Author Topic: Slammers... advice?  (Read 5774 times)

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
The Slammer is an awesome variation on the cluster bomb... I just wish I could use it right.

Any tips? Useful-to-know numbers, or estimates of "effective range" / when to detonate?

Also, how can you make sure you don't accidentally fire a second Slammer when you mean to detonate the first? That's happened at least once when I waited to the last minute, and it was really annoying (but it happens with FS2's remote-detonation missiles too, IIRC)

Offline Infamus

detonate about 200-300 meters before impact,so the bombs have time to spread as the fighters fly through the soon-to-be cluster-phuck, works every time, and make sure they are coming AT you

oh and save these for bombers
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH
BARRA
BARRA
BARRA CUDA
yeah

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
It detonates on its own, just fire and forget.

Although, pick targets that are still in intact wing formations.  Launch at the leading fighter/bomber of the group.  Watch the fireworks.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Slammers automatically detonate when they're 150 meters from target. For best effectiveness depending on enemy formation and heading, you can detonate it earlier. Slammer childs have 750m range, traveling at 300m/s. Each of the 25 childs can pick their own target.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline azile0

• Resident Trekkie
If you use the double-fire feature, you can splash an entire bomber wing in one shot.
You get one chocolate chip.

. <--- There it is.

Self-proclaimed master of the Keypad.

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
If you use the double-fire feature, you can splash an entire bomber wing in one shot.

I've seen a single slammer splash an entire bomber wing.  It's just difficult to do reliably.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
You can switch to another secondary weapon to prevent premature release of another slammer. As to effectiveness, last time I played I found it better to manually detonate the thing. When you approach the targets and launch the missile, fly "to the side" so that the target and missiles are not exactly lined up. That will give you better ability to judge the relative velocities of the targets and the missile (plus better view for epic screenshots). Also makes it easier to keep track of missile distance indicator and target distance. The most effective detonation distance depends from lots of things that you'll pretty much need to learn on your own.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The current record for largest Slammer multi kill is 6 Artemises, by QD I think.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
Whenever I tried to use them, the formations broke long before they were in range of my slammers.  I don't think I ever got more than one kill at a time out of them.  Extra damage to a bunch, though.
I like to stare at the sun.

The current record for largest Slammer multi kill is 6 Artemises, by QD I think.

Sure it wasn't E?
He's much better with slammers than I am because I don't use them often.
It's possible it was in one of my DE beta feedbacks in irc tho, cuz they made me use slammers when I hadn't been previously :P
Felt cheesey so I stopped and substituted with Grimlers.
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
I pulled six artemis bombers on DE on one of my testing playthroughs. Man, I love that weapon.

Offline Snail

• SC 5

Sure it wasn't E?
It's possible it was in one of my DE beta feedbacks in irc tho, cuz they made me use slammers when I hadn't been previously :P
Yeah I think it was The E.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Sure it wasn't E?

You don't use Hellfires?
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

I normally fly with Hellfires yes, I make a bit of an exception for DE on insane.
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I've also scored an entire wing of Artemis bombers with one Slammer, but it wasn't the final version.

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)

I think I can beat that with 6 direct kills, one where my slammer did the most damage to it that when it was finished up I got another kill. Delenda Est, just before the 2nd Strike package shows up and you've got to take on a lot of fighters burning towards you. One warhead, not dual-fire either. ('course, my computer crashed later when the Imperieuse showed up, but you can't have everything). It's not much of a margin, and was the result of some rather nice circumstances and many replays of Delenda Est (For enjoyment, I seem to have beating the mission on Medium down a pat)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 07:33:13 pm by Ravenholme »
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
I think the slammer six-kill record is actually held by an AI.  IIRC, one of the pilots in a playtest The E was doing dropped one and completely kapwned 6 Tevs at once.  And not a slammer damage/primary cleanup combo--six direct slammer kills.  At once. 

Fury, what kind of monster AI have you created?
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I've gotten six kills with a double shot. :nervous:

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

I think I can beat that with 6 direct kills, one where my slammer did the most damage to it that when it was finished up I got another kill. Delenda Est, just before the 2nd Strike package shows up and you've got to take on a lot of fighters burning towards you. One warhead, not dual-fire either. ('course, my computer crashed later when the Imperieuse showed up, but you can't have everything). It's not much of a margin, and was the result of some rather nice circumstances and many replays of Delenda Est (For enjoyment, I seem to have beating the mission on Medium down a pat)

I wonder if this means I shouldn't patch it. Maybe it's just the next Forced Entry!