Author Topic: Gun question  (Read 6227 times)

Offline Haliwali

• Cake is a lie.
    • Myspace. Please be my friend
Will we be seeing any flak cannons?
The cake is a Lie.

They littered the beach as dense as a crowded Tokyo street during a Final Fantasy release riot. The slow, tottering advance only heightened the suspense of this freakishly ironic scene.

The turtles were revolting,
and nobody could stop them.

First they came for the Jedi,
and I did not speak out.
because I was not a Jedi.
Then they came for the giant robots.
and I did not speak out
because I was not a giant robot.
Then they came for the Nerds,
and I was screwed.

Sparkly Weasel, meet Forceful Chainsaw

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Haliwali

• Cake is a lie.
    • Myspace. Please be my friend
But... but flak is cool...
You know what-
FLAK YOU! AND THE HORSE YOU RODE IN ON!
I'm sorry.
 :(
The cake is a Lie.

They littered the beach as dense as a crowded Tokyo street during a Final Fantasy release riot. The slow, tottering advance only heightened the suspense of this freakishly ironic scene.

The turtles were revolting,
and nobody could stop them.

First they came for the Jedi,
and I did not speak out.
because I was not a Jedi.
Then they came for the giant robots.
and I did not speak out
because I was not a giant robot.
Then they came for the Nerds,
and I was screwed.

Sparkly Weasel, meet Forceful Chainsaw

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Err wow...

So anyways do you remember the last time you saw flak in WC3 or WC4.  No?  Thats probably why the team isn't including flak.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Err wow..

It's a joke.

Two guys go into a bar and one wants to see flak cannons in Saga. And the other one says, "there was no flak in WC3 or WC4, which is probably why the team isn't including it."

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
At least you don't have a constant stream of people asking for Newtonian physics despite the fact that the source material obviously didn't have it either. :p

BtRL and TBP get that a lot.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
Well both have a half newtonian flightstyle and I think BTRL did a wonderfull job with their style.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
And that's the point. We did a good job copying the style of the show but people constantly ask about it cause they think it's cool even if it doesn't actually fit the show.

It's the same with flak. If there's no flak in the WC games I can't see why it should be in WCS.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
Well there has been flaks in WC and WC2 but not anymore in the later games. If someone wants to do a WC1 or 2 mod on his own he could use the FS flaks. Maybe change the graphics a bit and he would be ready to go.

About Newton. I don't know what people find so good about it. I have played I-War and "I found here" not for long but enough to say that I don't like it that much.
When it comes to fitting with the show. Well sometimes they show stuff like the glide/slide manuver, IIRC but for the most time its more like aircombat then newtonain.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
Err wow..

It's a joke.

Two guys go into a bar and one wants to see flak cannons in Saga. And the other one says, "there was no flak in WC3 or WC4, which is probably why the team isn't including it."

Wooosh :)

I definitely did not get it :D
- IceFire

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Well there has been flaks in WC and WC2 but not anymore in the later games. If someone wants to do a WC1 or 2 mod on his own he could use the FS flaks. Maybe change the graphics a bit and he would be ready to go.

About Newton. I don't know what people find so good about it. I have played I-War and "I found here" not for long but enough to say that I don't like it that much.
When it comes to fitting with the show. Well sometimes they show stuff like the glide/slide manuver, IIRC but for the most time its more like aircombat then newtonain.

Even the first season of B5 had physics errors. For instance, if the Aurora's maneuvering thrusters fired to make it roll, it would have to fire the opposite thrusters to make it stop rolling. In B5, the Aurora stops rotating as soon as the maneuvering thrusters cut off.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Wooosh :)

I definitely did not get it :D

It was a rhetorical trope. Get used to it. :D

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline KeldorKatarn

According to the WC sources both the Neutron Gun and the Flak cannon were retired in 2668, meaning roughly one year before Saga, so it is no longer in service and therefore not featured in Saga.

If someone ever plans a Saga-like campaign at an earlier date, say in the early 2660s or the 2650s, then you might see the Flak cannon there =)

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
I was looking through some stuff and the Flak is only mentioned in WC2 and Armada. No other game has Flaks as weapon for capital ships. In all the other games ships had Laserturrets as their primary defence.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
WC1 has flak in-game.  The manual says turret lasers and all manners of other things but its all just flak.
- IceFire

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
Ah wonderfull world of manual/game problems that is Wing Commander ^_^

I have watched at some WC1 ingame material again and there where ships with flaks. Good eyes/memorys IceFire.
Still since there is this differance you could arm WC1 ships with laser or flak turrets or even a mix since both would be correct.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
A mix would surely look interesting :)

The differences and mistakes between game and manual are plentiful.  Throw in the books which don't always agree with the games and you have a recipe for years of arguments :D
- IceFire

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
I don't argue about the differences...everything that is official is true ^_^

Offline KeldorKatarn

As I said, according to the WC Kilrathi Saga manual the Flak cannon was retired in 2668. Before that ships would probably have a mix of flak and lasers. In the WC1 days Flaks were mostly used though from what I can remember.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
I don't argue about the differences...everything that is official is true ^_^
Probably for the best :)
- IceFire