Author Topic: GTF Iapetus RELEASE  (Read 12327 times)

Those were some good comments. I'm not entirely sure that "FreeSpace-y" means it has to be much heavier looking. I was going through the wiki, and it's the new models that are heavier looking, not necessarily the originals. True, the original Freespace models had more paneling (which I'm working on), but it wasn't until the HTL models came along that the ships looked like they had  meter thick armour plating. I'm not a fan of the tortoise/michelin-man look, so I'm going to keep my armour toned down a bit. There'll probably some rivets and things I guess, to make it look heavier.

I agree with the texture being a bit dull. My background is in steel sculpture, and we don't often paint our sculptures because it interferes with the form. So here's an update, with a bit more pop to the texture:

The original p3d link at the beginning of of the thread is still active.

Here's with a darker cockpit;

I like it, but you need to do something meaningful with the loops and the projections at the front rather than just having them there for blank structure.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Looks cool. Overall concept is pretty unique and works very well as post-Capella GTVA fighter. I have only one question - Glass. For what? Isn't it better to place standard transparent glass with a visible cockpit behind?
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
There is no "law" that says all Freespace ships must have a transparent glass cabin. I, for one, say: keep it like this, it's refreshing.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
There is no "law" that says all Freespace ships must have a transparent glass cabin. I, for one, say: keep it like this, it's refreshing.

I have to agree with this

as for the cockpit texture I like the darker one better, still not sold on the loops though but hey it still looks good

Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
The side pods and wings match the usual freespace style. I'd say this ship is freespace enough. Even with the loops. That's a very nice, refreshing design and efficient execution. I learned a thing or two on baking normals watching this  :yes:
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
My background is in steel sculpture, and we don't often paint our sculptures because it interferes with the form.

Dude, that's great! You already have good insights due to your background!
The thing is, you have to make the texture subordinate to the form, an enhancement of the form, if you will. Look at the Apollo, Athena, Herc2, Ares. Their textures are designed to make the original form read better.
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
I really like to one. It looks like a mix of a Myrmidon, Ulysses, and Perseus to me. I've always hated the transparent glass cockpits in the HTLs, so I actually like this opaque cockpit. The darker one is nice. The old Volition FS1 wallpaper of the Ulysses was how I imagined the cockpits are supposed to be for that particular fighter. I think you did a great job improving on that look.

I don't particularly care for the pattern, however. It doesn't add anything. The subdued look on the dark cockpit looks quite nice but feels unnecessary.

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
the new color scheme is much better, but the star on the cockpit still looks a bit silly, to be honest when i first saw the model i thought it was just a WIP placeholder image
nothing wrong with opaque cockpits though
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

The thing is, you have to make the texture subordinate to the form, an enhancement of the form, if you will. Look at the Apollo, Athena, Herc2, Ares. Their textures are designed to make the original form read better.

I would have to disagree with you there. I think you're confusing "adding complexity" with "complementing the form". Those examples you gave all have normal maps, which increases the apparent complexity. Increased detail and complexity does not necessarily enhance the form. Think camouflage; lots of detail serving to break up the form.

On a smooth piece of mesh, the eye slides easily along its length. In the art world this is often described as visual energy or visual flow. If you have a texture line perpendicular across its length, your eye stops at it, before moving on. This breaks up the flow of the form. The greater the strength of the line (more colour, contrast, etc) the more visual stopping power it has.

Normal maps are particularly good at breaking up the form of the model. Not only do they appear to be physical features attached to the hull, they have highlights and shadows that heighten the contrast between the various texture elements. Add to that, the nvidia DDS plugin on Photoshop tend to make very pronounced details. In the end, normal maps enhance the detail of the ship, but not it's form.

So in the end, it comes down to a tug of war between the surface detail and the form. Too little detail and the form is visible but it might look plain (such as this fighter). Too much detail, and you won't be able to see the sweet curves of the ship (compare the before and after image of the Perseus on the wiki). Beyond that, and the ship will look like the Michelin man.

So anyways, those are my thoughts on that topic. For this ship, the paint job was intended to break up the form a bit and trap the viewer's eye. Same with the S-curve on the front wings. The colours (accidently) work well with the Suicide Kings' colour scheme, as well. I migth get rid of the star, though it has to be replaced with something. An Ace? Some eyes? A skull?

Offline Luis Dias

Usually my instinct on that debate is to go for a "fractal" kind of scaling. To that I mean, some huge plain faces where you do need the flow you are talking about, but at near the end, or at the margins, complexity emerges a bit and then at some points it goes into full excess. Homeworld does this kind of thing pretty much in all of their ships and the result is staggering.

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
on the picture with the red star it looks as if something curvy was painted right beneath the star, that would fit
one suggestion though: the canopy really should be dark; dark gold or even black, it looks really weird if it's white
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I quite like the white cockpit has sorta a cyberpunk feel.  Though instead of a star, have you considered a skull motif?
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Lorric

I quite like the white cockpit has sorta a cyberpunk feel.  Though instead of a star, have you considered a skull motif?

It puzzles me why people don't like the star, I don't have a problem with it.

Anyway, if he keeps the star, you can shoot it, and live up to your name.  :)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 01:43:36 pm by Lorric »

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I don't begrudge the star to be honest, its just the shape and colour of the cockpit lends itself to death's head rictus.

Originally it was supposed to be a skull. My concept drawings all had skulls on them. I was worried that it might look too much like James Raynor's helmet.

Few suggestions, which I don't expect you to follow as the modelling seems finished.

1. I would personally add like some small pylons/nacelles to the rings. Like if the top ring had say two smaller ones at about 45' degree elevation from the fuselage and the lower one had, say one smaller one at the bottom. I think it would give the rings a bit more, form or function. Like one could imagine those nacelles as being sensor module or thruster module, that sort of thing. Large enough to break up the form a bit but not so large as to overpower the ring visually.

2. For the upper ring, I would create a structural difference at the point where it meets the lower ring. Like a raised surface at the base for example. Or perhaps conversely, a little indented area with a bit of the underworking showing. Basically just a detail to sort of suggest how it might be constructed in a factory.

3. For the forward prongs, I would cut into the form a little at the very tip of the inside edge just to break up the shape a bit and make it a bit more interesting. Not sure how to best describe it? Bevel? Like bevel the edge? And maybe with the outside tip, cut the corner tip off as well. Not so much as to change the shape, just enough to distinguish the end of the prongs as being the end of the prongs.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Originally it was supposed to be a skull. My concept drawings all had skulls on them. I was worried that it might look too much like James Raynor's helmet.

I was thinking more Chiggy von Richthofen myself :D