Author Topic: How can I convert POF model files to be usable with blender?  (Read 7654 times)

Offline emark4

Re: How can I convert POF model files to be usable with blender?
Okay... The model is actually appearing in PCS2 after export. It's just very small [0.33m]. You apparently had to rescale it somehow during conversion process. In Object Mode, select your detail0 and find Scale option on your right bar:

Set all three values to 1. All was set to 0.010 in your file, so Blender is applying different scaling value when you try to export it back to PCS2. Is you want to use it to rescale it, type your scaling factor than use Shift + A than Rotation and Scale.

Also note that your model have some holes. Apparently you removed too much of the original mesh to fit Uhlan cockpit to it. You may need to redo this. Use the Knife tool to make proper space for your cockpit [K key].

Okay, I scaled the model (including the subsystem, weapins, and the supplemental stuff) as instructed. Sadly the model still dosent show but has the weapons show. (See attached pics)

I noticed on the PCS2 I tried to type the textures from both the Izrali & the Uhlan. However, none of em are higlighting their respective sections. Maybe i am doing the "reassigning textures thing wrong"? (Shrugs)

Would like to know what you think I should do.

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 05:07:01 pm by emark4 »

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Do you even see the textures in Blender?
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline emark4

No, not really, its still grey. I think I am missing sonething.
Here is what shows on blender on my end.

Offline emark4

Oh wait, I forgot about the uv mapping thing you mentioned in a previous post. I also followed the directions for that and textures are showing now on blender. My bad.

But what about assigning textures to PCS2?

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Try to assign textures to all subobjects, like I mentioned before. They all already have assigned materials. Keep in mind that material in Blender is just a "slot" for texture. If you won't assign actual texture to it, it will appear blank.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline emark4

Try to assign textures to all subobjects, like I mentioned before. They all already have assigned materials. Keep in mind that material in Blender is just a "slot" for texture. If you won't assign actual texture to it, it will appear blank.

Im in the process of assigning the textures in blender. However, what about the textures function in psc2? I tested the model out with only texturing the uhlan cockpit part only.

However the uhlan cockpit texture didnt show in game. I think it may be something i didnt do in psc2 before saving the dae file to pof.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile

Shift+G -> Material. Now you have all faces using Uhlan texture selected.
Properties -> Materials -> Make new material -> Name it whatever you want -> Assign

One material per one texture. PCS will read all materials and if multiple materials use the same texture, it will merge those to single one. You set all materials in Blender. PCS2 is supposed to only read them.

Offline emark4

Shift+G -> Material. Now you have all faces using Uhlan texture selected.
Properties -> Materials -> Make new material -> Name it whatever you want -> Assign

One material per one texture. PCS will read all materials and if multiple materials use the same texture, it will merge those to single one. You set all materials in Blender. PCS2 is supposed to only read them.

I thought the materials are already assigned.

Still, PSC2 still isnt reading the textures. Hmmm...

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
They are. But If you import part of other model and you merging it with another, you may need to adjust them.

Okay. Let's back to start. Do you have every small subobject with texture assigned? Do you have all textures in the same folder as blend file?

Offline emark4

They are. But If you import part of other model and you merging it with another, you may need to adjust them.

Okay. Let's back to start. Do you have every small subobject with texture assigned? Do you have all textures in the same folder as blend file?

Yes, the subobject that should have a material have been uv mapped with their original .dds files. I also just copied said .dds texture files to my blue planet models folder.

Use pcs2 to convert it to dae format to import it to blender. If i recall you will have to reassign textures manually but the model will be fully imported.

How do you go about reassigning the textures manually? Where can I find/extract the texture files in the vp to use in blender?

Also, my pcs2 does not show textures... how do I fix this? (see below)

« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 12:39:34 am by BravoTango »

To find the textures in the vp open the original pof and find the listed textures in the maps folder of the vp (or another vp sometimes mods store models in one vp and textures in one or two separate vp because of size limit).

To assign them it's been a while since i launched blender but i think when you select a material there's a texture tab where you can open an image file for the corresponding tex.

For pcs2 not showing textures if they're in the same folder as your model then either it's a naming problem or something's missing during dae export.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Use pcs2 to convert it to dae format to import it to blender. If i recall you will have to reassign textures manually but the model will be fully imported.

How do you go about reassigning the textures manually? Where can I find/extract the texture files in the vp to use in blender?
You can reassign materials manually. I often do it because Blender used to have problems with exporting the same material applied to multiple submodels. I often use different materials for each subobject even if they use the same texture. PCS2 will merge them anyway during importing of my dae. As for place to store your textures, wherever you want. Just not main game directory.

Also, my pcs2 does not show textures... how do I fix this? (see below)
Open PCS2. Now go to Options -> Preferences -> Browse and select your modfolder. Or whatever folder you have your textures in. If you select modfolder, PCS2 will parse both FS folder hierarchy and vp files.

Offline emark4

Question, should I send you the modified newbanshee.blend file again? I uvtextured the models but I still have no luck at all.

I will just add don't forget to add a slash at the end of the path you enter in pcs2.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile

Question, should I send you the modified newbanshee.blend file again? I uvtextured the models but I still have no luck at all.
Sure. Go ahead.

Offline emark4

Sure. Go ahead.

Okay, Thank you.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I oficially have no bloody clue what do you do wrong. Especially if everythins is working correctly.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/3ce2h0pr6f3849j/newbanshee.dae
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 02:30:15 pm by Nyctaeus »

Offline emark4

I oficially have no bloody cue what do you do wrong. Especially if everythins is working correctly.

I was looking one of your previous posts on the settings for exporting to dae. One moment. I think I know what I did wrong.

Offline emark4

I oficially have no bloody clue what do you do wrong. Especially if everythins is working correctly.

Yup, I forgot to checkmark the apply modifiers and uv textures setting when importing to dae. Now the ship model is showing in game as intended.

Now I need to figure out how to get the cockpit view to be fixed when putting the "show ship" setting on the table, as it currently looks horrible right now. Will definitely need to fix that on blender. Probably do the thing over again.

But that's another forum help post for another day. Thank you so much for the help. :)