Author Topic: FreeSpace Models to Complete  (Read 2365 times)

Offline Zarathud

• Dinosaur
FreeSpace Models to Complete
I'm very impressed with the MODing I've been seeing on this board from time to time.  It looks as if robust FreeSpace 2 MODing has finally become a reality.  Kudos.

One thing that bothered me when I retired from the FreeSpace community was the various models I left unfinished.  Mostly, the remaining work involved turrets and docking points -- MODing which was beyond my skill with the tools available at the time.  If someone would complete the models I've created in TrueSpace, I would be willing to hand over my uncompleted work so long as the end product is made freely available to the FreeSpace community.  There may be some re-triangulation work to clear up the mess that Truespace makes of models.  However, the models ARE skinned with modifications to Volition texture maps.  If I find a taker, I'll also release a reskin of the GTD Orion that makes it Vasudan along with several of my mining vehicles (reskins that create a personnel transport, drilling ship, welding ship and support -- along with a dockable asteroid where Pastel HEX edited in a docking point the hard way) and a fighter.

The project involves 3 space installations (2 Vasudan, 1 Terran) and 1 large
transport.  There may also be a fighter model to finish.

Post here if you're interested.

------------------
Zarathud, retired FreeSpace coordinator of the Descent Chronicles
Zarathud, retired FreeSpace coordinator of the Descent Chronicles/VolitionWatch

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
good god I thought you were dead !!
nice to see you're still around.

------------------
Bobboau, bringing you products that work.............. in theory
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Zarathud

• Dinosaur
As Granny Weatherwax would say, "I'm not dead yet."  (Terry Pratchet's Discworld series -- read it and weep with laughter)

I just have to bill 2,000 hours each year.  That's 8 hours a day MINIMUM, every day with 2 weeks vacation (including holidays).  I call it Real Life - With a Vengance (TM).

Anyhow, still get some gaming in during weekends, but nothing like I could enjoy before.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Zarathud! Hey, welcome! And like Bobboau... I thought you were dead too!

(Btw, this thread wouldn't have anything to do with this, would it?  )

8 hours a day... oh my dear God.
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Zarathud

• Dinosaur
That would be it -- The Omicron Project.

Took a few minutes to upload the screenshots I had over at the DC after Loki assigned me permission to use his webspace.

There are Images and Test Renders.  A damn ugly test site was thrown up at newregime.com projects, but never completed.  Scope them out, let me know what you think.  I started to get rather good at reskinning Volition models, if I do say so myself.    

[SPOILER ALERT]
The campaign was going to be about the struggle between the Terrans and Vasudans over the appropriate use of an awesome Ancient power supply.  A group of Terrans want the device to power the Knossos under construction to Earth.  The group is led by a politician with an obsession that reuniting with the homeworld is the only hope for human survival after the 2nd Shivan Invasion.  However, the Vasudans know 2 secrets:  (1) the device won't work for a subspace portal and (2) powering up the device would be like waiving a red flag in front of the Shivans saying "Invade again, the Ancients are here!"  The device actually powers an Ancient cloaking device, which the Vasudans have stolen and installed in a modified Colossus they've been building without help from the Terrans.  Think about a Colossus with the ability to CONSTANTLY fire its beam weapons, or disappear without a trace.  That's very destablizing by itself, even if the device powering it wasn't considered by the Terrans the only way to reach Earth again.  T-V War II breaks out.

The ending monologue would have been about the secrets our allies the Vasudans might hold, and the mystery of the Ancients simply disappearing with few traces.  The end movie would show a Herc Mk. II tumbling dead in space, then hitting an invisible object that ripples after the impact -- in the shape of an Ancient ship (think the wave plugin effect from the Titanic, but in space.  Loki's a 3d animator for corporate ads).  And then the voice concludes that maybe the secrets of the Ancients are hiding under our noses, something that everyone -- even the Shivans -- is looking to find.

The underlying backstory is that the Shivans invaded with the Lucifer after detecting the use of Ancients technology in the Great War.  Then the Shivans return (with a fully mobilized fleet) to end what they feared would be the Ancients reborn.  The Shivans hoped that destroying the star would locate their unseen foe (the Ancients) in the nebula created.  It's an even darker ending than FS2 -- the Terrans and Vasudans are merely "collateral damage" in the Shivan war against the Ancients.      And Admiral Bosch knew the Vasudans were holding back about what happened to the Ancients and weren't necessarily Terran allies.  
[/END SPOILER ALERT]

------------------

[This message has been edited by Zarathud (edited 07-09-2001).]

Offline Zarathud

• Dinosaur
Oh, and did I mention the campaign would have given everyone a chance to shoot down more Vasudans?  

------------------

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp

Originally posted by Zarathud:
As Granny Weatherwax would say, "I'm not dead yet."  (Terry Pratchet's Discworld series -- read it and weep with laughter)

Indeed.  Tell Greebo hi.  
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline Black Ace

• The Traveler
Zarathud... I need you for something... email me... (in siggy)
BTW, glad to see ya around..

------------------
Staff Member, Hard Light Productions
Creator / Project Coordinator: The Perfect Storm
TPS Forums Page - Click Here
Think you've got killer vocal cords? Voice actors needed! Email me @                        [email protected]                          

These detonators were a piece of junk! I even followed the directions... - Lt. Commander Snipes - Special Operations Command
Staff Member,Hard Light Productions

Creator / Project Coordinator:The Perfect Storm

Black Ace 2.1a - "I've been beyond the rim... and back!"

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
Why don't you have a 3dap account yet?  
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline Black Ace

• The Traveler

Originally posted by Shrike:
Why don't you have a 3dap account yet?

I do, but it just forwards to my hotmail account anyways...  

------------------
Staff Member, Hard Light Productions
Creator / Project Coordinator: The Perfect Storm
TPS Forums Page - Click Here
Think you've got killer vocal cords? Voice actors needed! Email me @                        [email protected]                          

These detonators were a piece of junk! I even followed the directions... - Lt. Commander Snipes - Special Operations Command
Staff Member,Hard Light Productions

Creator / Project Coordinator:The Perfect Storm

Black Ace 2.1a - "I've been beyond the rim... and back!"

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
WEll, i have to say that's a damn good storyline you had / have there, Zarathud.

Shame I wasn't around when you were still modding.

------------------
Team Member of The Ghost and the Darkness
        [email protected]        

"Well I believe ther's someone watching over you.  They're watching every word you say. And when you die they'll take you down and take you through. You'll realise one day that the grass is always greener on the other side, the neighbours got a car that you wanna drive, and when time is running out you wanna stay alive.  There is no wrong, there is no right, and the circle only has one side...."

(c)2001 Travis

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
1- Welcome Back(I still remember of reading some of your tutorials back in descent chronicles)

2- I noticed that your ships needed some table enhancement... I can help you with that, interested??
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline Zarathud

• Dinosaur
Yes, table enhancement would be helpful.  I can't remember if I slightly tweaked "base" table entries or if I never got around to a thorough beta testing of the ships in missions.  I think a little of both.  

A few of the ships are "civilian" so they should FEEL different than the military specs.

The GTT Hunter was released at the DC (should be at VWatch or maybe HLP), but I never felt comfortable with the way it handled.  I wanted the Hunter to be a military "strike team" deployment vehicle.  Good speed, but sluggishly maneuverable (but not impossible to control).  You could start there, while I find out which was my latest .tbl build.

BTW, everything I wrote for the DC should be available over at VWatch.  If not, I'll have to kick Orange around a bit.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Zarathud (edited 07-10-2001).]

Offline Unidan

• http://unidan.stickserv.net/
I still have the hunter in my tbl file if you can't find it. Welcome back Zarathud, I loved your work.

------------------
Website manager and beta tester of the GTVA VS. EMPIRE campaign.
GTVA VS. EMPIRE homepage

My E-Mail=   [email protected]  

-------------------------
If Indiana Jones and Han Solo were in a fight... who would win?

If you figure out what this numbermeans you win a prize :D
26724 2337
I'll think of a siggie later..

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along

Originally posted by Zarathud:
Yes, table enhancement would be helpful.  I can't remember if I slightly tweaked "base" table entries or if I never got around to a thorough beta testing of the ships in missions.  I think a little of both.  

A few of the ships are "civilian" so they should FEEL different than the military specs.

The GTT Hunter was released at the DC (should be at VWatch or maybe HLP), but I never felt comfortable with the way it handled.  I wanted the Hunter to be a military "strike team" deployment vehicle.  Good speed, but sluggishly maneuverable (but not impossible to control).  You could start there, while I find out which was my latest .tbl build.

BTW, everything I wrote for the DC should be available over at VWatch.  If not, I'll have to kick Orange around a bit.

Ok, I'll give it a try  

Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.