Author Topic: player cloaking>  (Read 3016 times)

Guys is there any player cloaking in Saga, or is that not possible>

Offline Lorric

Guys is there any player cloaking in Saga, or is that not possible>

There isn't any in the actual game. I imagine it could be FREDded since they did it with the Strakhas. It looks very complex though looking at what they did in FRED to make it happen. You certainly can't just slap those ships down in a mission and them do that stuff on their own.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Without FSO's framebuffer cloaking, the best you can do is go the Dimensional eclipse way : switch ship class to a ship that has an animated texture that makes it look like it's undergoing cloaking, then switch to a purely transparent ship. It's a little heavy on the tabling side (need 3 ship copies, one uncloaked, one cloaking and one cloaked) and not necessarily very flexible on the FRED side, but it shouldn't be too hard to set up.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I think WCS forked long before Valathil implemented cloaking in the FSO engine, it could be faked using ship classes, so long as FSO/WCS:DD has those SEXPs implemented

ninjed by Matth
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Lorric

Without FSO's framebuffer cloaking, the best you can do is go the Dimensional eclipse way : switch ship class to a ship that has an animated texture that makes it look like it's undergoing cloaking, then switch to a purely transparent ship. It's a little heavy on the tabling side (need 3 ship copies, one uncloaked, one cloaking and one cloaked) and not necessarily very flexible on the FRED side, but it shouldn't be too hard to set up.

I believe this is what the Saga team have done. They have four Strakha ship classes. The Strakha, a cloak Strakha, an invisible Strakha and a decloak Strakha.

The same holds true for Stalker's custom Strakha and Deathfang's custom Vaktoth.

Aginor is working on player cloaking for his Kilrathi Mod.
Audio Converter of Enigma Campaign 2666:
http://enigma.de.to/

German translator of WC: Hostile Frontier:
http://www.ciinet.org/kevin/wchf/

My Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/FekLeyrTarg?feature=mhee

Awesome!!

Offline Aginor

• Spelljammer
I hope I can release my mod in 2012, depends on how much time I have during my winter vacation.
There will be a demo mission where you fly a Strakha.
In WCS the (AI only) Strakhas were done via very complex mission scripting, and I think 4 Strakhas at the same time were the maximum. The effect itself was done like mentioned above, with model switching.

I think there are only few ships that can cloak (you need 4 entries in ships.tbl for each one of them)
- Strakha
- Strakha ace
- Prowler
- Vaktoth ace
My standard mod only includes the Strakha at the moment, but it is possible to change that for future mods.

I did some massive LUA scripting to make modding cloaking easier and to get rid of some errors.
- weapons (switching the model did not transfer weapon energy, missile ammo, some stuff of damage status and so on. Players could perfectly abuse that. Also the Strakha could only use one type of missile. (solved)
- firing while cloaking/decloaking had some... interesting effects. (solved)
- the AI could not be commanded by a player to cloak (solved, the AI wingmen cloak based on their leader's commands, which is pretty cool once you know how to use it.)
- friendlies could always see cloaked ships if you didn't script the cloaking for each one. (solved)
- there was no visual effect so the player could see he was cloaked. I added a gauge and the hud changes color (and back of course).

But one of the most important things for me to do was to make it easier to use. You just need a few small scripts in your mission. The rest is LUA.
There is a small howto what to do so you can cloak yourself and ships, and a demo mission.
Member of the Scooby Doo model Fanclub "verticies and splines are the medium and he is the artist."

awesome dude.  My favorite aspect of WIng COmmander was the cloaking.

Offline Lorric

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
That's a nice effect.

I prefer the one built into the engine though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n07b6BiWiSA

(Of course, WCS doesn't support it, unless they've synced their engine to trunk recently)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 11:48:11 am by The E »
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Lorric

That's a nice effect.

I prefer the one built into the engine though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n07b6BiWiSA

(Of course, WCS doesn't support it, unless they've synced their engine to trunk recently)

Oh yes, that is very nice. Gorgeous effect.