Author Topic: HELP to become a Modder  (Read 4317 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: HELP to become a Modder
wat. No. Under no circumstances should you alter the retail vps. You should put custom data in a separate mod folder, like this:

1. Create a new folder in your fs2 directory. Call it mymod or whatever.
2. In that folder, create a new text file named mod.ini. Paste the following text into it:
Code: [Select]
[multimod]
secondarylist = mediavps_3612;
3. Create a new directory here called data.
4. In the data directory, create a folder structure as explained here: http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/FS2_Data_Structure
Note that you do not need every directory listed there; for now all you need are the tables and music directories
5. Put your custom music tbl in the tables directory (if you have one) and the music files in the music directory
6. Start FRED
7. Make missions using your custom soundtrack (Note that the game will not automatically play your new sounds; You need to alter the missions to do that explicitly)
8. Have fun
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

also ill be working on my GTD Hades Fighter... and try it against the colossus!!! and the SJ Sathanas and SSJ Gigas from INFERNO this is gonna be so awesome!!  :D BTW im gonna pack it with LRB Greens and BF Reds and throw the occasional shivan super lazer :P

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOkay.

You know, it's actually completely fine for a beginning tabler/modder to make an epic ship than can pwn everything.

What is a tabler? Obviously (I'm guessing) they make tables. Which brings me to my next question. What is a table? :P
If you're wondering why my questions must seem so stupid is because I am VERY new to the world of programming.

Tables are something specific to Freespace.

You may want to read this :
http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Tables

Tables are something specific to Freespace.

You may want to read this :
http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Tables

Ah ok. So they aren't used for all mods, just the Freespace ones. Bummer, I was hoping that would be the case for all games :P

Offline PeterX

• Peter
What the TBL/TBM for FSOpen is,is the XLI for "Rule the rail!". Its a definitionfile that orders the FSO-engine,what models/sounds/ai´s with what properities,has to load.
Peter

If i can´t model any ship then i use "flying trains" :-)

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
most games use a table system for storing information but they are usually stored in a computer code format, games like FS where the information is in human readable format is rare and can be quite inefficient on a processing stand point
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

most games use a table system for storing information but they are usually stored in a computer code format, games like FS where the information is in human readable format is rare and can be quite inefficient on a processing stand point

Hmm, that sort of explains it I guess :P Is there a more layman term you could put that in? Sort of like an analogy? Or is is one of those, "If you don't get it this way, you probably never will" things? :P

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Okay, let's see.....

In FS, most information about the game, the ships and weapons, and other gameplay options, is contained in simple text files. Apart from a few instances where binary files are necessary (models, images and sounds), everything there is to know about a mod can be discovered by reading the table files.
Of course, this means that modifying said data is rather easy, as you can use a text editor to do it.

Now, headdie said that this can be inefficient. He's wrong. Parsing this information is a one time operation that you have to do on startup anyway, and I would say that error-checking a human-readable file is easier than hunting for errors in a binary.

Other games, however, store the same information in binary files that require specialized editing tools to read and edit, which makes modding extra hard if those tools aren't available.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Okay, let's see.....

In FS, most information about the game, the ships and weapons, and other gameplay options, is contained in simple text files. Apart from a few instances where binary files are necessary (models, images and sounds), everything there is to know about a mod can be discovered by reading the table files.
Of course, this means that modifying said data is rather easy, as you can use a text editor to do it.

Now, headdie said that this can be inefficient. He's wrong. Parsing this information is a one time operation that you have to do on startup anyway, and I would say that error-checking a human-readable file is easier than hunting for errors in a binary.

Other games, however, store the same information in binary files that require specialized editing tools to read and edit, which makes modding extra hard if those tools aren't available.

Hey I learned something! =D
So I'm guessing that's what games like Fallout 3 are so easily moddable? Because the devs released the right tools for it.

Cheers ;)

Offline Zanar

• Prometheus R and Subach HL7 Combo FTW!
Ty to all ur help i will see that i actually make the musicz work hopefully......

annnyyywhoo im looking forward to finishing my mod and sharing it wif all of you :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
If you hate the Subach HL7 you are an enemy