Author Topic: Specifying textures in Ship Table  (Read 3401 times)

Specifying textures in Ship Table
Hi guys

Is it possible to specify the textures you want to use on a ship in the ship table?
To expand, I'm currently fiddling with different coloured glow maps on some ships. When modding them in game I have to make a duplicate of the pof file, change the name and then edit it in PCS 2, then finally make the table entry.
In the current case I'm using the sathanas and its pof file is like 63mb alone, duplicating it seems excessively heavy in terms of size.

This made me wonder if there is any table entries you can include where you can use the stock model while specifying in the table to use different textures for the ship?
Too many ideas.....not enough FREDing time!

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Re: Specifying textures in Ship Table
Thanks, ill give it a try

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Does this actually work now? How long has it worked for?
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Well im not having any luck getting it to work.
Not sure how to set it out, the wiki page doesn't it how to set it out all to well (or at least to me)

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Hmph. looks like there's several outstanding bugs with this one. I'll try poking around to see what's going on with it.

[EDIT] In the meantime, could you try running a debug build with your ship.tbl changes? If it spits out any warning or error messages, would you please copy+paste them here? thanks
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 02:28:59 am by z64555 »
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

hey z64555
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, I've been away from freespace for a while however.......
firstly I managed to table it properly now (I wasn't including the +old and +new parts properly) but it doesn't change anything as you may already now. I ran a debug build of 3.7.2 RC4 and it didn't spew any error's in regards to our issue here. (Only some other issue with a weapon of mine that's incomplete)

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
Try using a 3.7.3 nightly. As for whether or not replacement textures work, they should be, since I've been able to use it properly since 3.7.2. An important thing to note is that replacement textures may or may not work in the ship lab, I'm still working out the specifics there. If you want to be sure they're working or not, play a mission with the ships present.
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Thanks Dahblount, I got the latest 3.7.3 nightly to try it out, wouldn't know if it worked though seems I have invisible ship models and im not sure why. It's happened on all the nightlies I've gotten of 3.7.3

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
As a stopgap measure the texture-replace properties in FRED work just fine, if you'd like to make a single test mission.

Goober: I've noticed the medical ship reskins in FSPort MediaVPs don't work... I've always just written it off but if this feature isn't working properly that would explain it.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 05:10:48 pm by Galemp »
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Yeah the FRED texture replacement I've used before, getting this to work was more for convenience sake.
I shall use the FRED one for now.

Thanks Dahblount, I got the latest 3.7.3 nightly to try it out, wouldn't know if it worked though seems I have invisible ship models and im not sure why. It's happened on all the nightlies I've gotten of 3.7.3
fs2_open.log could help to see what is wrong.

No Warning errors pop up but here is the log.

[attachment DELETED!! by Strong Bad]

Can you update gpu drivers? They are quite old, probably from 2012.

It is possible that "Disable GLSL (shader) support" or "Don't use shaders for model rendering" in launcher can help as quick workaround.

Can you update gpu drivers? They are quite old, probably from 2012.

It is possible that "Disable GLSL (shader) support" or "Don't use shaders for model rendering" in launcher can help as quick workaround.

Unfortunately no I can't update my drivers due to HP messing with my AMD card before I bought the PC. I disabled GLSL support and the models reappeared. Shame the glow and the lights arent there but I think I prefer the better performance. Weird that this only started happening since 3.7.3 nightlies.

Now with the nightlies working the texture replacement in the table is still not working for me.     Correction they are working now in game on the lastest nightly as Dahblount described. My key mistake was that I wasn't specific enough in the table. I had the texture name eg Manticore.dds when I should have had Manticore-glow.dds.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 12:46:32 am by Boomer20 »

Could you test too (with GLSL enabled) 7 combinations of these flags:
- in Graphics:
Disable Deffered Lighting
- in Troubleshot:
Disable batched model rendering
Disable geometry shader for effects

and see if models will reappear?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Weird that this only started happening since 3.7.3 nightlies.
Not weird at all; we started using a new renderer capable of deferred lighting and soft shadows after 3.7.2.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Could you test too (with GLSL enabled) 7 combinations of these flags:
- in Graphics:
Disable Deffered Lighting
- in Troubleshot:
Disable batched model rendering
Disable geometry shader for effects

and see if models will reappear?

None of those 7 combinations worked. Looks like Disable GLSL (shader) support it is.

Not weird at all; we started using a new renderer capable of deferred lighting and soft shadows after 3.7.2.

That does in fact make a lot of sense then.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Goober: I've noticed the medical ship reskins in FSPort MediaVPs don't work... I've always just written it off but if this feature isn't working properly that would explain it.

1) don't just write it off, tell me; 2) tell me via PM or email, not in a thread that I'm not guaranteed to notice. :p

Anyway, there are two issues here.  The first is that ship class texture replacements don't work in the tech room.  The second is that the Chronos and TAC 1 reskins didn't have the correct texture names for the MediaVPs.  (The Faustus and Elysium models worked both in FRED and in-mission.)  I've committed a fix for the texture name issue to FSPort's SVN.