back to, there is no guidance for the mouse. It is very easy to miss the center or shoot the cursor way over in the other direction. The effect is a massive loss in precision.

Offline chaotic

Totally agree with Zombimode, that is exactly the problem. I think it is better to keep the Freespace mouse control OR to adapt the control from Freelancer, which means that the position of the mouse cursor is were your weapons are shooting (so enemies don't have to be in the center of the screen to hit them). Maybe this would make the game too easy? Not sure.
However, the current solution is probably the worst I think :(
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 04:36:42 am by chaotic »

I don't have any problem with the new mouse controls. I'm able to steer my fighter and aim very well.
Audio Converter of Enigma Campaign 2666:
http://enigma.de.to/

German translator of WC: Hostile Frontier:
http://www.ciinet.org/kevin/wchf/

My Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/FekLeyrTarg?feature=mhee

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Yar!  You need a toggle button, like in the toggleable mouse script link in my sig... so you can dynamically switch between this new mode (good for dogfighting) and FreeSpace mode (good for sniping!)

Offline chaotic

Yar!  You need a toggle button, like in the toggleable mouse script link in my sig... so you can dynamically switch between this new mode (good for dogfighting) and FreeSpace mode (good for sniping!)
This would be perfect

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
So, perhaps if this is the result of a script you could install this one to WCS (just use WCS's directory instead of FS in the directions)

Offline KeldorKatarn

We'll see what we can do. but keep in mind, this game was never designed for mouse in the first place. And during the beta we got overwhelming negative feedback for the original FS style Mouse controls...

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
We'll see what we can do. but keep in mind, this game was never designed for mouse in the first place. And during the beta we got overwhelming negative feedback for the original FS style Mouse controls...
:wtf:
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

The best will then be an option to switch on or off the new mouse behavior - this will be the best way. Then can everybody choice his favorite mouse steering system ;)