Author Topic: New engine features?  (Read 5783 times)

New engine features?
With the release only two days away now, I was curious: What sort of new features, if any, has WCS created for FSOpen that have found/will find their way back to the SCP?

I haven't really been following this project too closely, admittedly, so now that I find you're all so close to finishing (Congratulations, by the way) I have noticed you and the astonishing things promised in the release trailer.
This is my only contribution to FSSCP

These mods are made from natural code that we pump in from retail. If you tried to run one, it would be like standing outside with nostalgia and pure awesome shining on your face. It would also set your computer on fire, so don't actually do it.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: New engine features?
I believe WCS forked from the SCP codebase a while ago.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Right now, none of the work the WCS people did after the fork is in FSO. Whether anything of what they did can be ported over remains to be seen.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline CaptJosh

Wasn't being able to land instead of jump out a WCS feature that is still in the SCP?
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Nope, landing has to be SEXPed in FRED, the "landing code" (runway touchdowns) was in fact for Diaspora.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Wasn't being able to land instead of jump out a WCS feature that is still in the SCP?

simple distance less than triggering mission end SEXP, iirc they are all FS retail features
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga

simple distance less than triggering mission end SEXP, iirc they are all FS retail features

Precisely.
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline CaptJosh

Oh, nevermind.

But wait, in the only WC named game I played though, you actually had to be inside the bay before the mission would end. That was Prophecy, admittedly, but still, you had to actually get inside the bay before the mission over event would trigger unless it was one of those missions where if you didn't get inside, the TCS Midway was going to jump out and leave you behind if you didn't get there in time. In which case, the mission could end with you watching the Midway and any support craft she might have around jumping out.

So how do you make it work if that was the dynamic for all the Wing Commander games and not just Prophecy? Pick a point and make sure you can't get close enough without going into the bay by careful design of the models and setting of the SEXP?
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.

Precisely.
Except the last part. The end-mission SEXP was added by SCP, though it was quite long ago. It still wasn't for WCS, which didn't even had a demo at the time (IIRC, I don't really remember when exactly this SEXP was introduced).

Offline Swifty

• I reject your fantasy & substitute my own
Will the WCS source code be publically available eventually? There are a certain key features implemented since the fork that I would like to backport over such as some rendering optimizations, collision code optimizations, soft particle rendering, and my world famous font fix. :D

Offline Light

Don't forget the widescreen support.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Will the WCS source code be publically available eventually? There are a certain key features implemented since the fork that I would like to backport over such as some rendering optimizations, collision code optimizations, soft particle rendering, and my world famous font fix. :D
They promised it'll be, so I guess they'll release it at some point. It'd be more useful too port WCS features to FSO. They're suprisingly few of them (that I noticed), BTW. A lot of them seems to be in the HUD code, which would fit nicely into your HUD_gauges.tbl system. There are some lighting improvements, most likely some new SEXPs, some new AI Profiles and AI.tbl stuff and... I don't really know what else.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Optimizations, better shield code and a lot of other stuff I forgot.

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Talon 1024

• How do you turn this on?
    • Mods, Games, and Stuff
If possible, I wonder if we can eventually merge most of the new WCS features into trunk, so that future FSO builds will be able to run WCSaga.
To understand religion, you need to understand morality first. | WCSaga website | WCSaga Forum | 158th website | 158th forum | Project Leader: WC: Hostile Frontier | WCHF Thread at CIC | Wing Blender | Twist of Fate | Multipart turrets on angled surfaces, tutorial included. | My Google Drive stuff | To convert speeds from WC to WCS, multiply both the cruise speed and the Afterburner speed by 0.15625 (5/32)

FS2 Mods I'm waiting on: Inferno 10th Anniversary
Current Project: Contestant Android app, Learn4Life iOS app, Blender Commander (importer).
The FreeSpace Font Foundry is back in action!

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
That is going to be a huge undertaking. We changed the behavior of several sexps, fixed numerous bugs in the code and introduced several new sexps.

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Optimizations, better shield code and a lot of other stuff I forgot.
Optimizations are always welcome, though the trunk has also gotten plenty of them recently. I hope they'll be compatible.
What exactly is the "better shield code"? Anyway, I don't think that anything was done to shield code in trunk, so it should be possible to port.
As for SEXPs, those are among the easiers thing to add to FSO. The only concern is changed behavior of the existing SEXPs, as they can't be changed in trunk for backwards compatiblity. There are ways around that, but they'd require modifications to WCS missions (though they'd be small ones in most cases).

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I for one am going to be enjoying WCS on its own terms before worrying about how to cannibalize features that will probably never end up used in FSO anyway.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Aside from fixing a bug in the shield code, which would allow random shots to penetrate shielding? Shield rendering is now particle based - simply compare the FSO behavior as seen in the 2010 trailer with the recent footage. The difference is mostly visible on capital ships.

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Quote from: 'Tolwyn'
Aside from fixing a bug in the shield code, which would allow random shots to penetrate shielding?
Man, this bug annoyed me so much in freespace. (though using the surface shield flag gets around that)

Quote from: 'Tolwyn'
Shield rendering is now particle based - simply compare the FSO behavior as seen in the 2010 trailer with the recent footage. The difference is mostly visible on capital ships.
I'm intrigued, How does this new system work?
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Table-wise there's no change, but it looks much, much better.
This definitely needs to go into trunk.