Author Topic: Standalone (bare-bones) installation  (Read 2201 times)

Standalone (bare-bones) installation
I'm currently playing through FreeSpace 1 and 2 through FS2 Open. I used to Auto Installer to get everything working. Later on, I intend to create a mod, which will eventually turn into a standalone (total conversion) game. However, when browsing the folder, it appears that, with all the mods and FreeSpace 2 from GOG, it's a bit of a mess IMO, with files spread throughout the main and sub-folders. Is it possible to have a bare-bones installation with only the FS2_Open executables and other files necessary to "run" a completely empty engine (so without any assets from mods or FS2), and if so, what files are needed?

I typically use a separate folder for Unreal and Unity projects so they are nicely sorted together, and this would also help me with FS2 Open. Incidentally, inside this bare-bones folder, can I also have the FS2 assets and other mods with just the files necessary to run them (for inspiration or examples), so I can easily remove them later on? Can I safely assume that only the VPs and the "data" folders are truly needed to run FS2?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Standalone (bare-bones) installation
To the best of my knowledge, no completely blank mod project exists. The closest is probably MattTheGeek's Unofficial Star Citizen Dogfight module.

That package is probably as close to a minimum runnable project as it gets, and can serve as a guide on how to make your own mod. Do keep in mind however that you need to replace the included engine builds with 3.7.4 or nightly ones. Also, I strongly recommend keeping a link to the wiki's Modding portal open, as it is invaluable documentation. Other than that, if you run into issues or have questions not covered by the wiki, feel free to join us at the #scp or #freespace IRC channels on esper.net, or post in this forum. Happy modding!
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

So, how are total conversions such as Wing Command Saga and Diaspora set up? I imagine they are created like any mod, alongside FreeSpace 2, but how are they then separated so they don't rely on FS2 content; or use a mod.ini for that matter? At this point, this is perhaps a bit too far over my head as I'm just starting out with FS2 Open, but it's information that I need so I can plan ahead.

EDIT: Sorry, I overlooked some things. I just discovered that Diaspora actually uses wxLauncher and treats the main game as a "mod". For now, I think it's pretty clear to me how I could attempt to make my total conversion.

However, one more question: if I want to completely override FS2 content (so FS2 Open will not search for it, and thus make it unnecessary to have it), am I right to assume that I can use the standard table files (instead of modular tables) to override all the original content, and use my own art for ships, interface, etc? Or is there more involved.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 12:02:17 pm by stargatefreak92 »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Generally speaking, you start off by building the game as a mod, then start overriding files from retail until it is ready to be standalone. The biggest hurdle in this regard is probably the interface art; FS2's interface consists of some 1000+ small fiddly bitmaps, all alike. Generating them, even with tool assistance, takes some time.

As for getting started, there's a pretty good guide here.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Thanks! This should get me started.

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
Personally, while I'm warming up to the auto-installer, for a time I really did want a barebones version. I didn't understand the advantages of the Auto-installer, but frankly I'd vote up a barebones version, if the option is practical.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Personally, while I'm warming up to the auto-installer, for a time I really did want a barebones version. I didn't understand the advantages of the Auto-installer, but frankly I'd vote up a barebones version, if the option is practical.
Er, why? It's not like end-users would ever want to play a contentless mod; it would just be helpful as a starting point for modders who might want to make a total conversion. It's as completely unrelated a use-case to the FSO Installer as I can think of.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
Er, why? It's not like end-users would ever want to play a contentless mod; it would just be helpful as a starting point for modders who might want to make a total conversion. It's as completely unrelated a use-case to the FSO Installer as I can think of.

Um, I'm sorry did I misunderstand? I thought that we were talking about a standalone for the whole FSO/SCP/MediaVP's, as opposed to the new custom installer that has all the optional community mods and stuff.

When I switched computers and had to reinstall, I was confused and a little frustrated by the installer. I already had my favorite community mod folders - I wondered why I couldn't just download the core stuff.

Am I just totally confused? I mean, of course I am, but you get the idea. :P

Actually, I wanted to know if it was possible to set up a completely empty installation (so with no mods and no FS2 content) to create a total conversion, separate from the "main" installation with a fully running FS2 Open. This so that that there is absolutely no FS2 content present when I'm working on a TC, and my working folder is as clean as possible.

Right now, I've just copied the FS2 Open executables to another folder, together with just the retail VPs and the "data2" and "data3" folders so that FS2 runs, and I've learned that creating .tbl files instead of modular .tbm files will override the retail table entirely and "remove" that content from the game when it starts.