Author Topic: Saga Prologue on Linux Ubunt 8.10  (Read 2684 times)

Offline Phenix

Saga Prologue on Linux Ubunt 8.10
Hi to the WC SAGA team.
I recently installed Linux Ubuntu 8.10 on my notebook...and I was aking myself if it is possible to install WC SAGA PROLOGUE in this OS. If yes, can someone please tell me how to do it?
Thx in advance and keep up the good work. Can't wait for the final release!  :)

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Re: Saga Prologue on Linux Ubunt 8.10
Operating system-wise there shouldn't be any trouble (?), it's more related on the hardware you have... assuming you have a DRI-capable graphics processing unit and drivers for it that allow direct rendering, then it should work.

Except if the WCSaga executable has some exotic features you will need a Linux executable version of it. I don't know if compiling from the SVN would include all the features used in WCSaga... :nervous:
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
WCS prologue used the last release candidate before 3.6.9 IIRC. So a standard compile of the 3.6.9 tag should work just fine.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
As it stands you have two options:

a) install Prologue on a windows system and copy all files over to your notebook
b) install Prologue using Wine or Cedega

Download 3.6.9 Linux binaries from the SCP forum.
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Phenix

thx for the reply.

my specs are:

notebook Acer Aspire 5502Wxmi
Centrino 770 (1 core) 2,13 Ghz
2 Gb ram
Ati radeon X700 64 Mb Vram

on Windows XP, Saga runs at 60 FPS all the time in 1280x800 (LCD native resolution) with full detail turned on.
So i was wandering how would it perform on Linux.

I am only beginning to use Ubuntu 8.1, so I am not good at recompileing.... hope it works.
I will try as soon as I can and keep you updated.