Author Topic: Suggestions for Improvement of Gameplay  (Read 5230 times)

Suggestions for Improvement of Gameplay
Hey all

I recently replayed the prologue and thought through some things that I think need improvement. I'm not sure if some of these have already been discussed but anyway...

Firstly When you start taking hull damage there should be some sound affect where you start to hear your ship blowing apart. The kind of sound that would make the chief tech cringe.  :) I find that there are so many things to focus on that I'm often not aware that my hull is taking damage and my hull can lose like 50% status real quickly. A part of your hud should flash (perhaps the hull status rating) when you take damage.

If possible an armor layer should be added to cushion the hull a bit more

Thirdly when you take damage at any point below 25% an emergency alarm should sound for about 4 seconds after the impact.

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Re: Suggestions for Improvement of Gameplay
Thank you for you input TheLeadSled.

We'll have to see if some these suggestions can be taken into consideration when new features are implemented to the Wing Commander Saga.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Phenix

I'e got another suggestion on how to inprove gameplay......give us multiplayer  :D :D :D  :pimp:

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
No multiplayer before 3.6.10 is ready. Although I must say, that the new network code is very stable.
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline starlord

Do you plan to include the "breaking screens" of Wc 1 and 2 in your cockpits? (when you take a critical amount of damage, your instruments screen blow off).

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
at first, we need cockpits
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Rather a different cockpit support that would allow to map gauges directly onto the cockpit model. ;)
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline starlord

What about full missile salvos (WC3 and Wc4)? are those possible in freespace?

Offline Backslash

• Bring Our Might To Bear
Probably... but how did salvos work in WC3/4?  I must not have done that, I'm very stingy with my missiles.  plus it was 10 years ago so I don't remember  ;)

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
Like guns you could link together the missiles so that one missile of each bay was fired in one salvo, except for torpedos IIRC.
I can't remember how the look-on function was used but I think it just took the last missile that you single used and take that lock-on for all the missiles.
So an Arrow, for example, with 4 missile bays would fire 4 missiles at once. A Hellcat with only two bays would fire two missiles.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline Backslash

Yeah I definitely didn't ever do that! :lol:  Wow, I had totally forgotten that some non-bombers had 4 bays instead of two.  Looks like I've been doing the HUD pictures wrong.  'Darn it' now I am 'forced' to go play WC3 again, purely for 'research' purposes :p

As you may know in Freespace you can switch to 'dual fire' missiles in one bank by pressing shift / ... but that's only one bank at a time.  Still, it's firing from two 'points'.  That sort of makes more sense than firing from all four banks on an Arrow, because how can it fire both image and heat missiles at the same time?  ...if you're carrying a mixed load that is ;)

I have been experimenting with a feature that would allow firing from all banks that contain the same type of missile at once.  However it is not done, and not high on my priority list at the moment.

Offline KeldorKatarn

In WC 4 at least, and possibly in wc3 too, you could specifically select which missile hardpoint was to be fired. Not just one or all. You could just fire all torpedoes or all ImRecs, from what I remember.

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
I think I only used that "feature" in two missions. The first was when you have to fight Flash in WC3. Its nearly impossible to evade 4 missiles at close range that have locked on so the mission was the shortes one I was ever flying.
The other one was against this electronic warfare ship in WC4. I just used all my dumbfires in one salvo.

This are the only two situations where I would use this feature. Kicking other Aces ass or giving a light fighter a punch against small capships it normaly dosn't have.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
anyone remember the big bad badass Dreadnought?  :)
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
Nooo tell me what is it ^_^

Ok about the salvos :
you could link any hardpoints together ie 1st and 3rd, 2nd 3rd and 4th etc, or all.
each missile still locked down in it's own time and way, however you saw only the fastest locking missiles's sequence (excluding DF wich have none...) however when you fired, only missiles that were already locked on the target fired (ie if you were charging Flash heads on with all banks, you fired only imreks, and no HS's this is also reason why you didnt fire torps usually)

I actually used it quite a lot in the last missions of WC3, with my excal carrying at least 2 banks of DF's to kill capships fast and nice

@Backlash also note that longbow has 4 missile and 2 torp banks making it a total of SIX banks.. generally:
arrow: 4 missile banks, 2 missiles each (4 total)
hellcat: 2 banks, 3 each
excalibur: 4 banks, 3 each (or 2 banks 3 each + 1 bank with 1 t-bomb)
t-bolt 2missile banks 3 each + 1 torp bank with 1 torp 9, 3 total)
longbow 4 missile banks 4 each + 2 torp banks 2 each, total 6 banks

Offline Backslash

Ah, that lock method makes more sense.  Thanks for the explanation.

Well I found my WC3 CDs and have been catching up on old times. :cool: Unfortunately I can't find my manual, so what is the control for linking hardpoints?

Offline starlord

pressing "B" will link your hard points for simulteanous fire. In case of a mixed load, you will be able to fire a full salvo only when the missiles with the longest lock time are on target.

or you can use "[" to move the frame on weapons screen and then "]" to add,remove framed hardpoint