Author Topic: Ultra HD Bearcat  (Read 13812 times)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Really nice. :) It's a shame it probably won't be very usable in FS by this point...

Until we get proper dae importing with animation, ya it's kinda out of SCP scope.  On the upside, the wells will be closed off which means about 35,000 polys less that the engine will have to deal with.

The hull I've been scratching my head over.  I'm using detail texturing over the main hull instead of using a simple texture.  The main hull is 50% grey which causes the detail texture to take over.  What I'm wondering if it's possible to add general noise (oil smear, rust, damage, etc...) over that detail texture.

Anyways I have to go over a lot of the model.  Apparently I've been doing something wrong for ages (it doesn't effect SCP or even Unreal, but it exists), Flipped UVWs.  If you make an object and create a symmetric (or even mirrored) version, that version will have a flipped uv and you will need to go in and flip the uv's which will most likely result in having to have a separate unique uv map.  Which isn't that bad anyways, I'm finding out things work better with unique uv's (Ambient Occlusion can be problematic) and besides multiple 4k resolution isn't nearly as bad as it used to be.

As soon as I'm happy with all the different versions of the wheel well, I'll be releasing them for general use.
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

I'm still alive! Just giving another update...
Still working on the same area for ages now... The panel lines has taken several attempts to get it looking good and being reasonably easy to create (that still needs work, it's still taking a lot of time, even though even in FPS mode you can't really see mistakes).

I definitely need to somehow cut down on the number of materials it uses, 33 so far  :eek2: BUT.... a lot of the materials reuse the same texture, so not as bad with memory usage, but still bad for draw calls. I used to have a shader method that let you paint the hull with the 7 different texture styles (bare hull, dull black, shiney red, steel, blue...etc) but that was hard to maintain and didn't really work very well.

The main hull is comprised of two different texture sets (sets = diffuse & rough & metal).  The clean bare texture is a simple 512 tiled texture similar to how SC is supposed to be designed.  The bare hull, steel hull, aluminum hull, dull black, shiney red, dullish blue and caution stripes are the choices . 

Then on a different UV channel (2) there's a scratched/stained map (4k map).  This one is more complicated and needs to have the textural space big enough to reasonable show off the details without being too blurry.  The bearcat uses one per tiling panel set (blue,black, steel,bare, red, caution), except for the bare hull that uses 4.  I use Substance Painter to create this texture since it does a nice job with edges.  BTW this texture will look a bit weird, it contains information about the scratches/stains ONLY (there is an opacity texture with this one).  A shader merges this layer with the underlaying texture to create a worn damaged look.

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

A few more optimizations, material usage down by 50%, texture usage down by some and a few feature let's sorta lets you set the level of wear on it.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
That's going to take a he'll of a long time to 3D print.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png