Author Topic: hey WCS guys, got a new toy for you  (Read 6734 times)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
hey WCS guys, got a new toy for you
I was just looking in your pimpage thread, and I see the shots of your hangers, and it gave me the inititive to code in some submodel detail code. the idea being you make a hanger submodel and it only renderes when you are inside of it, therefore the hanger submodel can be rediculusly over detailed (like 100,000 polys... eh maybe) I also coded in some controle on how it determines when to render the subobject

to activate it, copy and paste this
$detail_box: 1
into the submodel properties feild, the parser for this is realy _realy_ strict (i.e. poorly designed, there must be exactly one space after the colin for example)
(a negitive one should render an object only when you are _not_ inside it's bounding box)

there is also some untested code for added controle over the rendering box, might be fun if it works.

$box_min: min_x ,min_y , min_z
$box_max: max_x ,max_y , max_z

that would be, relitive to the center of the object, how far in x y and z you can go before it stops rendering.

I'm going to look into that nontargetable flag you wanted also, but that deals with with the subsystem code and the targeting code as well as the submodel code (the subsystem code is insane, I've had little experience with the targeting code)

http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/blackwater/fs2_open_r_hang.zip
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
this sounds very promising. In fact this is the way hangar was loded by origin sys. :)
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
good glad you like it :)
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
alright, I'm updateng the zip, I think I have gotten non-targetable submodel code working, but the way the targeting code is set up is nutty, every targeting option has it's own code path, and I may have put my code in the wrong place or missed some way of targeting something (the old 'J' bug that allowed you to target the Shivan fighters in the first mission were they showed up in FS1 is a good example of this) so test it, it worked in the quicky test I ran.

to activate, simply type
$nontargetable
into the subobject properties feild of any submodel you want to not be targetable.
the file will probly be uploaded by the time anyone reads this
« Last Edit: November 24, 2004, 08:55:15 am by 57 »
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
Hey cool stuff...hope it works well then we could make some real nice stuff....just a question...what is shown when you use these code and are outside the renderingrange? Does it show the "normal" detail we have in their now?
Cause it way origin made it you got some odd looking effects, cause they closed the hangars with just a texture...and that textures was allways the same from every angle.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
if you are out of the render range it will simply not be rendered, you can set up a seperate low detail model to be rendered in it's place, or several diferent models of varying complexity and have detail reagons along the way out from the hanger, or you could just make a bunch of detail added on top of geometry that is part of the ship's hull geometry (this and a combination of the one before it would probly be the best idea)

think of it as haveing a trigger regon for rendering or not rendering geometry.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
Ok that sounds good...now we need somehting to test it.
Starman haven't you started a new hangar allready? Maybe you could try it with that.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
there's actualy a lot of other things this could be used for, like adding super detaild bits into a model, if you've looked at my HTL deimos, the engine tubeing on the back would be an exelent place to use this sort of code. I have intentions of makeing a seperate submodel detail code (for hveing arrays of anteni and stuff) later but for big things (like stuff you might want to blow up or have animated) this would probly work better.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Lynx

Dude, that's cool.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set fire to him and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Man, this sounds awesome, this will be my best christmas-present :D Thanks for your efforts bobboau ;)

I'm not really sure I understand everything, gotta read it a few times.

Are now both versions active, meaning the "$detail_box: 1" and the "$nontargetable" ?

I will try the second one asap, but I'm currently not really sure how to do the detailed hangar-thing.

As for your question Lars, in the "hangar-project"-topic is the picture of the original hangar I build It had a rather low  polycount, but wouldn't be so bad after Lynx laid his hands on.

I'm much interested in the subsystem thing, but I'm curious to see how the other thing is developing. :) Together with Goober5000's change for the fighterbay-selection we will be one big step forward.

I will update a hangar right now for testing ;)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Farking 'ell.  You should post this in the news or SCP forum Bob, I could do with using this sort of thing.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
both things are in this, they are totaly independent of each other so you can use one or the other or both or neither.
the detail box will by default use the subobjects bounding box as a render triger, you can specify your own box if you want useing the $box_min: and $box_max: thingys.

also I did all this from a fresh copy of the code, so I should be able to comit code for the first time in months.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Hm, when I use a table-entry with a modified model, the game
won't even start anymore and chrashes right instantly.

Flags used are :

fs2_open_r_hang.exe -glow -jpgtga  -ambient_factor 100

The subsystem looks like this :

(Name : fighter01a)
$special=subsystem
$nontargetable

Table-Entry :

$Subsystem:                     fighter01a,     2, 0.0

I didn't specified a name, since it isn't targetable anyway.
Anything wrong ?
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Lynx

If it works, at least it will give us an excuse to owerwork some of our models again. It's almost like an addiction...the model is finished and some time later you think, "hey I actually don't like that and that, and that could be better...":D
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set fire to him and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
try giveing it a name anyway, the test pof I have has a name specified, so it's posable there might be some dependency (though I doubt it). also make sure it works without the tag.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
OK, I have given them names too in the needed syntax.

Game starts now, but Mission-loading fails. Older builds work though, and the new subsystems work there as they should too.

If Tolwyn's agrees, I can provide you model and maps for testing purpose.

(correction) Mission loading works, CTD comes when you enter the mission-area
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
hmmm,
/*waits for the model*/

wouldn't be the first time I got a model from you guys, so I think I'm not a security risk, but I understand protocol.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
I do agree :) What are you waiting for, Starman? :D
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Well, I should have his email-adress, so I can send a email with an attachment. :)

Or how about giving him internal access anyway? This would be much more convinient (and we must not discuss these things in puplic), then I could simply post a link for him.

What do you think, Admiral ? ;)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
upload it, and PM me the link

(I have to go to work in about half an hour so I'm probly not going to get much done today, but I'll probly get it during the weekend)
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3