Author Topic: Cheat Codes  (Read 13006 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Hang on just a second here. "I am offended they removed the cheat codes" is just bull****. Wing Commander Saga is their project, and they forked the FSO code explicitly because the WCS team wanted full control over what features the user gets access to.

KeldorKatarn, Tolwyn, you guys have done incredible work (even though I disagree with some of your decisions regarding the engine, but that's neither here nor there). But, as with all incredible works released here, they get criticized a lot. Some of that criticism is well-founded, some (like this) is not. Personally, I would be disappointed if you were to withhold the release of your SDK from HLP because of the usual bull**** that every game release gets these days; but as with all things, that is entirely your decision.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Woah KeldorKatarn. If anyone is being hostile, its you at the moment! What's with the attitude?

I gotta agree with Woolie Wool here, the players on HLP are for the most part 'die hard' PC gamers. We like having options and we don't like having options taken away from us. Removing things like the F3 shiplab, cheats, shift+ctrl+s in the tech room and things like that will just make us scratch our head wondering why coding time was devoted to that. I mean, removing these things for the average joe who has never heard of freespace seems kinda pointless. As they won't know about these shortcuts anyway!
What personally annoys me is not having full screen windowed mode. I like being able to pause the game for a moment to type a quick reply in irc on my second screen without having the whole game minimize on me.

Anyway the campaign is massive, I've already spend a few hours into the game and I only just reached the double digits. I'm sure that many like me are not even half way through the campaign. So what you guys are hearing right now are mostly initial impressions. Give it some time so people can finish the campaign and give you reviews and all that good stuff!
I for one am quite enjoying what ive seen of the actual campaign so far! Great voice acting for a Freespace mod, if not the best yet. And the campaign&gameplay captures the Wing Commander feel very well!
I'm kinda sad that I'm apparantly not even considered to be the 'target audience' though. Kinda harsh.  :(
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Actually the HLP isn't even on our list.

The HLP might be the target audience for our SDK though. But considering what's going on here at the moment that becomes more and more unlikely.

100 % Agree
People play the game and have fun.
In the moment this thread looks like a crusade.
I see this so: This Game is for all WC Fans all over the World and not only for HLP.

And i am sure that the Dev's release later any tools like Fred or Debug Builds.
But for now People please calm down and enjoy the wonderful game OK?

Thank you all !!!

Offline KeldorKatarn

Actually the HLP isn't even on our list.

The HLP might be the target audience for our SDK though. But considering what's going on here at the moment that becomes more and more unlikely.

100 % Agree
People play the game and have fun.
In the moment this thread looks like a crusade.
I see this so: This Game is for all WC Fans all over the World and not only for HLP.

And i am sure that the Dev's release later any tools like Fred or Debug Builds.
But for now People please calm down and enjoy the wonderful game OK?

Thank you all !!!

That was the plan. And we didn't remove the features (except for several command line options which would totally break our game because we simply do not support them with our assets)
lab, cheats etc are all still available in the debug build. FRED is also alive and kicking but has no place in the hands of a normal player.
We will release this stuff when we have prepared it and have gone through it.
We also planned to release texture tutorials, mission templates and a ****load of other stuff. I also just put in several hours of work to re-integrate the old mouse controls, updatig the entire UI screen for that in the process.

So we actually put a lot of thought into providing an SDK and other stuff for people like you.

Excatly because of that we're REALLY pissed at the reception we're getting here. Have any of you ****birds every thought about the possibility that a major release like this might give the HLP and FSOpen as much attention as it hasn't had in years?

Thanks for nothing guys, really. We've gotten nothing but bad attitude here right from the start. And now we're getting nothing but thanks from all the players out there and the only place where we get consistent bad winds is... again... here.

And you guys wonder why me might actually think about turning our backs and just go our own ways?

Guys, I'm a professional game developer and Tolwyn is also freelancing and earning his own money with this kind of work. We don't need any of this ok? We stuck to this community because we really support PC gaming and the modding community. But we DON'T support ****bird who do nothing but critisize when they haven't ever produced anything worthwile themselves.

So think about this before you post another line here next time.

We're more than happy to entertain any suggestions on how to maybe improve the game, we're more than happy to hear your opinions about the gameplay and the overall design. But we don't need this flaming campaign. We've got better things to do.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Wow.
What the hell man, chill out.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
This is seriously getting out of hand. Locked.
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis