Author Topic: How can I convert POF model files to be usable with blender?  (Read 7645 times)

Offline emark4

How can I convert POF model files to be usable with blender?
I want to edit a ship model from blue planet using blender but I cannot find a working link to get the downloads to have pof's work with blender. Does anyone know a good way to get  POFs to work with blender (and to convert them back to POFs again)?

Re: How can I convert POF model files to be usable with blender?
Use pcs2 to convert it to dae format to import it to blender. If i recall you will have to reassign textures manually but the model will be fully imported.

Offline emark4

Use pcs2 to convert it to dae format to import it to blender. If i recall you will have to reassign textures manually but the model will be fully imported.

Okay, dae file, got it.

Sorry for the blender noob question but , what is the blender function do i use to add those cockpit lines (i dont know what they are called) to the windows of a ship, like an x-wing or a b-wing from star wars? I'm new to blender.

Okay, dae file, got it.

Sorry for the blender noob question but , what is the blender function do i use to add those cockpit lines (i dont know what they are called) to the windows of a ship, like an x-wing or a b-wing from star wars? I'm new to blender.

You mean like panel lines that go all around the ship?  Unless it's a really deep cut, leave that to the textures.
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile

Okay, dae file, got it.

You mean like panel lines that go all around the ship?  Unless it's a really deep cut, leave that to the textures.
I think he's talking about metal reinforcements of cockpit glass.

This is actually quite complex job. You cau use Knife [shortcut K] and cut the cockpit glass model in the places where you want individual ribs of the reinforcement.. Now you need to select the lines you created and use Bevel [Shift + B]. Set the thickness you want. Now you just need to make UV for your lines, assign it to different material, and paint a metal on them. Alternatively you can import cockpit texture [tercoc01 in MediaVPs 2014], and apply your ribs to parts of this texture,
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Okay, dae file, got it.

This is actually quite complex job. You cau use Knife [shortcut K] and cut the cockpit glass model in the places where you want individual ribs of the reinforcement.. Now you need to select the lines you created and use Bevel [Shift + B]. Set the thickness you want. Now you just need to make UV for your lines, assign it to different material, and paint a metal on them. Alternatively you can import cockpit texture [tercoc01 in MediaVPs 2014], and apply your ribs to parts of this texture,

Ahhh the cockpit frame.  One thing I would mention is first create a clone of the glass.  Then cut that clone.  When you're done creating the frame, delete the glass parts from that clone.  This helps cut down on polygons and more importantly helps prevent ugly poly issues.
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline emark4

I played around with blender with one of the .pof files (converted it into a .dae) . But when converting back from .dae to pof with PCS 2 with the edited model i dont see anything at all in perspective projection but I see the model in orthographic projection. Whats worse is that the model in game dosent show. Im not sure what am i doing wrong.

Offline emark4

Okay, dae file, got it.

Ahhh the cockpit frame.  One thing I would mention is first create a clone of the glass.  Then cut that clone.  When you're done creating the frame, delete the glass parts from that clone.  This helps cut down on polygons and more importantly helps prevent ugly poly issues.

Did something weird by combining the cockpit of the blue planet uhlan to the izrali ship of the same mod. I have imported it back from dae to pof but the model dosent show in game.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile

I played around with blender with one of the .pof files (converted it into a .dae) . But when converting back from .dae to pof with PCS 2 with the edited model i dont see anything at all in perspective projection but I see the model in orthographic projection. Whats worse is that the model in game dosent show. Im not sure what am i doing wrong.
Numpad 5 in Blender is switching projection mode. You have the same option in PCS2 in top tools bar.

Also to convert your model back, you have to assign textures to materials. The best way to keep everything working is keeping textures in the same folder as model. Select one face of your model, now press Shift + G and select Material. Now you have selected all faces which use one, unique texture. Go to UV edition mode, press Image -> Open Image and select matching texture. Go the same way with all textures your model uses.

Note that you have to do the same thing for all levels of details and debris chunks too [if existing]. Go ahead and google how to use materials in Blender.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline emark4

Numpad 5 in Blender is switching projection mode. You have the same option in PCS2 in top tools bar.

Also to convert your model back, you have to assign textures to materials. The best way to keep everything working is keeping textures in the same folder as model. Select one face of your model, now press Shift + G and select Material. Now you have selected all faces which use one, unique texture. Go to UV edition mode, press Image -> Open Image and select matching texture. Go the same way with all textures your model uses.

Note that you have to do the same thing for all levels of details and debris chunks too [if existing]. Go ahead and google how to use materials in Blender.

Would I need to scale the model in blender to be bigger? I noticed that when importing into dae the model became very small.

Also, in blender,  the textures seemed to be already assigned.

Should note that Im combining two ship pieces. I putting the Blue planet uhlan's cockpit nose to the Izrali ship's body, while replacing the cockpit with said uhlan cockpit.

But in game, ONLY the weapon is showing. The same happened when I imported the Uhlan from pof to dae, & back again. With similar results.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 09:15:38 am by emark4 »

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
No, .dae will preserve your custom scaling.

Maybe it's just problem of naming of models on your hiererchy? LODs must be named "detail0", "detail1" etc. Debris must be named "debris". If any mesh is child of other model, like cockpit may be children of detail0, name doesn't matter.

Also check if you marked "Apply modifiers" and "Include UV textures" when you export your model back to .dae.

Offline emark4

Also check if you marked "Apply modifiers" and "Include UV textures" when you export your model back to .dae.

Found the options, but i still got the same result. The model just shows the weapons but not the ship.

Need some pictures about what Im doing?

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Send me your .blend. I will see what's wrong.

Offline emark4

Send me your .blend. I will see what's wrong.

I will send later in the day since im typing this on my phone.

Hope you still got blue planet still installed. The assets Im using relies on that mod (the Izrali & the Uhlan ships)

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I do. Go ahead.

Offline emark4

I do. Go ahead.

Here it is . Its basically the UEF Izrali (Or banshee according to some of the files) but with the Uhlan cockpit attached. Thanks for taking a look at it for me.

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Okay... The model is actually appearing in PCS2 after export. It's just very small [0.33m]. You apparently had to rescale it somehow during conversion process. In Object Mode, select your detail0 and find Scale option on your right bar:

Set all three values to 1. All was set to 0.010 in your file, so Blender is applying different scaling value when you try to export it back to PCS2. Is you want to use it to rescale it, type your scaling factor than use Shift + A than Rotation and Scale.

Also note that your model have some holes. Apparently you removed too much of the original mesh to fit Uhlan cockpit to it. You may need to redo this. Use the Knife tool to make proper space for your cockpit [K key].

Offline emark4

Okay... The model is actually appearing in PCS2 after export. It's just very small [0.33m]. You apparently had to rescale it somehow during conversion process. In Object Mode, select your detail0 and find Scale option on your right bar:

Set all three values to 1. All was set to 0.010 in your file, so Blender is applying different scaling value when you try to export it back to PCS2. Is you want to use it to rescale it, type your scaling factor than use Shift + A than Rotation and Scale.

Also note that your model have some holes. Apparently you removed too much of the original mesh to fit Uhlan cockpit to it. You may need to redo this. Use the Knife tool to make proper space for your cockpit [K key].

Ohhh, so it is a scaling problem on my part. Whoops.

By any chance, have you tested the model in game yourself ?(ie swapped the UEF_Izrali POF file with the newbanshee.pof file on the bp-ship table)

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Nope. With hellish amount of subobjects, assigning textures to all of them is lots of effort... But it will work. I converted tons of models so I know it will. There would be just lots of geometry errors.

Offline emark4

Nope. With hellish amount of subobjects, assigning textures to all of them is lots of effort... But it will work. I converted tons of models so I know it will. There would be just lots of geometry errors.

Okay, i will test when i have time. Will let you know if anything. Thanks.