Author Topic: Dockpoints Help (Aelous & Argo)  (Read 1757 times)

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Dockpoints Help (Aelous & Argo)
Hey Everyone,

I keep having a problem with new dockpoints added to the Aelous and Argo for two missions. I added these docking points so the NTT Gral towing the NTC Alexandria would work.

When they are docked there is no problem, everything behaves fine. However in one mission I want the two to dock and then the problem starts - the Gral seems to circle the Alexandria seemingly to get close enough to initiate docking until finally ignoring the collision detection and moving through the Alexandira to the final docking position.

Now I am pretty sure that I overlooked something basic, so a new set of eyes would be very helpful...

Link:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqsFAmZ9eyuXiUJUNUNHcDN3Q40y

Please help me fix this.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Re: Dockpoints Help (Aelous & Argo)
The thing that looks a bit off to me is that the docking path (I'm assuming GralDock is used) is very short; the first point (the outermost one) isn't even outside the model's radius. I'd try moving that point much further away and making its radius bigger. Say, x position of about -300 (instead of -81) and a radius of 150 (instead of 57).

The OrestesDock path also has a weird radius for the first point, and the dock01 path has the same shortness problem as GralDock.

I don't know for sure if any of those are actually a problem, but what little I know from the docking code has led me to do paths a bit differently.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
The thing that looks a bit off to me is that the docking path (I'm assuming GralDock is used) is very short; the first point (the outermost one) isn't even outside the model's radius. I'd try moving that point much further away and making its radius bigger. Say, x position of about -300 (instead of -81) and a radius of 150 (instead of 57).

I increased the radii on the Alexandria's $Path15 like you said (also lengthend and increased the radius on the $Path10, associated with AlexandriaDock on the Gral), this only moves the point around which the Gral circles away from the Alexandria ...

Better but not fixed.

The OrestesDock path also has a weird radius for the first point, and the dock01 path has the same shortness problem as GralDock.

OrestesDock and its associated path are irrelevant - they are there because they are in MVP version of the Aelous.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
This is 100% a path problem, and probably relatively easy to solve, Make sure that the path has four points, with a sufficiently large outermost point at a sufficient distance (I'm talking 500m radius at about a kilometre away from the dockpoint). Your remaining points should follow a more or less straight line with steadily decreasing radii, finishing a few metres above the dock. A rough idea would be something like 500m@1km, [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]. Don't make the final point of the dock path the same as the coords of the dockpoint - this will confuse FSO - the ship will connect on its own if it's within a few dozen metres. Look at how the Orestes dock is set up as a good example.

Also, while it shouldn't matter if your first path point is far enough away (again, on a cruiser sized ship you should be looking out around a kilometre from the dock point, not the centre of the model), try to make sure the transport isn't arriving 180 degrees around from the dock. It doesn't have to line up perfectly, just not on exactly the wrong side.

If that doesn't help/is already how it's set up, I'll take a look this evening and try to figure it out.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Ah, I didn't quite realise the way you wanted them to approach. It was a path problem. Try this model. Tested it with the original Grall model, but it shouldn't matter. It's fairly effective, but if you have issues, the basic path just needs tweaking, you can do that yourself.

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp