Author Topic: GTD Raynor II or just HTL?  (Read 3716 times)

GTD Raynor II or just HTL?
As I promised in another thread, here is the beginning of my version of the GTD Raynor. I Always liked this design and wanted to give it some updated details.

Without much fanfare:

https://p3d.in/DhxrA

Comment away folks! :)

All the best,
Jadehawk
Got Shivans? The SOC Ezechiel is the schnitzel! Don't leave base without it.

Re: GTD Raynor II or just HTL?
Been waiting to see this one since your response earlier today!

It already looks sturdier and stronger, especially in the middle. While I don't mind (unprotected/thin) umbilicals, with the widespread use of slashing beams it tends to make me feel uncomfortable, a seemingly very visible weak spot to abuse by ship captains. The improvement to the umbilical/central area already on its own is a very welcome addition.
The increase in length that you mentioned earlier looks good to my eyes. I'm sure more experienced/more trained eyes can give you a lot more pointers on detailing though.
I definitely applaud your efforts with the Raynor - and of course in general. Always good to see more new/upgraded ships being made after all. Keep up the good work!
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
One technical comment is that in the p3d the booleans of the thrusters to the rear hull panel is causing some lighting glitches.
It may be preferable to simply not boolean the thruster cones and leave them as separate objects simply intersecting that rear panel (would save polies too).
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Hi Droid,
Thanks for the comment! Yes, I just detailed the existing ones and could extract them to make them separate. Will do that next!

All the best,
Jadehawk

Ok, another update :)

Extracted the engines and they are now separate solids and added more detail. Comments?

https://p3d.in/OJnEi

All the best,
Jadehawk

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Great work, but I'm not so fond of the bridge tower. Specifically, it expands aft in a really strange way. It think it'd be better if it was more straight.

Thanks for the reply :) I'll look into that and see what I can do.

All the best,
Jadehawk

Looks awesome to me. How does it compare in size to our familiar friends, like the Orion and Hecate, etc? Looking forward to seeing this thing skinned.

Some 50% longer than an Orion or Hecate(3200m for the Raynor vs 2030m for the Orion and ~2200m for the Hecate), but the Orion and Hecate are taller.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

in this variant, I deleted all the separated hull stuff in the middle and made it one solid hull.

I kinda like it now. :)

https://p3d.in/dhw9n

In all honesty this is quickly turning into a stretched version of Aesaar's model.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Indeed. Once you get rid of the split hull and spars it quickly approaches Aesaar's Erebus.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
It's still got the narrow prow and more canted fin-things.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Try looking into bringing the split hull back. It's an important part of Raynor's ship design. The new version seems like it lost a lot of detail around the midsection, as well.

Thanks for the replies fellas. :)
Yes I had the notion it would be like that other ship once I did it. I just wanted to to see what it would look like and yes it's not even greebled out in that area worth anything. I was frustrated with my UV mapping and took a break from that to do this just to get that idea out of my head! :)

No worries, still have the last updated version before this one.

Personally I'm all about variants and versions of ship designs. If I have to choose, though, I prefer the more Raynor inspired midsection. Still, experiments with making that midsection look even stronger could be good to see. On the other hand, further (significant) alterations might distract too much and delay from getting the ship completed.
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell