NATION: Flying Ferraris (ITALY)
10 (16.4%)
NATION: USSSSSSSSR (RUSSIA)
8 (13.1%)
NATION: Zero to Hero (JAPAN)
2 (3.3%)
NATION: Mirage de Baguette (FRANCE)
6 (9.8%)
GAMEPLAY: Let's play format (traditional)
9 (14.8%)
GAMEPLAY: Collaborative format (details TBD)
11 (18%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Voting closed: April 25, 2019, 04:30:47 pm

Author Topic: Enioch's naval shenanigans - RTW as Germany - [Image Heavy!]  (Read 136571 times)

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer
Re: Enioch's naval shenanigans - RTW as Germany - [Image Heavy!]
TWO WORDS.

Whoops, just realised that I used the same image twice. Will fix tomorrow morning, I need to go to bed.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 05:55:10 pm by Enioch »
'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)

Offline Enioch

Right, fixed. Unapologetic double post, shut up, I do what I want in my own thread. Also, I'm tired from negotiating, do you know how expensive Tennant is to hire?

Next update: Ruling the waves in the Mortal Engines universe, with Shivans from the depths.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 12:32:47 pm by Enioch »

Woah... not again such a long commercial break ;) Really want to see how they finally managed to sink the PEF (in some glorious 2008 CGI sequences, no less).
Here goes scripting and copy paste coding
Freespace RTS Mod
Checkpoint/Shipsaveload script

Offline Enioch

SINKING THE PRINZ: THE BATTLE OF CORNWALL (Part 3)

Fade in from black after advertisement break. HMS Caesar and HMS Hood are sailing towards a distant pillar of smoke, their mighty main batteries already turning to engage the Prinz Eitel Friedrich.

Quote from: NARRATOR
The Prinz Eitel Friedrich has brutally smashed the British patrols and is sailing straight for the defenseless merchant shipping all across the western shores of Britain. But the sacrifice of Captain Jeremiah McNair's cruiser patrol force has bought just enough time for the British response to arrive. Two British Dreadnoughts have been detached to fight the intruder and they are closing in fast.

Cut to ADMIRAL MOUNTJOY.

Quote from: MOUNTJOY
HMS Caesar was a troubled ship. She was an Europa-class Superdreadnought, designed and built during the years of Mosley's folly, and she was seen as something of a dishonourable relic, to be honest. On paper, she was a magnificent ship, that outgunned the Gneisenau even though she was more than ten thousand tons lighter. But the Europas, in general, had not given a good accounting of themselves against the German battle-line in clashes such as Jutland. They were much more thinly armored than the German 'Unsinkables' and the officer corps under Mosley was...less than competent.

Cut to ARCHIVE FOOTAGE of a badly hurt British Dreadnought entering Portsmuth; the camera lingers on the massive shell craters dotting her armour and her mangled decks. The crew, wounded and despondent, are lining the gunwhales.

Quote from: MOUNTJOY (voiceover)
But this tine around, the Caesar was commanded by a skilled officer: Commander Daniel Bolton, a distinguished veteran, protégé of Admiral Hubert Brant and survivor of the Mosley purges. It was time to wipe the stain off her honour.

Cut to DANIEL BOLTON on the bridge of the HMS Caesar, played by KENNETH BRANNAGH. The camera lingers on his determined expression.

The Hood, on the other hand, is an unburdened lesser child of an impoverished Albion. Although she was almost three years younger than the Caesar, she had both fewer and smaller rifles: only ten 14-inchers. And although her belt armor was thicker than that of her older sister, it was still nowhere near as thick as that of the German 'Unsinkable' battleships of her time. It was, however, considerably thicker than that of the Prinz, and Bolton was ready to use any and all advantages he could, against the German Kreuzer.

Cut to the Prinz; the two British ships are now clearly visible and the German behemoth begins a hard starboard turn. There are distant flashes of light on the silhouettes of the Brits and the guns of the Prinz boom in response.

Von Holstein is not taken completely by surprise, but his firing directors are slow to respond; the British ships fire first and Bolton has drilled his crew well. Just as the 16-inch rifles of the Prinz fire their first ranging salvos, the British shells arrive. The Hood straddles her target with her first salvo; the Caesar overshoots by less than 200 yards.

Cut to Dr WERNER RAHN.

Quote from: Dr WERNER RAHN
Zee Prinz is not puilt for zis fight, not hakainst pattleschips, ja? Put Von Holstein zinks pack ven German Schlachtkreuser fought Pritisch Dreadnoughts und von, und he looks at his pig guns und he forgets zat he is in ein Grosser Kreuzer, verstehen Sie? Not ein 'Unzinkable'. It is ein eazy mistake to make. Arh ! Und zo, he sdays und fights, ven he schould haffe turned, made smoke und run pack to zee other tvo Gneisenaus.

The British ships fire again; this time their shots find their mark. One shell from the Hood strikes the main superstructure of the Prinz and holes her funnel, cutting the updrafts. Another shot buries itself in a secondary turret and kills the entire crew. And a third and final shot from the Caesar penetrates the 'Bruno' turret of the Prinz and blows it sky-high in a pillar of flame. A flash fire - thankfully one that does not reach the magazines, but one that is nonetheless lethal.

The German capital ship shudders and slows, her firepower diminished by a third. Von Holstein himself is blinded by the blast, close to the bridge as it was, and overall casualties are high; her damage control crews flood the forward magazines, adding to the sleek vessel's sluggishness. The Prinz is stunned under the unexpected blow; and they are not given the chance to recover. Less than thirty seconds later, the next salvoes arrive.

Over the next five minutes, the Prinz is hit more than twenty times. Her 'Cäsar' turret is blown off its bearings. Internal secondary explosions knock out four boilers and douse the engineering crews with burning oil and water. Her main fire control director is hit twice and simply ceases to exist. Two shells penetrate her forward plating and torpedo belt, and cause uncontrollable flooding. Fires rage on her decks. And yet, her 'Anton' turret keeps returning fire, again, and again, and again, until, finally, a shell from the Caesar fuzes the bearings solid.

Cut to the radio room of the PRINZ EITEL FRIEDRICH

She has one thing left: somehow, impossibly so, her radio aerials have survived the dreadful beating she has suffered and she has enough power to call for help. Von Holstein, bleeding and battered on the conning tower, orders an SOS to be sent. Fifty miles to the south-west, the Gneisenau and the Friedrich Carl pick up the desperate signal and immediately make revolutions for thirty-two knots, pushing against the sunset, rushing to the aid of their sister.

Cut to ADMIRAL MOUNTJOY.

Quote from: MOUNTJOY
Of course, Bolton was aware that German capital ships operated in larger flotillas - that had been the case since the days of Hipper's raids. He had intercepted the message from the Prinz and he realised quickly that he had very little time until reinforcements arrived. And so, he concentrated all his fire onto the Prinz, aiming to sink her quickly, and then deal with her would-be rescuers. There was only one problem with that, of course.

Cut to DR SPALDING, gesturing over the technical plans of the Prinz

Quote from: SPALDING
The bloody thing just would not sink. Her superstructure was a mass of slag - Von Holstein died in this conflagration; three out of four crewmembers were effective casualties; her guns were silent; but her underwater compartmentalisation meant that, even if her belt was penetrated, flooding would not immediately doom her. In this, the Prinz saved her honour, and this places her among the legends of modern naval history.

Cut to PROFESSOR HODDER, reading from a thick volume; next to him, the journal of the Prinz lies open to the last entries, the paper still stained by fire.

Quote from: HODDER
There was a Greek wrestler once, named Arrhichion, who fought in the Olympic games. His opponent managed to place him in a stranglehold and he died, refusing to submit until the end. In his death throes, he struck a blow that broke his opponent's foot; and his opponent yielded in pain. Arrhichion died, but was declared the winner posthumously and remained, until the end of the ancient Olympics, 'the most famous of wrestlers'.

The camera pans to the book and a sculpture of two wrestlers....

...then back to HODDER, who looks up, smiling, his eyes sad.

Quote from: HODDER
So it was with the Prinz. The ship and her crew knew they would not win the fight; and yet, they fought to the bitter end, for that extra second, that one more heartbeat, that fraction of a minute that might bring their salvation closer. As long as they lived - as long as the Prinz lived, the enemy was pinned there with them.

Quote from: MOUNTJOY (as CGI FOOTAGE OF THE PRINZ BURNING plays)
Bolton realises that this is taking too much time. He has no idea what is coming; he has lost his radar cruisers; light is fading fast; his lookouts report smoke approaching from the south-west. The stubborn refusal of the Prinz to die, has pinned his ships in the same spot for almost forty-five minutes, an eternity in modern naval combat. Unless he moves, now, the approaching enemy will know exactly where to find him and, if there is an Unsinkable out there, his chances of survival in a night-time engagement - the close-range brawls that the German monoliths excel in - would be minimal.

And so, Bolton does the only thing that he can: he retreats - from a sinking enemy. His ships essentially untouched, he leaves the field, incapable of scoring that final decisive blow that he was so desperate to achieve. When the Gneisenau and the Carl Friedrich arrive at the scene, they find the Prinz Eitel Friedrich a burning, drifting hulk, her enemies having disappeared into the twilight gloom.

The crew of the Prinz has managed to stop the flooding, but the ship is completely impossible to navigate. Dead and wounded litter her decks (Von Holstein amongst them) and her upperworks are still burning. It is a little slice of Hell for the sailors and commanders of the Gneisenau and the Carl, as they face the hardest choices they will ever have to make: isolated in enemy waters, their comrades dead or dying, and the spectre of the enemy lurking in the darkness, they are called upon to save the Prinz and her crew at horrifying risk to their own lives, or consign their comrades to their fate and use the cover of night to escape the British patrols to safety.

It's going to be a very long night.

TO BE CONCLUDED...

Offline Enioch

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE

Bolton, after this battle:

But the Prinz didn't.

Offline Darius

Identity switch for the Hood was unexpected, well done!  :D

The bbc documentary format is an inspired choice, please never let this die.

Offline crizza

As a german, reading Dr Rahn is a pain, otherwise, great work as always :D

Offline Enioch

Thanks both!

Dr. Rahn is the token quirky foreigner that you always find in late 20th century military documentaries. You know the one I'm talking about: the one speaking in an outrageous accent (or in his own language, only to be dubbed over by a voice actor with an outrageous accent) and speaking about an obscure part of the overall topic. Particularly common in American documentaries about the war in the Pacific with Japanese veterans  :rolleyes:

I considered setting this up as a History Channel documentary, but I'd somehow have to implicate aliens in the sinking (or, perhaps, the building) of the Prinz.

Offline Enioch

Drach is tackling the Voyage of the Damned

Offline Enioch

Announcement

There will be a poll up SOONTM.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
ohhh, excitement
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Enioch

Right, so here's the deal.

I will, of course, be buying RTW 2 on day 1, doing some testing to figure out the new gameplay and embarking on a new campaign shortly after that.

The questions that I'd like to submit to the HLP naval enthusiasts are the following:

1. Is there still an interest in this sort of thing? I can't help but notice that feedback has petered off a bit, but I'm not sure whether this is due to my own lack of regular updates or reduced audience interest.

2. Would you fine people be interested in a collaborative game, where the audience would have a say in ship designs? Roleplay would be very much encouraged: you would play industrialists and shipwrights, submitting your designs to the Admiralty, and/or members of Staff judging the submitted designs.

3. Which nation? We would be doing a full run, from the beginning of the game to the 1950-60s

Please cast your votes in the upcoming poll and speak your minds

Offline Enioch

RULES:

You have THREE votes per person. YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO CHANGE YOUR VOTES AFTER CASTING THEM, BE VERY CAREFUL BEFORE YOU CLICK THAT SUBMIT BUTTON.

I have made all nations bar Germany available, I'd like ti be free of Willy for a bit.

You may cast two votes in the "NATION" category and one vote in the "GAMEPLAY" category. I cannot prevent you from gaming the system and dropping all votes in NATION, but I'd rather you didn't.

I am looking for 20+ participations (60 votes) to commit to a new thread.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
1. Is there still an interest in this sort of thing? I can't help but notice that feedback has petered off a bit, but I'm not sure whether this is due to my own lack of regular updates or reduced audience interest.
I absolutely still read any and all new posts. But HLP as a whole has slowed down massively. And after releasing episode 2 I've not done all that much posting myself.

2. Would you fine people be interested in a collaborative game, where the audience would have a say in ship designs? Roleplay would be very much encouraged: you would play industrialists and shipwrights, submitting your designs to the Admiralty, and/or members of Staff judging the submitted designs.
Would love reading this, probably wouldn't participate myself that much.

I am looking for 20+ participations (60 votes) to commit to a new thread.
Might be asking a bit too much of current undead hlp
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Enioch

Well, if I'm going to be taking time to write this, I'll need some sweet divine nectar feedback.  :doubt: It's difficult to keep yourself motivated if you get no responses.

Worst case scenario, I'll claim this was all an April Fool's joke. :drevil: :lol:

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I am very definitely interested in doing a collaborative thing.

1. Totally interested in reading your take on the naval history of whatever country you choose in the end. If there was some kind of "thank you" button for posts I would have used that, but writing a reponse after each of your posts without any content beyond "thank you, I enjoyed reading it" seems dumb.

2. Not really, as it requires high activity and timely responses to not stall your gameplay.

3./20 participations
Might be asking a bit too much of current undead hlp
That, most likely - unless you can somehow motivate the silent majority.
Here goes scripting and copy paste coding
Freespace RTS Mod
Checkpoint/Shipsaveload script

Offline Enioch

To clarify, the collaborative game would probably involve a series of "regular" posts by me, with  (perhaps every in-game year) interruptions for commissioning new ship designs. Ideally, I'd be providing the save game file for the "shipyards" to play with and submit their own crazy prototypes, but I'd also accept submissions in other forms (blueprint-like drawings, statssheets etc.) from those that do not or will not own the game.

Expect unreasonable expectations from the admiralty and compromises.

For obvious reasons, this would best work with 3-4 shipyards competing. If we can't get that, I'm not even starting this, it'd be doomed to fail. :blah:

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
To clarify, the collaborative game would probably involve a series of "regular" posts by me, with  (perhaps every in-game year) interruptions for commissioning new ship designs. Ideally, I'd be providing the save game file for the "shipyards" to play with and submit their own crazy prototypes, but I'd also accept submissions in other forms (blueprint-like drawings, statssheets etc.) from those that do not or will not own the game.

Expect unreasonable expectations from the admiralty and compromises.

For obvious reasons, this would best work with 3-4 shipyards competing. If we can't get that, I'm not even starting this, it'd be doomed to fail. :blah:

You're going to make me buy this game, aren't you

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
I am very definitely interested in doing a collaborative thing.

Me too.

Although I am not a that interested in military history per se, but looking at the time period I would be nice to try and and emulate the stylings of News Reels. (I did a paper on the the Brithsh Pathé/Pathé News just a year back and have been using them as a source for years.)

Also, if you are doing the USSR I am more than willing to volunteer my knowledge of maxist orthodoxy. (It's going to be a welcome change of pace after the dealthing with the stuff I am using to build NTF Dialgoue right now.)

EDIT: April Fools Prank removed.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 04:35:06 pm by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."